A
anon68864946
Guest
Perfect contrition is like any virtue (humility, love, purity…) - it will never come easily or quickly, and we cannot obtain it by ourselves, we can only obtain it through God. It takes time, great effort and lots of prayer, but don’t let that stop you! Nothing worth having is easy.I honestly don’t think I’m capable of perfect contrition
We are all called to be Saints, and we are all capable of becoming Saints! We must simply have the burning desire to do only what is good and what is pleasing to God. We must be “sinners who keep trying”. When we fall, (which we will, because of our Original Sin), we must simply see our failings as proof that we desperately need God, and then get back up, repent, and do good again.
So never, ever give up in your struggle for purity, perfection, and perfect contrition! Just because these things are hard to get, doesn’t mean that they are impossible! Anything is possible with God, we have to just ask and keep on asking, try and keep on trying, pray and keep on praying, despite all of the setbacks. If you do this, God will see that you are sincere in your desire to be good, and He will reward you.
Pray daily for perfect contrition (and all the other graces you desire) with a sincere heart, and God will give you what you want and need. Here is a prayer for perfect contrition:
My God, give me true sorrow for having offended You. I must come to You for it. I cannot get it by myself. But I know You want to give it to me more than I want to have it. I know there is nothing You are so pleased to give. You tell me to ask and I shall receive, to seek and I shall find, to knock and it shall be opened to me. I am asking, seeking, knocking now. Give me what I want— perfect contrition for all my sins, sorrow for them because they have offended You who are so good. Give me what I ask, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
You are not a horrible person, you are a beloved, valuable, irreplaceable child of God. The fact that you feel bad for what you’ve done, is a sign that God is working in you to do great things. Keep going and never ever give up in your struggle for goodness. You are in my prayers, God bless you.