A
Aramis
Guest
I’ve seen photos of it. Some, it’s just a bow of silken or cotton ribbon, as seen in many westerns, not the full-bodied bow tie; in others, it’s a narrow but standard bow-tie. In the photos I’ve seen, it was worn so that it was through the opening of the collar of the cassock, but any hanging tails were under the surplice or inside the cassock; it’s hard to tell.I would add two things. First, the Pope has better things to do than worry about vestments for servers and that most of his private Masses are served by adult males. Second, in that setting lay males (adult or child) would wear the Roman collar. That tidies up the glaring shortcoming here in the States of an “unfinished” neck.
I have heard many older folks mention that boys used to wear bow ties with their cassocks? Not those Anglican frilly things but actual bow ties. Has anyone ever seen this? Do they tie the bow tie on the outside of the cassock’s neck or does just the bow protrude through the opening or what?
As for servers wearing the Roman Collar… the photos I’ve seen show them wearing white dress shirts sans tie in the ready room… no tab required.