Angelic Names

• Thread starter Thread starter DrifterBoy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DrifterBoy

A younger freind of mine posed a question to me which I have acctually thought about sometimes. (just so that everyone knows, I am new to the faith and am uncertain on many things) He asked me if I had ever heard that each of us has a gaurdian angel, and if I knew I could learn his or her name. I said no I didn’t know that, and asked if that type of thing (asking what my gaurdian angel’s name is) is permissable by the Church. He said that he had heard it was, and he mentioned specifically that Saint Pio had asked what his was and found out. I am wondering if asking your gaurdian angel to show you his/her name is permissable by the Church. Anyone know? :rolleyes:

It is permissible to ask your guardian angel to reveal their name. However, what is not permissible is to “name” your guardian angel which unfortunately some people try to do. Giving a name to something signifies authority over it, which is why we see in the Book of Genesis that Adam named the animals of the earth.

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this but I am wondering if we each have our own guardian angel? I mean do we each have one special angel to look out for us or do we have many angels looking out for us?

Each of us has one angel as a guardian. One who walks with us from birth until death. We also have the protection / assistance of angels due to our vocations, locations, and station in life. Like patron saints, these angels come into and out of our lives as the need changes, but the Guardian Angel stays with us. We do not need more than one guardian, no matter how rough it seems. Rember that angels are all thought and will and never lose sight of the Beatific Vision. They are more powerful than any obstical that we may face.

As far as naming them goes, they must tell us, we can not tell them. Like it was stated earlier, naming grants dominion over the thing.

How, then, can one ask for one’s guardian angel’s name and how can he be sure about it?

The way we find out everything God speaks to us: prayer and quiet meditation. I have several friends and relatives who know their angel’s name. Some of them prayed for many long nights, and some did not. In the end, it seems to make them more comfortable asking the angel for help. I have not really tried to ask for my angel’s name and I may or may not. For right now, I am happy knowing that I have one and he (forgive the gender, angels have no sex) is with me at all times.

I talk to my guardian angel all the time (and my husband’s!) and have really felt his presence many times. I’ve asked my guardian angel to help me understand certain things and then within a couple of days I’ve always gotten wonderful, amazing answers. So, after reading this thread for the last couple of days I finally asked my angel to reveal his name to me (though I said please don’t appear to me or actually speak out loud 'cause that would really freak me out, lol). And the first name that came to mind was George - well, that’s just not glorious enough sounding in my opinion to really be the name of an angel; but yesterday I told my husband about this thread and that I had asked my angel to reveal his name to me, and my husband said, “What is it - George?” :bigyikes: LOL, so I’m just going to pretend that didn’t happen and keep on calling him just “angel” :angel1: 👍 I’m sure it’s just an overactive imagination!

Nicole

Why not George? St. George slayed the dragon- sounds like esteemed company! 👍

Lol! A while after I made that post I thought to myself, “Wow, I’ve probably offended a bunch of Georges on the forum!” :o So, my apologies to all, and to St. George, about whom I really don’t know a lot. George is a nice warm, friendly name, so on second thought I think it would be… *ok * if that were my angel’s name (ha! Like he needs my approval or acceptance!). But he’s going to have to “tell” me one more time before I’m convinced. 😉
Nicole

This is going to sound crazy…but…

After reading this forum, I decided to earnestly pray for the name of my guardian angel last night. It was revealed to me in a dream. My angel’s name is Suiam or pronounced Suym. I know the pronounced version because it was revealed that ia =ym. I know that this sounds crazy, but I asked for it, believed that if it was God’s will that I should receive it I would, and received it, woke up and wrote it down.

Peace,

Jeff

I recommend not seeking your guardian angel’s name.

First of all, aside from the three angels mentioned by name in Scripture, we don’t even know if angels have names–at least in our sense of names.

Second, you can’t be sure if the “answer” you receive, when asking for the angel’s name, comes from the angel or from a less savory source. This is especially true if the “answer” comes to you in a dream.

Third, you aren’t Padre Pio.

Karl,

Thank you for your reply. I had not thought about the consequences of praying for that specific request. I had no idea that any “unsavory” source would be interested in that prayer other than the spirit to whom it was directed, and perhaps our Lord. Perhaps I underestimated the battle of the church militant. It does leave me wondering the nature of the dream. About ten years ago I had a dream that I was visited by the Blessed Virgin, I hope that wasn’t unsavory experience too.
Code:
What's more weird is that about a week before this most recent dream happened I had a dream that I saw an angel.  I dismissed the dream as that--just a dream.  I guess that without knowing me, you dismiss me because of what I wrote.  I really wondered if I should write that, but I thought that I might find some guidance--some guidance you shut me down stating that I'm not Padre Pio--thank you, I realize that I am not Padre Pio.  You don't know me, but thank you for assuming I am non compos mentis.

I guess that's my first critique about this site, you don't know to whom you're speaking or getting advice.  Is there some place that you can research or find out about dreams?  I do admit that dreams can be misleading, but then again if I read the bible there are plenty of instances wherein God used dreams to reveal himself or a message.
Jeff

Sorry about that Karl. I did not mean to upset anyone. Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa. Please don’t hurt my reputation.

By the way, I am glad that I am not Padre Pio. I really don’t want that kind of stress.

Years ago I impressed with the name of my guardian angel while talking to God about it. I didn’t really seek it out, it sort of can to me while in prayer.

During that time, I was impressed with two thoughts about it, and don’t really know if they are true or not in light of the teaching of the Church about angels.

:angel1: First, that I should not pray directly to the angel by name, but to simply pray to God. God would send his angels as needed.

:angel1: Second, not to share the name with others. I think because names give a certain degree of power over others.

:whacky: Do these seem authentic and in line with what the church teaches? Any recommendations on learning more about what the church teaches regarding angels?

I’m not sure if anyone is still on this forum, but just in case…

I have a question. My name is Michael, and I have always taken a great interest in my name sake the Archangel Michael. I am also a sailor to the best of my knowledge Michael is the patron saint of Sailors and law enforcment officers, I have always assumed my Gaurdian Angel is Michael. I just want to make sure I am not nameing my Gaurdian Angel, and he has in fact revealed himself to me. Thank you.

—V/R Michael

My guardian angel’s name is Kateri. I’m not sure if I named my guardian angel or if my g.angel revealed that to me. So, I’m going to have to ask my g.angel to reveal her name to me (Of course angels are pure spirits and thus are not associated with a gender, but It’s just the way I’ve imagined me angel, that is in female form). Love,

-Alison

I’m not sure if anyone is still on this forum, but just in case…

I have a question. My name is Michael, and I have always taken a great interest in my name sake the Archangel Michael. I am also a sailor to the best of my knowledge Michael is the patron saint of Sailors and law enforcment officers, I have always assumed my Gaurdian Angel is Michael. I just want to make sure I am not nameing my Gaurdian Angel, and he has in fact revealed himself to me. Thank you.

—V/R Michael
Hi Michael,
I took the name Raphael for my confirmation, and because of the way i discerned this name, I assumed my guardian angel was St. Raphael. Now though, I don’t think I’m quite important enough to be the sole charge of an archangel, but I think we can both claim these awesome warriors as special patrons.

“Holy Angel of Christ” or “Holy Guardian” seems to work for me when adressing my holy Guardian and Protector. 👍 I don’t think I could be sure enough unless I literally saw/heard it, and was sure it was sent by God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back