Anglican rosaries

• Thread starter Thread starter Polak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly any church with the words “Anglo-Catholic” in its name must cease to exist, immediately.

I’d suggest some form of discernment, then. Like, perhaps, taking a clue from the Book of Common Prayer (of whatever edition) in all the pews. Or listening to the liturgy and getting the feeling that one has somehow erred, and exiting, post haste. Or common sense. Or something.
That would be a tip-off for me, as someone who is a native English speaker and a former Anglican, but the example which Tis mentioned was that of exchange students whose first language isn’t English. Good luck reading that and fully understanding what it means if
A) your primary language isn’t English, and
B) you have no previous exposure to the Anglican communion to realize what a “book of common prayer” is.

None of this would be problematic if such places didn’t define themselves as “Catholic”. Were I to spend a year studying abroad and be looking for a church to attend while there, I wouldn’t intentionally be looking for a Baptist, Orthodox, Presbyterian or Anglican church. I’d be looking for a Catholic church, and to have a place advertise itself as such yet not be what I’m looking for wouldn’t be a little frustrating.

To clarify, the issue isn’t that there are BCPs in the pews or that they may or may not have female (or, when I was Episcopalian, SSA) clergy. You do you, it’s your worship and your expression of it, and that’s fine. The issue is when people come in who otherwise wouldn’t because they see “Catholic” somewhere.

This is inevitably going to be problematic (even if just for a few) when you break off from a church and take things from it with you, vocabulary being one of them.

Should Catholics know enough about their faith to know when they’ve stumbled into the wrong church? Yes, and no one is arguing that. I would wish for all Catholics to be so well catechized. But claiming to be Catholic when you are not (there is only One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, as our common Creed says) unnecessarily muddies the waters.

Lex orandi , lex credendi. The few(?) will have to handle it as best they may. I was musing on a chanted opening before the procession, as with the great litany, to exorcise the unwary and clueless, but I couldn’t stop chuckling.

Me, I’m just going shift from the mind-boggled mode to the appreciation of a risible and unreasonable position, on the part of some RCs. It is what it is.

The bots say I’m posting on it too much. Perhaps that problem will solve itself.

Anglo-Catholics generally say that they are Catholic in the Anglican tradition. I fear you will not be able to prevent that. But I’ve never seen a sign on any Anglican church that proclaimed it anything save Anglican.

Anglo-Catholics generally say that they are Catholic in the Anglican tradition. I fear you will not be able to prevent that. But I’ve never seen a sign on any Anglican church that proclaimed it anything save Anglican.
I don’t want to prevent that. I’m grateful that they make the distinction. Unfortunately, it might not be apparent to strangers in a strange land, particularly if the “in the Anglican tradition” isn’t stressed.

I don’t mind that a bit. Nor do I mind that Anglo-Catholics are confessional and credal. Thank God that they are!
Edit: I believe the Ordinariates say pretty much the same thing, in re Catholics in the Anglican tradition.

Last edited:
Perhaps the RCC might take some corporate steps to help these folks out. Otherwise, it is what it is.

Ah, there you would stir another tempest in a pew.

Anglo-Catholics often say creedal, not confessional, to make their position on the Articles clear. Confessional in the general sense of confessing Christ, not a problem.

I’ve visited Anglo-Catholic parishes in Australia, the UK and Canada and I’ve never seem their church signs advertising themselves as “Catholic” or even “Anglo-Catholic”. Their church signs have always been “Anglican (or Church of England) Parish of ___”

It would be akin to an evangelical Anglican parish advertising itself as “Anglo-4/5-Tulip-Prelapsarian-Infant-Baptism-evangelical parish”.

I shall let my missus know that her Church (ROC) must also must cease calling itself Catholic. Can’t see it going down well mind you, Russians are dangerous when roused and although Mrs. Carnelian is generally pretty mild she has a few things you can annoy her with and this kind of stuff would fall right into those categories.

Here’s her answer ‘in both cases that is the problem for Catholics to address, not other Churches’
[/quote]
I would think that we both have problems to address. A lot of people emigrated from their home countries to the US because of war at home and the prospect of employment here. There is a push and a pull factor- the “push” in our case is that a Catholic wants to go to a Catholic Mass. The “pull” factor, pulling people into non-Catholic churches, is the use of the word “Catholic” by such churches. The Catholic Church cannot understand itself to be wrong in using “Catholic” to describe itself; we were the first to refer to ourselves as such. We wrote the Nicene Creed, anyways.

Now, if someone is mistaken in entering a non-Catholic Church, okay, we’ll correct them. But there should be an expectation that all of us (not just Catholics) would take care to only refer to themselves as they actually are. As Catholics, one might see another institution use the term as their own and either be mistaken in believing that they are Catholic, or know better and be annoyed or merely disappointed. Like many protestants (particularly evangelicals) who have tried to take the term “Christian” away from us and insist that we are not, it’s also upsetting- even if they don’t try to “take it away from us”- when someone tries to use our name for themselves.

People shouldn’t be getting confused in the first place. A Mass-going Catholic would immediately realize that they’re in the wrong place if they enter a baptist or evangelical church, but the Anglo-Catholics so imitate us that it can take more than a second or two (or, in the case Tis brought up, months) to realize that you’re a stranger in a strange land.

Perhaps the RCC might take some corporate steps to help these folks out. Otherwise, it is what it is.
Would be as simple as requiring all parishes to have the slogan “In full communion with Rome” on their signs.

40.png
GKMotley:
Would be as simple as requiring all parishes to have the slogan “In full communion with Rome” on their signs.
Alternatively, “not in communion with Rome”. But I digress.

There seem now two parts to this mind boggling argument:
  1. that Anglican churches obscure their nature so as to, by design or by accident, lure non-Anglophone Catholics on holiday (although actually no evidence or example of this has been forthcoming)
And 2) that Anglicans are not part of the One Holy Apostolic Catholic Church, an argument that will go nowhere at all with Anglicans and therefore is not worth the typing.

Right, no Westminster, but corporate confession, yes, and the BCP version is used in the Ordinariates, minus “and there is no health in us,” of course. That line is too tulipy, I guess.

Some RCCs might be shocked (or offended) to learn that there is even auricular confession in some of the motleys.

I wonder what some of those some think of Anglicanorum coetibus and its fruit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back