amplified bible ok for Catholics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RevertAlan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RevertAlan

Guest
A wise elderly Protestant woman suggested I buy the Joyce Meyer Everyday Bible, which is an amplified version. She sincerely thinks this will help me understand scripture and apply it, that is to make it more than intellectual knowledge, though to have it affect how I live. Is there any harm in reading this translation? If there is, please provide a recommendation.
 
A cursory examination of a few key chapters (Luke 1, Matthew 16) of the Amplified Bible reveal that it is not all that bad. Certainly better than the agenda-driven New International Version (NIV). However, it is incomplete, lacking the seven books of the Deuterocanon - those books that Luther declared to be non-inspired. As a revert, you need the entire bible.

What you want is a Catholic bible that is complete, with all 73 books of the canon. The RSV-2CE (Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition, aka Ignatius bible) is a very good bible. It is my “daily” bible. Many also like the Douay-Rheims (D-R), although it is written in older English essentially identical to the King James Version. The “official” Catholic “New American Bible” (NAB) is in the process of being re-edited, since its notes were not all that Catholic and its translation was squishy.

I would suggest that you get the Ignatius RSV-2CE. It will serve you well.
 
A wise elderly Protestant woman suggested I buy the Joyce Meyer Everyday Bible, which is an amplified version. She sincerely thinks this will help me understand scripture and apply it, that is to make it more than intellectual knowledge, though to have it affect how I live. Is there any harm in reading this translation? If there is, please provide a recommendation.
I too suggest reading a Catholic Bible. No imprimatur or nihil obstat no go. I am not sure what your reading level is but I suggest the Douay-Rheims or the RSV-CE
 
I have “The Catholic Bible” Personal Study Edition, which is a NAB translation. I also have the RSV-CE translation. I have found I prefer the RSV-CE, though do like the reading guide in the study bible.

I really don’t need another bible. I am reading the bible on a regular basis, which I began when I attended a Vineyard Church. I also compliment this be reading the scriptural cross references to the Catechism. I am thankful to have recognized the fullness of the Church founded by Jesus, and to have been called to return. I pray that others recognize for themselves the fullness of truth.

Maybe if I learned more about lectio divino (sp?), this would accomplish the purpose of looking at a bible with the added commentary of how to apply scripture to ones life and how to live and be guided by scripture in making decisions in conducting ones life. I am glad I asked for some feedback on the amplified bible, though must admit that a bible that has commentary on how it can best be applied to life is appealing. I will resist the suggestion to buy the Joyce Meyer Everyday Bible, and continue reading a catholic bible. I will endeavor to learn more about lectio divino and put this to the practical test.
 
A wise elderly Protestant woman suggested I buy the Joyce Meyer Everyday Bible, which is an amplified version. She sincerely thinks this will help me understand scripture and apply it, that is to make it more than intellectual knowledge, though to have it affect how I live. Is there any harm in reading this translation? If there is, please provide a recommendation.
It is not a big problem if you already know that some of the interpretations in the amplified version will not be analogous to Church teaching or Tradition (how some verses been interpeted for generations).

The St. Ignatius study Bible by Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch is a good study Bible to read. Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture is also a good resource, which has commentary from multiple scholars (including Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch).
 
Yes, we do have enough Catholic biblical resources that it would not be necessary to have to filter through Protestant interpretations. I would highly recommend steering clear of that version and either going with the ones mentioned above or finding a Catholic bookstore and inquiring there. The ones mentioned in this thread are excellent as I have them all for my resource… teachccd 🙂
 
I agree with everything said here, but I will say that during my Protestant years I collected several other Protestant translations and paraphrases. I do occasionally return them when I feel I need to be “woken up” from the familiarity of my usual Bible translation. However, use with caution and definitely use a Catholic translation any time you’re doing “study”.
 
A wise elderly Protestant woman suggested I buy the Joyce Meyer Everyday Bible, which is an amplified version. She sincerely thinks this will help me understand scripture and apply it, that is to make it more than intellectual knowledge, though to have it affect how I live. Is there any harm in reading this translation? If there is, please provide a recommendation.
Try the Douey-Rheims Bible with the Haydock Commentary.
 
I suggest you not only read but study what Joyce Meyer has to say in her Amplified bible and get a King James Version and study it, you only need the 66 books of the KJV, nothing else is nessercary, Open your ears as you read these to the Holy Spirit and he will guide you.
 
A wise elderly Protestant woman suggested I buy the Joyce Meyer Everyday Bible, which is an amplified version. She sincerely thinks this will help me understand scripture and apply it, that is to make it more than intellectual knowledge, though to have it affect how I live. Is there any harm in reading this translation? If there is, please provide a recommendation.
You should thank God for this precious protestant women
 
I suggest you not only read but study what Joyce Meyer has to say in her Amplified bible and get a King James Version and study it, you only need the 66 books of the KJV, nothing else is nessercary, Open your ears as you read these to the Holy Spirit and he will guide you.
There are 73 books in the inspired Word of God. Just because certain individuals decided to break away from the true Church founded by Christ does not mean that their decisions are valid. The Catholic Church who recognized the inspired canon of Scripture and maintained them for 2000 years has the official say on how they are to be interpreted. Just because one man, Martin Luther, had to revert back to the Palestinian canon to push out 2 Maccabees in order to promote his anti-purgatory agenda does not trump 2000 years of Christian Scriptures.

Yes, open your ears and really hear what the Holy Spirit has to say. This is the same Holy Spirit that has guided the Church founded by Christ 2000 years ago. Do not follow those who claim to have “founded” other Churches. There is only one holy, Catholic, and apostolic Church.

So, for the OP please stick to Catholic resources and remain with those of us who stayed with the original Christian Church… God bless…teachccd 🙂
 
You should thank God for this precious protestant women
Absolutely! She got you to come here and seek the truth! And now our baptismal mission is to spread that truth to all who have left the true Church of Jesus Christ…teachccd 🙂
 
Absolutely! She got you to come here and seek the truth! And now our baptismal mission is to spread that truth to all who have left the true Church of Jesus Christ…teachccd 🙂
If the Catholic Church is the true church , then why is it at the center of controversy, go to Chick Publications. com and read their tracts titled Are Romans Catholics Christians, The Last Rites and the death Cookie then come back and give me your thoughts
 
If the Catholic Church is the true church , then why is it at the center of controversy, go to Chick Publications. com and read their tracts titled Are Romans Catholics Christians, The Last Rites and the death Cookie then come back and give me your thoughts
ARE YOU SERIOUS??? You use Jack Chick as your Catholic resource? I will pray for you as your ignorance is actually profound…:eek:
 
You should thank God for this precious protestant women
It is wonderful and mysterious how God brings people into your life at the right time. I am grateful to have met this precious protestant. I appreciate her kindness and willingness to counsel, provide wisdom, and be guided by the Holy Spirit. She continues to help me grow in my faith and love of God.

I also pray that she continues to disregard past negative and inaccurate comments about the church founded by Jesus, and grow in scriptural understanding that His church is guarded in truth by the Holy Spirit. I also pray that all Christians grow in recognition and appreciation that it is the Holy Spirit that unites us. It is unfortunate that satan wants and fosters division within Christianity and mankind, though not unexpected since satan has nothing to lose in the attempt to separate us from God.

I receive all the comments in the spirit of charity and encouragement.
 
If the Catholic Church is the true church , then why is it at the center of controversy, go to Chick Publications. com and read their tracts titled Are Romans Catholics Christians, The Last Rites and the death Cookie then come back and give me your thoughts
Using Jack Chick as a source on Catholicism is as ‘brilliant’ an idea as having Adolf Hitler teaching you about Judaism. :rolleyes:
 
I suggest you not only read but study what Joyce Meyer has to say in her Amplified bible and get a King James Version and study it, you only need the 66 books of the KJV, nothing else is nessercary, Open your ears as you read these to the Holy Spirit and he will guide you.
I know preacherman’s already banned, so he (probably) won’t be around to read this, but for the record, did you know that the authentic, original 1611 King James Version had 81 books - all the books that are contained in the Latin Vulgate (73 canonical works + 3 apocrypha: Prayer of Manasses and 1/2 Esdras)? How dare you suggest that the LATE 66-book KJV, mutilated by the hands of men, is the inspired Word of God! :rolleyes: 😛
 
Using Jack Chick as a source on Catholicism is as ‘brilliant’ an idea as having Adolf Hitler teaching you about Judaism. :rolleyes:
When they say that “JC” saves, do they mean Jack Chick? Not even chemotherapy poisons as much as his vile clutter.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top