Am I culpable for this sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miiiils
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Miiiils

Guest
Lets say I am in a wedding party of a bride and groom sleep who live together before marriage.

If someone in the audience begins to sleep together and follow the example set by the bride and groom, am I culpable or am I showing support for such action?

Lets say I have shared with the groom that I don’t support those things.

Thanks and God bless!
 
I think I understand your question.

You are in the wedding party and the bride & groom lived together/slept together prior to marriage?

If someone attending the wedding and is aware that the bride and groom lived together/slept together prior to marrying, and so decides to do the same - that is on the bride and groom.

You have made clear to the groom that you do not approve of their having lived together/slept together prior to marrying - so no approval there.

If someone mentions to you about this and says we’re now thinking of doing the same, you could comment that you don’t think it is right and people should wait until they’re married before sleeping/living together. This way you have made your view clear and would not be remaining silent and so unwittingly giving the impression of approval.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Nice to have a second opinion, especially one I agree with haha
God bless!
 
You have made clear to the groom that you do not approve of their having lived together/slept together prior to marrying
And the groom must care for you quite a bit, most people would not have someone in the wedding party who has been critical of their relationship with their fiancee.
If someone in the audience
Weddings have guests, performances have audiences. When you speak to your groom friend, remember that his guests are likely going to be best influenced by love, compassion and joy.

The best idea is to not agree to be part of a wedding party if it causes you such
 
Thanks for the reply!

The issue in my situation, is that I agreed to be in the wedding over a year ago, when I was not a practicing catholic, and now I am, and the wedding is three weeks away…
 
So, either you tell your friend you cannot be in his wedding because you don’t approve of his sex life (not what I would advise), or go and be so joyfilled that your friend asks “wow, what is up with you??”
 
I plan to go. He’s also my only friend, so I really don’t want to lose this relationship. Also, I don’t want to leave him thinking nasty of the Catholic faith. I want to be able to help him in his journey. (Soon to be fiance, don’t tell her!) haha
 
Is your friend Catholic? Whether he is or isn’t can also determine whether you should be in the wedding party itself or not.
 
When I asked him, his response was , “We are both baptized non-denominational christians”

They are being married by a Methodist priest, at a Baptist church.
 
Thank you, I understand the whole, “validity” part. I’m just a tad worried about causing scandal by appearing to support those other things I mentioned, but I don’t think this should be a worry of mine.
 
Thanks for the info.

Does your friend know you are now a practicing Catholic?
 
Yes. We have also talked about how I don’t approve or agree with many thing him and his Fiancee do, but in as a respectable way as possible.
 
Ok, but from your first post you just say you are in the wedding party. Will you be a witness? Sign any documents?
 
Not that I am aware of, no. I’m pretty sure that is just the best man and maid of honor. I also shared with him that I cannot receive communion if that’s something they do. I’m also pretty sure I can’t actively participate in “liturgical functions” like readings and such.
 
Huh? Are you sleeping with someone? No? Sin attaches to those who choose to commit it. You voiced Church teaching. It’s on them.
 
Thank you.

My concern is with the signing of any papers. But how would you know if there are any other Catholics attending? You wouldn’t. And would they know you are Catholic? I’m thinking in regards to giving scandal. (If another Catholic did know, then they may think it is ok to also be a witness at a non-Catholic Christian wedding. And I honestly don’t know if it is or isn’t).

As a Catholic I myself would not be signing any documents as a witness - I wouldn’t feel right about it, if I was in this situation. And I would hope that my friend would respect my reasons in this and organize a different witness (if one is required).

But as someone who is just a guest at the wedding and not in the wedding party - I don’t see any problem. And it isn’t like one of the party is Catholic and marrying outside the Church. So on one hand I don’t think there is any issue here wrt them living together prior to their marriage (and surely most if not all family & friends who are invited would already know this?).

But not being a priest I am hesitant to say a definite yes or no. Have you spoken to your own parish priest about this? We have two priests here on this board who may be able to help you with this.

One of the priests here has this to say -
40.png
Attending Non-Catholic Events Liturgy and Sacraments
The Ecumenical movement has come some way since 1928… although that doesn’t mean that Pius XI was completely wrong. Still, at the Second Vatican Council, the Church committed herself irrevocably to following the path of ecumenism. That said, we don’t take part in non-Catholic services as if they were the same as our own - put simply, we’re there more as spectators than active participants. Having said that, there’s plenty of examples to be seen (from the Pope down) of Catholics attending non-Cat…
Note that it doesn’t say being in the wedding party, just simply attending the wedding and reception.
 
Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies, I really do appreciate them.

I do not plan to sign any documents, or participate in the service at all, other than standing or sitting.

Thanks again, and God bless you.
 
Just attending is no problem. My understanding of being in the wedding party is usually as a best man etc or one of the bridesmaids etc. not just someone who is attending the wedding.

You’re welcome, and I think the linked post by Father InThePew explained it well.

Enjoy their happy day.

God bless.
 
My concern is with the signing of any papers. But how would you know if there are any other Catholics attending? You wouldn’t. And would they know you are Catholic? I’m thinking in regards to giving scandal. (If another Catholic did know, then they may think it is ok to also be a witness at a non-Catholic Christian wedding. And I honestly don’t know if it is or isn’t).
I thought the signing of the papers was a civil thing.

To the OP if the marriage is presumed valid (it seems like it is) then I would be glad that they will no longer be sinning and have no problem being in the wedding party.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top