Another "best" Bible question

  • Thread starter Thread starter dcana
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everybody.

I am a little bit late joining this thread, but it seems to be the most recent discussion on this topic, and I didn’t think it was worthwhile starting a brand-new thread. (Plus, questions about the Bible are some of my reasons for joining this forum.)

I have been browsing these forums for a while and there is a lot of information here; in fact, my eyes are burning from reading so much. However, I still have a couple questions.

The Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition (RSV-CE) seems to be highly recommended. How does the CE version differ from the non-CE version?

I am looking for one that is as true to the original Hebrew as possible (the Greek doesn’t matter to me). I have read that, within Judaism, the first five books of the Bible (the Torah or Pentateuch) are copied by specially-trained scribes who must copy the Tora exactly–not a phrase, word, or letter must be altered. Supposedly, these books were written by Moses as dictated to him directly from God. (Numerical values are assigned to each letter, so some people even think a coded message is included in these books, further enforcing the requirement that nothing must be changed because that would ruin the message.)

So, I would like a Bible whose translation of the original Hebrew is as accurate as possible.

Is the RSV-CE still the best one to get?

Regards,

David
 
I’m pretty sure that in the non-CE RSV you’ll be short 7 books in the OT, I’m not sure about other differences. It seems to be highly favored by many. I have causual experience with it, no real complaints about it. I do prefer the Douay, but I wouldnt’ tell someone it’s markedly better than the RSV option, particularly if the older style language is a barrier.
 
A couple more questions:
I have seen The Ignatius Bible recommended in these forums. However, I notice it is a Revised Standard Version, whereas so many other Bibles are New Revised Standard Versions. Is there a New Revised Standard Version of The Ignatius Bible? What is the difference between a RSV Bible and a NRSV Bible?
 
A couple more questions:
I have seen The Ignatius Bible recommended in these forums. However, I notice it is a Revised Standard Version, whereas so many other Bibles are New Revised Standard Versions. Is there a New Revised Standard Version of The Ignatius Bible? What is the difference between a RSV Bible and a NRSV Bible?
I prefer the RSV-2CE (2nd Catholic Edition) published by Ignatius and the NAB (New American Bible - multiple publishers). I like the NAB because that is what is used at Mass but like the RSV-2CE for the text. Please note that Ignatius does NOT publish a NRSV version.

Catholic.com has a good article on bible translations here:

catholic.com/library/Bible_Translations_Guide.asp

There is a nice translation chart here:

apbrown2.net/web/TranslationComparisonChart.htm

Another site with information on bible translations is here, and I’ve linked to the specific Roman Catholic section:

bible-researcher.com/romcath.html
 
A couple more questions:
I have seen The Ignatius Bible recommended in these forums. However, I notice it is a Revised Standard Version, whereas so many other Bibles are New Revised Standard Versions. Is there a New Revised Standard Version of The Ignatius Bible? What is the difference between a RSV Bible and a NRSV Bible?
The NRSV uses a lot of inclusive language, and in many cases it spoils messianic overtones and is used in passages where the original was most likely a male word for a reason. Think of the NJB but far less moderate! It is a shame, because Its a very good translaton otherwise. The RSV CE 2nd Edition is probably your best bet, great translation with no inclusive language. Even the original RSV CE is good, too. (Also known as the Ignatius Bible as you noted)
 
No bible is perfect.

I think the bible with the least amount of error in English would be the Confraternity New Testament–Douay Old Testament–with an English translation of the the Latin Bea Psalms authorized by Pope Pius XII.

Most of these bibles were printed betwwen 1949 and 1954.
 
The best english translation of the Tanach from Hebrew, from the point of view of accuracy, is the Stone edition which also includes a brief commentary.
 
The Christian reader of the Tanach must ask him/her self what they are seeking in an “accurate” translation of the Tanach from Hebrew into English. They must choose between a correct translation of the Hebrew and a traditional “corrected” Christian translation.

A simple demonstration may be seen in the example of Hosea 14:2. The passage should read in the English translation “substitute our lips for bullocks”. The meaning of the passage (and others in the Tanach) is quite clear. The sacrifices in the Temple for (unintentional) sin have been replaced with prayer. However such a meaning is not palatable to Christian theology. To the Christian, the Temple sacrifice has been replaced with the sacrifice of the Christian messiah and faith through him (I leave aside the additional problem that Temple sacrifice was never for intentional sin). If we accept the plain meaning of Hosea 14:2 (and other similar passages) than the sacrifice of the Christian messiah had no meaning.

The solution of the Christian translator was to obfuscate the translation to make it seem that the passage only refers to prayer without the substantial meaning of prayer as a replacement for Temple sacrifice.
The link gives an array of different Christian translations of the passage:
bible.cc/hosea/14-2.htm

This of course is hardly an isolated case. The changing of tenses, pronouns, punctuation and mistranslations in Christian translations of the Hebrew Tanach to English can be found in a plethora of examples (in one case an entire book of the Tanach is moved for this purpose). However, the reasons behind this special Christian translation is to bolster Christian beliefs. The Christian translation of the Hebrew Tanach may be inaccurate, but why should we not see the translation as part of the Christian scriptures even if it ostensibly is meant to represent a translation of the Tanach from the Hebrew?
 
Why do you need to choose one “best” Bible? Why not get a Catholic parallel Bible, or use several Catholic Bibles? There is nothing wrong with this and it could help you greatly.

Here’s a nice parallel English Catholic New Testament (Rheims-Challoner/RSV-CE/NAB/NRSV-CE/JB/GNT/NJB/CCB) – it isn’t expensive and it is easy to carry around. You can get new copies for as little as $13. (But don’t wait too long – I heard a rumor from the publisher that it was going out of print.)

After a few years of daily use of this parallel New Testament – you’ll really know which translation is best for you. And you’ll benefit from seeing how translators address the same verse in different ways.
 
Dcana:

If having pronunciation guides interests you, then get a Ignatius RSV-CE first edition. I have the burgundy vinal-covered one with gold edges. It has detailed phonetical marks and accent marks on almost all proper names the first time they appear in a verse. It also lists in the appendix where all the changes are made in the Catholic edition. Most are minor like “brethern” instead of “brothers”, and “full of grace” instead of “highly favored”. I use this one for Bible studies and RCIA work that use RSV-CE.

The 2nd Catholic edition by Ignatius removed the phonetical marks except accents and some of the critical text notes. Also gone are the list of changes made to make it the Catholic edition. The Catholic doctrinal notes are retained and are included conviently inside the text instead of at the back. The Ignatius 2nd-ed has margin headings and is prettier inside and out-especially the one with the soft leather cover.

My favorite Bible is the “Challoner” edition of the Douay-Rheims from St. Benedict press. Real black leather cover, good print and margins, very nice. The classic Catholic English Bible with better notes than the Confraternity (too much textual critisism, not enough Catholic doctrine.) I read it most of the time for my personal devotion.

In regards to new critical Latin and modern versions, these seem to be in a constant state of flux as no one has copies of the original manuscripts. Even if we got a new English Bible in Latin it would eventually probably be outdated.

Hope this helps, I bought a lot different Bibles before I found ones I liked.

Jonny Pollock
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top