Anti-God TV Shows, sick of them

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dark_Warrior
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the computer because I can’t find any Catholic friends like you guys. No one seems to care around here and I need to be with people of the faith, otherwise I get depressed, quickly! So it’s tough. The people around here just go to Mass, then back home, like a simply ritual. never seem to talk or chat about anything spiritual, and that’s what I miss from my old Protestant Church. 😦
I hear this a lot. Maybe it’s just your church? At our church many of us hang around and chat after Mass. The Mass is centered on Christ. For fellowship, have you considered a parish group that interests you?🙂
 
I’m so tired of all these anti-God tv shows lately. Especially “Bones” and “House.” While I admit House is interesting, I’m just sick of all the negativity and lack of respect for faith, Bones makes me madder than most, the main character mostly, always claiming there’s no God and making all people of Faith sound ridiculous and superstitious. And while the second main character Booth sticks up for God, there’s never anything positive, Bones sets forth reasons for God’s nonexistence and they’re never refuted. How does that make it sound to the million of viewers?
I understand where you’re coming from regarding ‘Bones’ but I do like the show. Yes, Bones, the character, is consistently anti-religious but she is also portrayed as being a bit psychologically damaged by being abandoned by her parents and brother when she was young. In addition, she is portrayed as being rather obnoxious.

The most mentally ‘together’ person on the show, the FBI agent, is a devout Catholic who constantly defends the Church. (He is a bit inconsistent, however, in that he periodically engages in premarital sex.)

House is also a jerk. There was one great episode where he tries to convince a woman to have an abortion saying that the fetus wasn’t a baby. She refuses and he has to operate on the baby in utero to save the mother’s life. When he opens up the mother’s womb, the baby reaches out and grabs his finger. It was one of the most powerful pro-life statements I’ve seen on TV.

Gary
 
Whenever Bones makes a comment or a “speech” about Christianity, down grading it, Booth never refutes the claims and leaves the viewers thinking that he’s irrational and delusional like all atheists think.
OK, he doesn’t quote from a Catholic Answers tract but he doesn’t sit there silently. At least Booth knows the Eucharist is the body and blood of Jesus which puts him ahead of quite a few, if not most, Catholics.

Gary
 
OK, he doesn’t quote from a Catholic Answers tract but he doesn’t sit there silently. At least Booth knows the Eucharist is the body and blood of Jesus which puts him ahead of quite a few, if not most, Catholics.

Gary
Lol, hi Gary.

Yes, I know the plot about “Bones.” Have seen them all, my wife loves the show. But…No!, Booth never says anything past simple belief, Bones attacks Christianity, (notice, it’s always Christianity) claiming archeology and/or historian evidence has proved it wrong and the “dellusion” is no different than any other age old myth.

Booth never refutes her or comes back with an answer other than a simple childish belief. Bones brings down the Pope because of his expensive clothes, calling him vain or vanity after Booth made a comment about a woman protestant preacher doing something he thought of as vanity, and all he responds back to Bones is “oh, you’re going to attack the Pope now?” Nothing else, giving a clear example that the Pope (like many “religious” people) are hypocrites and vain. Not to mention that episode was in FULL ACCEPTENCE and support of transgender.

Also, in that episode Bones totally thrashed the doctrine of the Eucharist as being completely nonesense and vain, Booth said not one word, having a look of ignorance across his face. What does that say to the non-believer viewers?

It’s always the same negative things, time and time again.

I’ll admit that House episode sounds awesome. Missed that one.

But over all the anti-religious shows with the MAIN stars are becoming something of the norm now-a-days.
 
OK, he doesn’t quote from a Catholic Answers tract but he doesn’t sit there silently. At least Booth knows the Eucharist is the body and blood of Jesus which puts him ahead of quite a few, if not most, Catholics.

Gary
you do realize Booth is an actor, right? 😉

I highly doubt he’s beyond “most” Catholics on the understanding of the Eucharist.
 
you do realize that Bones is about an actual real person Kathy Reichs
Trivia -Born in 1950, in Chicago. Her Occupation is Forensic anthropologist,
Kathleen Joan “Kathy” Reichs is native of Chicago and works as a forensic anthropologist, an academic, She is a Professor of anthropology at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

She is also an author and has written about her life, and she is an atheist, hence the premise of her character in the show.

I watch Bones and I like the show. I think her whole personality is atheistic, her thinking is totally atheistic . It is in no way detrimental to me being Catholic, I think the characater of Booth is interesting in the fact that he is Catholic. I have actually asked people that I know who are not Catholic what they think when she rankles on Christianity. They have all said they don’t pay any attention to that, first it is just a tv show, secondly that is just who she is an atheist why would she say anything different.
 
you do realize that Bones is about an actual real person Kathy Reichs
Trivia -Born in 1950, in Chicago. Her Occupation is Forensic anthropologist,
Kathleen Joan “Kathy” Reichs is native of Chicago and works as a forensic anthropologist, an academic, She is a Professor of anthropology at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

She is also an author and has written about her life, and she is an atheist, hence the premise of her character in the show.

I watch Bones and I like the show. I think her whole personality is atheistic, her thinking is totally atheistic . It is in no way detrimental to me being Catholic, I think the characater of Booth is interesting in the fact that he is Catholic. I have actually asked people that I know who are not Catholic what they think when she rankles on Christianity. They have all said they don’t pay any attention to that, first it is just a tv show, secondly that is just who she is an atheist why would she say anything different.
I know people who do not like the negativity in it, and think it’s absolute nonesense, so it obviously effects certain individuals.

And you’re missing my point, Booth NEVER resonds back with any sound wisdom when Bones, as you put it, “rankles on Christianity.” How can that stand as innocent, or as something God would admire, when the outcome is for Christianity or Booth to look ridiculous. Everything we do we’re supposed to do it for God’s glory. These shows are not God’s glory.

Influences effect us, whether it be music, literature, politics, society, the media, etc. After a while, having so much anti-religious tv shows, where the main characters are anti-religious (especially against christianity), where immorality stands high, where God is kicked to the side, it WILL and has had an effect on human beings, and this is my point, all the junk today is tottaly focused off of God.
 
I know people who do not like the negativity in it, and think it’s absolute nonesense, so it obviously effects certain individuals.

And you’re missing my point, Booth NEVER resonds back with any sound wisdom when Bones, as you put it, “rankles on Christianity.” How can that stand as innocent, or as something God would admire, when the outcome is for Christianity or Booth to look ridiculous. Everything we do we’re supposed to do it for God’s glory. These shows are not God’s glory.

Influences effect us, whether it be music, literature, politics, society, the media, etc. After a while, having so much anti-religious tv shows, where the main characters are anti-religious (especially against christianity), where immorality stands high, where God is kicked to the side, it WILL and has had an effect on human beings, and this is my point, all the junk today is tottaly focused off of God.
Booth is just a character on a TV show!
 
You mean,

“Highway to Heaven,” a New Age Show about how people become “angels” when they die and get new identities different from their old ones, and then go around doing good works on earth to atone for their sins in life? Yeah, that’s got a lot in accord with Catholic teaching. But I still enjoy the show, and it does have some good morals.

“Touched by an Angel,” a show that I rarely watched, but one of the few times I did, one of the “angels” had Alzheimer’s?

“Father Murphy,” as I understand it, was about an Episcopalian.

Paul Attanasio, one of the creators of House, is Catholic. He’s a fairly liberal Catholic, and has written very negatively on the Church’s teaching on contraception. However, he was also involved in The Fourth Wiseman and some other Catholic productions in the 80s, and he was one of the creators of the very pro-life, pro-Catholic series Homicide in the 90s.

Whether the Simpsons is anti-Christian is in the eye of the beholder. I’ve never understood why anyone would consider Ned Flanders a negative character; he’s my role model. Yeah, there are a few episodes where he’s treated unsympathetically, but for the most part, he’s the “good guy” straight-man to Homer’s anti-hero.

The episode with Liam Neeson that was delayed because of JPII’s death was outstanding. Usually, The Simpsons satirizes “liberal” religion and hypocrisy, like the Super Bowl episode that Bill Donohue attacked in the 90s: it wasn’t making fun of Catholicism; it was making fun of “progressive” Catholicism. When I saw the actual show, it actually made me a fan. As Matt Groening points out, The Simpsons is the only show on TV these days that features a family who go to Church every week.

I watch all my shows a week delayed on online downloads, so I haven’t seen this controversial Bones episode, but I take everything she says on religion with a grain of salt. I at least take comfort in Booth’s faith (even if he may not be a “perfect Catholic” or an expert apologist). Remember: part of the point is that she’s ultimately clueless about what makes people essentially human, and her atheism is a part of that.

Remember also that the character who was her atheist counterpart on the show turned out to be an accomplice to a serial killer.
 
I can’t tell you how hard it was to finally quit “The Simpsons” (about three years ago). I just got too sick of their Christianity-bashing. But once I actually stopped watching it, I didn’t miss it at all.
Agreed. While very funny, I found The Simpsons anti-Catholic and couldn’t watch it anymore. Unfortunately, my teenage son still likes it.😦
 
I watched about five minutes of that show once, and I was ready to crawl under the coffee table and hide. They use language that I don’t use in bed with my wife — and with three kids, I’m no prude. What’s worse, teenage girls like that show (shudder).
What bothered me more than the language was the anti-Catholicism. Carrie making fun of Miranda’s baby being christened and taking jabs at the Church; Miranda’s Catholic MIL (portrayed by Anne Meara, an ex-Catholic who is also on my $#%^ list of annoying celebs) being portrayed, as Catholic women often are by the media, as being stupid and frumpy. :mad:
 
Agreed. While very funny, I found The Simpsons anti-Catholic and couldn’t watch it anymore. Unfortunately, my teenage son still likes it.😦
Didn’t Bart Simpson convert to Catholicism on one episode? I thought they had some good Catholic episodes surrounding his conversion? (I’ve never seen them, I read this on another, older thread)
 
What bothered me more than the language was the anti-Catholicism. Carrie making fun of Miranda’s baby being christened and taking jabs at the Church; Miranda’s Catholic MIL (portrayed by Anne Meara, an ex-Catholic who is also on my $#%^ list of annoying celebs) being portrayed, as Catholic women often are by the media, as being stupid and frumpy. :mad:
i always found anne meara annoying also. i had just read recently that she was raised catholic and then converted to judaism i guess when she married ben stillers dad (her husband’s names escapes me right now - but i know he was on the tv show King of Queens).
i barely watch any tv dramas or sitcoms anymore. television is not like it was in the 50’s and 60’s when we only had 3 channels, but there were so many good shows on. i find the sitcoms so “unfunny”.
i love the books that kathy reichs writes and i tried watching the tv show Bones, but i cannot sit through an entire episode of any tv show anymore.
i lose interest. they are all alike.
the main character on the tv show House is so annoying. he thinks he is so much smarter than everyone else. could someone with an attitude like that really be a doctor in today’s world? his character is just strange so it wouldn’t surprise me to hear him say anti-christian statements.
i would think that most people who watch a lot of tv, probably aren’t very religious anyway. i never watched one episode of sex and the city or west wing or 30 Rock. there is so much hype in these tv hits and it is all made up!! i watched the Emmy’s a couple of weeks ago and these people think way too much of themselves for what they are doing. the adoration of these actors and actresses is over the top. i think we need to be worried about shows like south park. i wonder what life would be like today if television had not been invented. i definitely don’t find television a form of entertainment. i watch Fox News and Nancy Grace (to catch up on latest legal cases). the old movies are good, otherwise i don’t bother with the rest. these shows have too much influence on our culture i think.

didn’t mean to write such a long rambling post.
 
You mean,

“Highway to Heaven,” a New Age Show about how people become “angels” when they die and get new identities different from their old ones, and then go around doing good works on earth to atone for their sins in life? Yeah, that’s got a lot in accord with Catholic teaching. But I still enjoy the show, and it does have some good morals.

“Touched by an Angel,” a show that I rarely watched, but one of the few times I did, one of the “angels” had Alzheimer’s?

“Father Murphy,” as I understand it, was about an Episcopalian.

Paul Attanasio, one of the creators of House, is Catholic. He’s a fairly liberal Catholic, and has written very negatively on the Church’s teaching on contraception. However, he was also involved in The Fourth Wiseman and some other Catholic productions in the 80s, and he was one of the creators of the very pro-life, pro-Catholic series Homicide in the 90s.

Whether the Simpsons is anti-Christian is in the eye of the beholder. I’ve never understood why anyone would consider Ned Flanders a negative character; he’s my role model. Yeah, there are a few episodes where he’s treated unsympathetically, but for the most part, he’s the “good guy” straight-man to Homer’s anti-hero.

The episode with Liam Neeson that was delayed because of JPII’s death was outstanding. Usually, The Simpsons satirizes “liberal” religion and hypocrisy, like the Super Bowl episode that Bill Donohue attacked in the 90s: it wasn’t making fun of Catholicism; it was making fun of “progressive” Catholicism. When I saw the actual show, it actually made me a fan. As Matt Groening points out, The Simpsons is the only show on TV these days that features a family who go to Church every week.

I watch all my shows a week delayed on online downloads, so I haven’t seen this controversial Bones episode, but I take everything she says on religion with a grain of salt. I at least take comfort in Booth’s faith (even if he may not be a “perfect Catholic” or an expert apologist). Remember: part of the point is that she’s ultimately clueless about what makes people essentially human, and her atheism is a part of that.

Remember also that the character who was her atheist counterpart on the show turned out to be an accomplice to a serial killer.
I don’t expect Booth to be a “perfect Catholic” or an “expert apologist,” LOL. You mad eme laugh.

But again, the point is, it’s always downplaying Christianity.

Maybe the show is fine, as it seems I have pressed some buttons. But it’s not for me, and knowing myself and my past Atheism, Bones would’ve been my hero and I would’ve all the more fought against the idea of God and religion. But I guess it’s just me. 😃
 
I don’t expect Booth to be a “perfect Catholic” or an “expert apologist,” LOL. You mad eme laugh.

But again, the point is, it’s always downplaying Christianity.

Maybe the show is fine, as it seems I have pressed some buttons. But it’s not for me, and knowing myself and my past Atheism, Bones would’ve been my hero and I would’ve all the more fought against the idea of God and religion. But I guess it’s just me. 😃
Because people may disagree with you does not mean that you have pressed some buttons.:confused:

I am not in the least bit upset that you do not like Bones in fact I really don’t care. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, if we differ fine no problem!
 
Lol, hi Gary.

Yes, I know the plot about “Bones.” Have seen them all, my wife loves the show. But…No!, Booth never says anything past simple belief, Bones attacks Christianity, (notice, it’s always Christianity) claiming archeology and/or historian evidence has proved it wrong and the “dellusion” is no different than any other age old myth.

Booth never refutes her or comes back with an answer other than a simple childish belief. Bones brings down the Pope because of his expensive clothes, calling him vain or vanity after Booth made a comment about a woman protestant preacher doing something he thought of as vanity, and all he responds back to Bones is “oh, you’re going to attack the Pope now?” Nothing else, giving a clear example that the Pope (like many “religious” people) are hypocrites and vain. Not to mention that episode was in FULL ACCEPTENCE and support of transgender.

Also, in that episode Bones totally thrashed the doctrine of the Eucharist as being completely nonesense and vain, Booth said not one word, having a look of ignorance across his face. What does that say to the non-believer viewers?

It’s always the same negative things, time and time again.

I’ll admit that House episode sounds awesome. Missed that one.

But over all the anti-religious shows with the MAIN stars are becoming something of the norm now-a-days.
I think there was an episode where Bones went off on a non-Christian religion but I don’t remember the details. However, every other time it has been Christianity.

However, you are missing one of my points: Bones is portrayed as the kind of person for whom any time you had to spend with her would be deducted from your time in Purgatory.

As far as Booth is concerned, he’s an FBI agent, not a theologian. The fact that he can answer her at all is interesting to me. He didn’t say much about her attacks this past week but the situation was such that his main interest was getting her to shut up.

Gary
 
i just watched a show i had never seen before. i was aware of it but hadnt seen it. its always sunny in philiadelphia.

worse than any of these listed by far.

priests being seduced to leave the priest hood, urinating on an image of the blessed mother, and then ‘teabagging’ an unconcious man.

all of this encouraged and thought up by the main characters, all of whom are ‘catholic’
 
i just watched a show i had never seen before. i was aware of it but hadnt seen it. its always sunny in philiadelphia.

worse than any of these listed by far.

priests being seduced to leave the priest hood, urinating on an image of the blessed mother, and then ‘teabagging’ an unconcious man.

all of this encouraged and thought up by the main characters, all of whom are ‘catholic’
teabagging…:hmmm:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top