Angels and Gen 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter DarkMark
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarkMark

Guest
Many believe that in Gen 6 angels mated with the daughters of men and created offspring’s (giants). When the giants died they became evil spirits. They could not go to hades because they were hybrid species. God allow them to roam the earth inhabiting bodies. What does the Catholic Church say about this? I know some early Church Fathers and teachers taught this (Justin Martyr, Lactantius, Commodianus, etc)
 
Many believe that in Gen 6 angels mated with the daughters of men and created offspring’s (giants). When the giants died they became evil spirits. They could not go to hades because they were hybrid species. God allow them to roam the earth inhabiting bodies. What does the Catholic Church say about this? I know some early Church Fathers and teachers taught this (Justin Martyr, Lactantius, Commodianus, etc)
From the Catechism

**414 **Satan or the devil and the other demons are fallen angels who have freely refused to serve God and his plan. Their choice against God is definitive. They try to associate man in their revolt against God.
 
My husband is fascinated with this subject of the angels and the giants born unto them. What is catholic teaching on this section of Genesis? When I read it it says the ‘sons’ of God saw the Daughter’s of men that they were fair and they took them wives of all which they chose. Does this mean that God had other sons? How is this explained? How does the church interpret the meaning of the angels and the giants?
 
My husband is fascinated with this subject of the angels and the giants born unto them. What is catholic teaching on this section of Genesis? When I read it it says the ‘sons’ of God saw the Daughter’s of men that they were fair and they took them wives of all which they chose. Does this mean that God had other sons? How is this explained? How does the church interpret the meaning of the angels and the giants?
I have seen the interpretation that the Sons of God were the descendants of Seth who followed God. The Daughters of Men were descendents of Cain who had rejected God.

It seems reasonable, but I have no idea of what if any approval it has.

I have had a thought based on evolution that I have never seen discussed. If Adam’s body evolved and God infused a soul, he would have had unsouled siblings and cousins. The Sons of God could have been those with souls and the Daughters of Men from those without. Again, that is pure speculation with no foundation or authority.
 
The interpretation that I have seen is that the son’s of God were angels that were fallen from heaven and mated with the daughters of men and they produced giants and mutants that were inherently evil and that is why God destroyed the earth in the flood. Only Noah and his family were pure and had not been affected from the fallen angels and evil beings.
Sounds very far fetched to me and I know there has to be a more logical explanation…
 
If you do a Bible search on the two phrases “sons of God” and “sons of men”, you will find that “sons of God” refers to those who are faithful and “sons of men” often refers to the wicked. At the time of Genesis 6, the faithful would have been Seth’s descendents and the wicked Cain’s descendents - as noted by Joe Kelley.

Nita
 
I agree with Nita. This passsage describes men of Seth’s line taking wives from among Cain’s line.
 
Thank you so much for this explanation, that makes a lot more sense to me. But what about Gen 6:4? There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughers of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. So who/what were the giants?
 
Many believe that in Gen 6 angels mated with the daughters of men and created offspring’s (giants). When the giants died they became evil spirits. They could not go to hades because they were hybrid species. God allow them to roam the earth inhabiting bodies. What does the Catholic Church say about this? I know some early Church Fathers and teachers taught this (Justin Martyr, Lactantius, Commodianus, etc)
The Early Church Fathers teaches that giants came into being because Satan’s fallen angels had relations with human women? Could you please post that teaching by those ECF’s here? You have me intrigued.
 
Thank you so much for this explanation, that makes a lot more sense to me. But what about Gen 6:4? There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughers of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. So who/what were the giants?
The only giants I know of, are the Philistines. I read somewhere that they were anywhere from 7 feet to 9 feet tall. The most famous Philistine that was mentioned, was Goliath. I’ll certainly enjoy doing research on this topic and get back to everybody here.
 
I agree with Seremina. Goliath was most certainly a giant. In fact we still have giants today. It is a condition much like dwarfism. Not to mention most basketball players are extremely tall compared to your average person.
 
I too will be fascinated by what you find out on this. My husband had seen a show on Discovery channel one night about it and he started checking internet sites about it. He has been fascinated with the subject ever since. I know he found some websites that showed archeological evidence of giants in the region. Not that it really has anything to do with the catholic religion, but I am curious as to what it means, were there others that were different from us? Could this be the link that evolutionists seek, between neanderthals and modern man? And if so, how were they here, was it through fallen angels of satan?
 
I did not even know until over a week ago that Catholics have more in their Bibles, I do not know enough about it from their point of view.
I also find this fascinating. While true sometimes the bible refers to men as the sons of God you have to look at the original text. The word used for sons of God in the book of Genesis is “b’nai Elohim”, angelic ones. Not human. Their offspring are seen as the Naphalim. The pseudepigraphal books of Enoch contains some very interesting information about them.

What is interesting to is that many ancient cultures make mention of them. And many believed themselves to be descended from the “b’nai Elohim”. The first greatest civilization came from Ancient Sumeria. It began with the Anunnaki. Their legends tell us about Enki-Ea, Lord of the Abzu,…Lord of the Abyss. It is said that he created human hybrids.
The Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh tells of an ancient King of Uruk (Historical King) he was thought to be, and considered himself to be, two-thirds god, he came from the Anunnaki and Enki, the Lord of the Abyss. he goes to the biblical Noah to see if he can help him. He knows he is doomed as he is neither fully human or fully angelic.

There are quite a few ancient Egyptians who believed themselves to also be hybrids. Remember the movie the Scorpian King? That idea came from the fact that the first King of Egypt was referred to as a god/human hybrid, he truly thought of himself as such. He was also called the Scorpian King!

Some died in the Great flood, the History texts of other cultures have the very same story. Ones who died had no place for their spirits to go, being not fully angelic, not fully human. So they are trapped here in spirit, searching for a body. Some were spared because they were among the stars in the other dimensions, and survived. Then the Naphalim started the process all over again.

Here is a freaky fact. If you look at some of the ancient carvings, and relics from the past, you will see most depicted in a very strange manner with elongated heads. They look just like what the UFO Freaks describe as the “Alien Greys”. Wouldn’t that be wild if they were real, but not aliens however, but nephalim/demonic spirits?

At least that is the theory! :cool:
 
Its a little difficult to find anything trustworthy about the origin of giants. About the only thing I’ve come across that has some merit to it since it uses Bible passages extensively through it, is this…

theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/giants2.htm

But I do caution you. Some of the info from the url is questionable, and some of it is downright ludicrous; for example, the idea that Satan may have sinned more than by deceiving Eve into taking the forbidden fruit…that he actually caused her to commit adultery with him.

I will continue my search, so feel free to post comments and let me know if the author “interpreted” the passages correctly, etc.
 
Angels are pure spirit, not body and spirit. Therefore, no ‘fallen angels’ could have had relations with human women.

As for giants, considering that a lot of men and women in earlier times were much shorter than the norm (I’ve seen suits of armor dating around AD 1400 and the knight who wore it was only about 5 feet tall!), yet there were still various ‘races’ where the people were taller, it is not inconceivable that these early men who themselves would have been on the shorter side had contact with some of the much taller races (aren’t there some tribes in Africa where the normal height is close to 7 feet?) and looked upon them as giants.
 
They were called Watchers, angelic yes, but in a differant rank. There are many who believe they could mate with mankind. The old state that when they did, they rejected their original state and they could no longer ascend into God’s heaven. They became trapped here.
 
**IN some of the legends and in the book of Enoch it speaks of some that were very vile, the worst of the worst in their depravity. They were punished. There are Bible scholars who believe that the following verse is a referance to those angels. They are not the same as the demonic we think of now. Because they are free to come and go.

JUDE 1:6
And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.**
 
Angels are pure spirit, not body and spirit. Therefore, no ‘fallen angels’ could have had relations with human women.

As for giants, considering that a lot of men and women in earlier times were much shorter than the norm (I’ve seen suits of armor dating around AD 1400 and the knight who wore it was only about 5 feet tall!), yet there were still various ‘races’ where the people were taller, it is not inconceivable that these early men who themselves would have been on the shorter side had contact with some of the much taller races (aren’t there some tribes in Africa where the normal height is close to 7 feet?) and looked upon them as giants.
Thank you Tantum Ergo. Your answer makes the most sense and I don’t feel I have to keep researching anymore. You’ve helped us all find an answer. 👍

Auriel, I don’t understand that passage at all. It seems to be written in Elizabethan English.
 
HEHEHE, sorry, I honestly did not know until my first visit here that not all christians had the same Bible! I have never seen a Catholic bible, does it read differantly? That was from the King James Version.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top