a recent reliable Christian research/survey revealed that 2/3rds of Christian youths fell away from their Christian faith before starting college or employment. A reliable all Catholic research/survey showed 97% of Catholic school leavers walk away from the Church each year.Sadly and alas,it seems those with the best Christian background and education fell away in the greatest numbers.The cause has been pin pointed and the remedy suggested - anyone here care to suggest what could be the cause and a remedy or cure - twinc
In the parable of the farmer sowing the seed, Christ Himself indicated some would be lost - some would fall on bare ground - Satan would snatch away the seed as soon as it was sown; some in shallow soil, which had no root; some would start well but fall away with testing and the cares of this world, particularly marriage, employment, college, career etc… But some would persevere and reap a good crop.
Secondly we live in easy times in the West. In one sense, what’s the difference between a Christian and an atheist if both have similar roles in a beneficent society? Take a job - the atheist might do his or her job just as well as the Christian. So on the surface there’d be no difference, and in any case, what sort of witness does the Christian have if he’s got it easy, other than the fact he or she may not act or talk in certain ways?
I’ve got a book by a bloke called Brother Yun, who was severely treated for his faith in China. While he’s not Catholic, he made the point that in the West we don’t really need God, as we’ve got it so good. And he wasn’t impressed with the depth of Christian faith in a lot of cases. He could see through the extravagance of our “church building” programs.
Thirdly, a lot of kids in Catholic schools in particular, in my limited observation, don’t come from strongly Catholic backgrounds. Quite a number have parents just living together; many of the parents do not practice their religion strongly; there are a large number of single parents. I also think quite a number of parents send their kids to Catholic schools not because they are “religious”, but because they think their kids will get a better education, and not have the discipline problems faced by the state schools (although we’ve just had the example of one 13 year old student murdering a 12 year old student with a knife in a Catholic school in the north of Brisbane - rare, but it can happen anywhere).
I was packed off to Sunday School when I was a kid. But neither of my parents
ever went to church of their own accord, except for funerals, weddings etc., so as soon as I could, I got out of it. They could hardly insist I keep going if they didn’t set any sort of example themselves. And I did not really become a Christian until I’d been through the worst four years of my life.
I don’t see the church growing in Australia unless there is a severe crisis of some sort. The strongest Christians are formed in times of persecution. While most people can get along nicely without God, they will.