Animals

  • Thread starter Thread starter bjcsfo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
the Bible states that animals have the same souls as humans Genes 1:20,21,30 and Genesis 2:7.
Pardon me.
But the cited quotes do not make statements about identical souls. These particular verses describe creation per se. (St. Joseph Edition, The New American Bible)

Catholic teaching is that humans have a spiritual, immaterial, immortal, eternal soul. It is because of our soul, that we are able to know and love our Creator. We, alone, are called to share, by knowledge and love, in God’s own life. This is because we are made “in the image of God.” We are not the same as other species. (Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraphs 355 - 368)

Blessings,
granny

The human person is destined for eternal life.

Link to Catechism of the Catholic Church – www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
 
Says who?

I am a licenced veterinary nurse. I have been with animals as they died plenty of times. I live with four dogs who are my best friends, and believe me they have souls. I think their souls are different, as you say, but different does not mean inferior.

Christ came to save mankind. Did it ever occur to you that animals did not need saving in the first place? Perhaps Heaven has always been open to them. In my gut, I feel it has. 🙂

In the end, you can’t prove animals are not in Heaven, and I can’t prove they are. We are both left with our gut feelings.
If we were given dominion over them, they are inferior. 🙂 Not in a bad or oppressive way, just inferior. Not unimportant, just inferior.

BTW, I am a veterinarian. Does that mean my opinions trump yours. :D;)
Jesus is coming back on a white horse.
Col. 1:20 says that Jesus redeemed all creatures by His blood on the cross.

Mary Buddemeyer-Porter, has written books about eternal life for animals - she is a Biblical scholar who has studied this subject for many years. Her publications can be found on Eden Publications.

Jan
Catholic Concern for Animals-USA
You do know that Revelation is highly symbolic, yes?
Isa 11:5-8 describes animals and children living together and that the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord.
We have a responsibility towards God’s creatures.

Rev. 5:8-14 shows how God is praised by all creatures in heaven.

Pope John Paul II and the Bible states that animals have the same souls as humans Genes 1:20,21,30 and Genesis 2:7.

Rev. 19:11 states about the white horse in heaven.

I’m looking forward to living with all of God’s creatures someday.

This is what I believe (along with many others).
Peace,
Jan
See above. Please list quotes from JPII and Genesis that say we have the same souls as animals.
I agree with your two cents. Let me add to it: it doesn’t make sense to me that God would create, only to have that creation just cease to exist. Therefore I think ALL of God’s creation will be ressurected in the end. There is no proof in the Bible to support either side of the ‘debate’. But I agree with Hereswith, there have been too many accounts of near-death experiences that describe seeing deceased pets for it to be discounted, at least for me.
Well, isn’t the earth going to be destroyed by some biblical accounts? Such was created. Trees and the like were created. Are they included in the resurrection?
I have a story. I had a greyhound who had this beautiful gentle presence, and a perpetual wise expression on his face. (Well, a lot of greys do, but he was special.) I started taking him to nursing homes and hospitals. Many times, an elderly person who had been unresponsive for months, would light up and respond to him. He seemed to know who needed him. I have seen him walk right up to someone in extreme pain (either emotional or physical) and lay his head on a person. (As a vet nurse, I’ve worked with a lot of dogs, and even therapy dogs are generally shy around people in extreme pain or strangers who are extremely emotional.) I find that I am at a loss for words to describe how. . .unusual this dog’s presence was in the company of misery. You just couldn’t shake him.

I was in awe of him, and he was always sweet to me, but I felt that he always held me at arm’s length a bit. It was as if he wasn’t here on earth to be my friend, but to do more. I couldn’t quite bond with him - as if I was somehow unworthy. I referred to myself as “Malcolm’s chauffeur”, and that is pretty much what I was. Last summer he was suddenly ill, and within days was diagnosed with liver cancer - at the young age of 7. He lived for 5 weeks of chemo. During that time, dozens of people came to my home to sit with him for hours, just to be in his presence or to “say good-bye”. Many of these people had greyhounds of their own, but spoke of Malcolm as being “like an angel”. A lot of people told me for the first time how they had adored him at first sight. They used words like “wise”, “old soul,” “angel” when talking about him.

When he died, the vet who put him down openly cried - even though he was an internal medicine specialist vet and worked with terminal illness daily. His techs told me that he never cried in front of clients, but he sobbed that day. He had only known Malcolm in the 5 weeks during which he had treated him.

After Malcolm died, I received over 200 cards and emails, many from people I had no memory of meeting, but who were telling me how they were grieving to hear of his death.

Now, I have owned a lot of pets, and I have worked with a lot of amazing therapy animals. But I have to tell you - there was something supernatural about Malcolm. I really in my heart of hearts think he was something from God - some kind of messager or angel. I’ll always believe that.
Not to seem cold, but there are thousands of touching stories about such special animals. Dogs are dogs. Angels are pure spirit, not body (dog or otherwise) and spirit.

I prefer to think of animals as reflections of our creator, the Almighty, rather than spiritual entities.

In any case, it’s a stretch to find biblical “proof” of what the OP is looking for.
 
CCC 367 Sometimes the soul is distinguished from the spirit: St. Paul for instance prays that God may sanctify his people “wholly”, with “spirit and soul and body” kept sound and blameless at the Lord’s coming. The Church teaches that this distinction does not introduce a duality into the soul. “Spirit” signifies that from creation man is ordered to a supernatural end and that his soul can gratuitously be raised beyond all it deserves to communion with God.

The above teaching of the Church clearly and unambiguously states only humans have a supernatural end. That means animals do not have a supernatural end. Therefore there can be no animals in Heaven.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top