Originally Posted by JRKH
It serves no good purpose to make comments that call into question the validity of annulments properly granted through the existing system.
I do not wish to discount the things you have said above. They clearly demonstrate that you have a pretty good understanding that the main problem exists, not in the tribunals - which only deal with these matters after a civil divorce has occurred - but rather with deeper issues of catechesis, cultural factors, effectiveness of pre-cana prep etc.
That said, what you have written above really does not address the quote of mine that it seems to be a response to.
I have received an annulment. Many other sincere people have too. After all, if these people weren’t sincere about their state of grace, they would not bother with an annulment at all.
I approached the process as honestly and as openly as possible.
I answered the 45 “essay type” questions only after much prayer and consideration.
I asked those who were to be witnesses to do the same. Answer honestly and to the best of your ability.
I knew that my former spouse would be contacted too and is able to provide her own (name removed by moderator)ut, and could ask her own witnesses to submit.
I did all of this and then we left it “in the hands of The Church”. In effect, following the instruction in Mt 18:17 to “Tell it to The Church”. Then I waited…and when the decision finally came down, I fully expected to abide by the other section of that instruction and to, “Listen to The Church”.
Now - after having gone through all of this, to have someone make comments about “false decrees” - thus calling into question my personal decree is - in my opinion - uncharitable. It hurts me and I’m sure that it hurts other people who, just like me, followed, in good conscious, the path laid out by the Church and remain obedient to Her decision.
If you wish to discuss the problems that lead TO the need for an annulment, that is fine. That would be a wonderful thread and I am sure that many who have been through through the process have a great deal of useful (name removed by moderator)ut to share.
But when one attacks the annulment process, calls into question the church defined criteria and uses the term “false decrees”, that person is not building a basis for a fruitful conversation.
Peace
James