Anti Catholic Super Bowl Ad

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fatima_Vision
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks as if these may be user submitted as one PP said. Usually big name products don’t preview Super Bowl commercials until the Super Bowl since it has become such a big deal to have the best commercial. Look at it from the advertisers point of view: Offensive as they may be, they are clever as far as advertising is concerned. I definitely agree that they can be taken as offensive, but you can’t say that they won’t be thought of as catchy. I also agree with the PP who said that boycotting can be dangerous. Am I going to stop shopping somewhere because they may give a portion of their billions to Planned Parenthood? No. Am I going to stop drinking Pepsi or eating Doritos because of these commercials? Nope. Am I offended by these, umm…not really, to be honest. Think of me what you will.
 
Regardless of what you think about them, they are usually at the front of any battle. I’m confident they’ll say something about it soon.
I’m sure they will. I’m just glad that the message is getting out now. This also made me start thinking about last years Super Bowl. Tim Tebow’s mother ran a commercial at the Super Bowl appealing to women, to think twice before they have an abortion, and the Planned Parenthood folks and others, threatened legal action against her & the networks for airing the commercial.

If it was up to doctors, Tim Tebow would’ve never been born. Doctors told his mother that he would probably die at birth and be a vegetable at best if he lived, and that she should have an abortion. Obviously that didn’t work out the way the doctor predicted.

I think its very strange that ads that sponsor the Super Bowl can be run all day long with more than half naked women in them promoting alcohol, but if someone runs an ad telling someone to think before they have an abortion, they are threatened with lawsuits and made out to be some kind of a monster. We really have taken morals as a whole in this country and flushed them down the toilet, haven’t we?

I really hope that the Pepsi and Doritos people think long & hard before they run these ads and decide not to. I guarantee if they decide to though, they and the network that originally runs these ads will lose a customer for life in me.
 
It looks as if these may be user submitted as one PP said. Usually big name products don’t preview Super Bowl commercials until the Super Bowl since it has become such a big deal to have the best commercial. Look at it from the advertisers point of view: Offensive as they may be, they are clever as far as advertising is concerned. I definitely agree that they can be taken as offensive, but you can’t say that they won’t be thought of as catchy. I also agree with the PP who said that boycotting can be dangerous. Am I going to stop shopping somewhere because they may give a portion of their billions to Planned Parenthood? No. Am I going to stop drinking Pepsi or eating Doritos because of these commercials? Nope. Am I offended by these, umm…not really, to be honest. Think of me what you will.
with the boycotting issue I’m not going to not buy something from a place just becuase a tiny portion goes to PP, but I will try to avoid buying things from there as much as I can, If I have to spend a dollar or two more to buy from a place that doesn’t support PP, but I won’t boycott a place if it will require major changes for me in my life. Now if this group gives a huge portion of their money to PP I would change but I won’t stop buying from a place becuase 1% of their funds or less go to PP.

But yes boycotting can be very negative when it comes to economic issues and some social issues if the place you boycott hires alot of disadvantaged people.

one last thing we will know if we have to vote down any of these ads in a few hours.
 
another reason not to drink Pepsi or eat Doritos

But the Frito-Lay is accomplishing what it wants - controversity
 
The Adam and Eve one? No, it doesn’t bother me.

Actually, the Birthday Wishes one is offensive to me (but not at all in the same league as the church one). However, I am probably just too old-fashioned. 😦
how does it please explain
 
The pole.
oh haha I see, well thats just society for you. Bring JPII message to the world of his theology of the Body and get them to change their minds. As someone said JPII message is like a ticking time bomb when it goes off the world will change drastically
 
I do recall, something similar to this happened with a world cup Ad for, I believe Hyundai, that I may be incorrect. With regards with the pastor wearing the wedding ring, I’d like to point out that they are married, (mainly Eastern) priests. But, I’d see, given the set up of the service, that he was probably Lutheran. (most Lutherans have traditonally had communion every Sunday). I probably won’t stop eating Doritos. Because they probably won’t air those. I don’t like Pepsi anyway, so that’s no worry…
 
I do think this is generically making fun of the Christian faith, and the creative minds either don’t see any issue with it or don’t mind there being an issue. For that, I’ll send a letter of complaint. Our cherished institutions ought to be off the table, simply as a sense of politeness.

Still, only the Adam & Eve could make it to the top 3 - none of the others are finalists. Odd though that there’s a spate of religious commercials this time around.

As I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Sprue, I can’t eat gluten, which means I can’t eat Doritos anyway and probably can’t have Pepsi (caramel coloring - surprisingly made from wheat starch). But I certainly won’t be supplying these for get-togethers either.

You wouldn’t see a Muslim-related commercial on the Super Bowl anyway - most Americans wouldn’t understand a citation to the Quran

As far as the pastor wearing a ring - some do as a demonstration of celibacy. A friend of ours, who is a celibate, permanent Deacon, bought a wedding ring for his ordination.
 
I signed the petition and I received this email message from PepsiCo Consumer Relations:
Thank you for contacting us at PepsiCo to share your sincere thoughts.
We want to reassure you that the commercial you cited was not one conceived and produced by PepsiCo, and it never aired on television. Rather, it was a consumer submission in our web-based Crash the Super Bowl promotion, in which participants can upload their own 30-second spots for Doritos tortilla chips or Pepsi MAX to be considered for broadcast during Super Bowl XLV.
We announced the contest finalists this morning and this consumer submission is not included in that selection. We hope you are further reassured to know that this consumer submission will not be aired during the Super Bowl, nor will it be included in any other Doritos or Pepsi MAX marketing programs in the future.
We apologize if you were upset or offended by this consumer submission, and we will share your feedback with our marketing teams so they can be aware of your concerns.
Thanks again for taking the time to write.
PepsiCo Consumer Relations
 
Since the pastor is wearing a wedding ring, I doubt this is a Catholic priest.
So it’s okay then and everyone is going to notice the wedding ring? Even if it isn’t focused toward we Catholics, it is focused against religion. So we should not be bothered by it?🤷
 
So it’s okay then and everyone is going to notice the wedding ring? Even if it isn’t focused toward we Catholics, it is focused against religion. So we should not be bothered by it?🤷
Nope…That’s why I signed the petition against it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top