well thank you for your contribution and whilst what you say is good and true it does not answer what the research/survey also revealed and is really disturbing “those with the most and best Christian (name removed by moderator)ut fell away in the greatest number”.Imho and as a result of the survey/research this seems to indicate that more of the same is the problem and not quite the answer - twinc
Those with the “most and best Christian (name removed by moderator)ut” would also be those who had, generally speaking, the greatest natural gifts. As such, they would have more lucrative temptations beckoning them away from the church and into the world. If a young man is thinking of the pastorate, and somebody comes along and says, “If you work for us in law, or business, we’ll pay you ten times what you’d earn as a pastor”, a lot of them would work for the more lucrtive position.
My old Protestant pastor, a very gifted man, brought up a family of wife and six sons on a wage below the poverty line. He “nearly starved” in his own words. Not one of his remaining sons, all of whom have remained committed Christians (one committed suicide - he had manic depression), and all quite gifted in some form or another, went into direct Christian ministry. They had no desire to follow in such harrowing circumstances.
Other than that, Christ’s parable still stands, along with my other comments.
I can’ t point to my own family as an example as my father, although brought up in the Catholic faith, lost his own faith. But in his case, he grew up in a major depression, and then fought in the Second World War, with the example of the Holocaust and the nuclear bomb to make him wonder where God was. I’m not sure of my mother’s reason, but I suspect the loss of her brother in the 1919 Spanish Flu epidemic, her sister a few years later from meningitis, and the loss of her then boyfriend on the HMAS Sydney, bred resentment at God.
So neither my sister or I had Christian or Church upbringing to start with.
However my wife’s parents were strong Christians. Of their four children, two practise their Christian. The other two, whilst having very strong morals and being good men, are not practising Christians in the worship sense. My wife and I don’t have children, being a bit late for that in marriage. But of the eleven children only three were really brought up in the church, and of them, only one is a practising Christian.
Generally speaking they’re high achievers. And I can’t believe how much support their families have given them, when I look back at my own father’s deliberate attempt to wreck everything.
Yet from grandparents who were both committed Christians, only one out of eleven grandchildren have remained Christian. And frankly, part of the reason is that we’ve got it too easy.
I don’t see a revival coming unless there is a major, prolonged crisis. I can easily see where such a crisis or crises might come from, and I sometimes wonder why God is taking so long. We think we’re OK, but it’s only a couple of years since the financial system took a hammering due to greed.
There is also Israel / Palestine, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan / Afghanistan, growing inbalances in trade, the massive US deficit and western deficits in general, Islam and oil, climate change (I’m curious as to why nobody seems to have mentioned the Gulf Stream slowing down in respect to the freezing conditions in the northern hemisphere.), energy and resources wars, an arms race in the SE Asian area, population pressures, and so on. There are several potential flashpoints and plenty of fuel for a conflagration.
Yet somehow we seem, so far, to be still on the tightrope. But I wonder if God plans to push us off in the not too distant future.