Another oldie...Which do you prefer?

• Thread starter Thread starter boldlygo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beach!! Just love watching the waves come in and the smell of the ocean on the breeze.

Computer chair - with arms or without?

with. so i can lean back when i read something other than the computer screen.

milkshake with or without whipped cream?

without. Better with a scoop of ice cream 😉

hot fries - just plain salt or salt n vinegar sprinkled over them?

I normally go with just salt if I’m not having ketchup or mayonnaise. I don’t know why I haven’t tried vinegar, since I’d probably like it.

fruit: orange or apple?
Bing might be better now but it was horrible for way too long!
When I worked for Microsoft only a couple years ago, I still used Google. Bing was quite horrendous at even looking up Microsoft documentation. It may have worked like 85% of the time, but I had to use Google far too often to make up for Bing’s inability to find what I needed, so I just switched over and never looked back. DuckDuckGo was slightly better, but I still had to go back to Google far too often to justify making it my main search engine.

It’s a shame too, because I’d like to use a search engine that doesn’t require me to run an ad blocker to avoid getting flooded with ads I want nothing to do with and are sometimes for some really shady sites. At least ad-filled Google is great if I ever want a reminder of what justified paranoia feels like.

(Full disclosure: I now work for Google, though it should be obvious the above are just my experiences, not an official statement from the company.)

It’s a shame too, because I’d like to use a search engine that doesn’t require me to run an ad blocker to avoid getting flooded with ads I want nothing to do with and are sometimes for some really shady sites
Oranges! Though I really love apples, too.

Google ads drive me nuts. I buy a toaster oven online and google throws hundreds of ads at me for toaster ovens… I just bought one, I don’t need two! Show me ads for toaster oven accessories or BBQ grills or ceiling fans…not what I just bought! 😂😂😂

Grapes or cherries?

I’d like to use a search engine that doesn’t require me to run an ad blocker to avoid getting flooded with ads I want nothing to do with and are sometimes for some really shady sites.
Have you tried Startpage?

Last edited:
Homemade!

I’m hearing good things about the browser Brave. It’s based on googles engine/algorithms but it’s all about privacy and making sure sites can not glean any information on you. No ads and the search engine is google without the crap…so, supposedly very good!

Pizza with anchovies or without?

That’s very good to know. For years I’ve used Startpage. My browser used to be Palemoon after something that happened at HQ Firefox that was in the news years ago - so I changed. But then I also used Startpage. Currently as I am running a live version of Firefox on Ubuntu, I haven’t set up anything else (need to install it to an external HDD and then install the others).

Definitely without!

Vegetarian or Meat lovers pizza?

Last edited:
Meat lovers…cause I love meat!

May have already been asked but…
Pineapple on pizza or olives. (Yes, you must chose between them! ) 😂

Taskmistress! 🤣 😂

Pineapple (not a fan of olives either).

Pizza - home made or store bought?

On pizza - pepperoni…a well-done double cheese, double pepperoni is as good as it gets…

On a sandwich - definitely ham, my all-time favorite…

Rye or wheat toast?

Wheat, though I love rye as well.

Watching a sport: hockey or basketball?
Have you tried Startpage?
Yeah, but I don’t find it better, arguably even worse. My problem with Google is that if I search “Hilton hotels in Dallas”, I may get a bunch of ads for third-party booking companies that overshadow any official Hilton ones. StartPage will not only possibly do that, but it may also throw in a completely unrelated ad that’s even more shady than the third-party booking ones. (I think the second search I ever did on the site gave me one of these, and I thought I had encountered a bug before realizing it was an ad.)

Also, I personally find StartPage’s ads harder to distinguish from organic results than on Google, since the ‘Ad’ icon on Google is much more prominent.

And, yes, I know some people like StartPage for privacy, but that’s not really a selling point for me. It’s actually a bit of a deterrent, since I like having tailored results.

Last edited:
Understandable then. I haven’t encountered any of the bug bears you describe though. But may give Brave a trial as PattyIt suggested.

Can’t remember what I used to read as a kid - whatever my brothers had , but I think they were Marvel.

Books - fiction or non-fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back