Any Black Lives Matter Catholics here?

  • Thread starter Thread starter WillPhillips
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A person can see past skin color and stand against prejudice without joining a club.
Well you said there was no need in “joining a club” (ie pointless in joint BLM).

And I’m curious about the support (or lack thereof) of this Catholic BLM article.

Seems there is zero support, but I’ll give it a bit of time.
 
Is membership in BLM your litmus test for racist vs not-racist?
 
Is membership in BLM your litmus test for racist vs not-racist?
Yes, this post was a test… :roll_eyes:

Actually, I’m curious about responses to this (Catholic published) article, which I asked about above. What is your opinion of this article?
 
Yes. Whatever you want to call them, national socialists, alt-right. They tell their sympathizers to join the force. It’s a well known and scary fact.

You’re a very hostile person. You need to pray and take a look at yourself. I’m actually an ethnic person if you must know and I care about racism but you seem like a fanatic with anger issues. I’m still trying to figure out what so made you snap about my post. People aren’t always going to say exactly what you want them to, especially so late at night.
 
I’m willing to bet on that, Scarlet.
I consider myself an anti-racist but folks like this, hostile fanatics, just hurt the cause. Even a wonderful, moral cause like this. When I see someone who I feel doesn’t understand the dangers of, say, “race-realism” (the resurrection of old time racist ideas under the guise of science) I smile and try to educate them. You can’t change society by running around mocking and insulting people. That is not from God and sadly, it’s what fanatics do.
 
I’m not black, for context.

I don’t have a particularly high opinion of BLM as a movement. I don’t think they’re terrorist monsters or anything, I just have some reservations.

I’m very sympathetic to the idea of comprehensive police reform though.
 
Why assume that Trump was calling people who are demonstrating peacefully? It is obvious he was not. I count those anarchists who are burning businesses and vehicles as thugs myself. To me, all lives matter and I am as upset as anyone who saw the life being snuffed out of that poor man.
 
Catholic Church teaches ALL people matter - no matter which skin color, race, ethnicity, sexuality, sex, age and religion they are. All lives matter.
Being pro Black Lives Matter is necessary in places where racism against black people is present.
I live in country where total number of black people is really small and racism against them isn’t that much present, I could say there is no almost any.

I think it is right to be pro Black Lives Matter but with right motives and with right acting. You know, like not destroying other’s properties and simmilar or not doing the same evil to others.
 
Last edited:
I’ve been dealing with this for more than 50 years. No, ‘Black is beautiful’ does not mean white is ugly. No, BLM does not mean white lives don’t matter.

BLM means don’t treat a set of people differently based on race. Equal treatment is a Catholic value.
 
Last edited:
is that BLM is a counter productive movement that provokes and deepens racializing thinking and ‘us versus them’ combat paradigms
So no oppressed group should stand up for itself, lest is be accused of us-vs-them?
What’s the take on Catholic support of BLM (see article)?
I read the article and would like to hear other ideas from CAFers about how our Church should respond. I’m white and glad to see the BLM movement. It sounds like it’s overdue.
It would be nice if she explained exactly how white Catholics are complicit in the sin of racism.
That depends on the individual Catholic and is a matter between the individual and his/her confessor. Racism is indeed a sin. And it’s one that actually exists.
A discussion is appropriate but the Church shouldn’t get close since the group very much supports abortion.
BLM isn’t an official non-profit organization, so it cannot take any official stance. Its members come from a variety of ideological backgrounds.
 
OP, you said
Imagine the beautiful symbol of accompaniment the church could provide if we saw priests and religious in collars standing in solidarity with activists… demanding that our country be a better place for black Americans.
You want our clergy, who are having enough trouble getting the churches opened back up for Mass and trying to make sure that we don’t exceed 25 percent of a church capacity or 50 people indoors or whatever limit the local government has set, and doing all the social distancing and sanitizing etc, to be going out and participating in protest activities that, even if they don’t turn outright violent on the spot, will put them and all of their parish at risk for COVID-19?


Did you really think about this before you just decided it would be a good idea?

Many priests, clergy and Catholics generally support equality, fair treatment, justice etc and do not approve of a cop kneeling on somebody’s neck for 9 minutes. In other circumstances and other times, Catholics, including clergy, have not hesitated to participate in non-violent protests (emphasis on the non-violent). However, going out and demonstrating/ rioting in large groups is very imprudent right now, and those who do it and their local communities will likely be paying the piper later for that behavior. I think our clergy right now have to focus on serving the people who have been deprived of Mass and Eucharist for weeks rather than on joining the latest round of ill-advised protests.

And of course America magazine, which is to liberal Catholics what Church Militant is to conservatives, is going to be all in favor of us all joining in protests like a bunch of modern-day Berrigans.

I’m not even addressing the BLM question because as others have stated, BLM has no official platform, so it’s not possible to align with it when it might be coming out in favor of something that’s against Church teaching any minute. Catholic teaching already endorses and embraces equality and justice for all, and also teaches that “all lives matter”, whether people like that slogan or not.
 
Last edited:
For the record, I read through the long winded article…
  • The USCCB already released a statement on the matter.
  • Our Priests and Religious have a responsibility to those under their care. We cannot have them jeopardizing their health and safety by engaging in volatile protests.
 
Last edited:
A black man was killed by a white cop while three other cops stood by, and you call BLM the terrorists.
 
And I’m curious about the support (or lack thereof) of this Catholic BLM article.
I did not read it as a Catholic BLM article. The author only alluded to them in one context toward the middle. The only point made was that they could be invited to speak at a church. Maybe that would word somewhere. I would say what might be more useful is to organize a Catholic social movement from the USCCB, to the dioceses, to the parishes for social justice in law enforcement. That way all action would be more in line with the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr., and less in line with what is happening today.
 
BLM is a loose coalition of terrorist groups and individuals that plays the race card to justify its violent activities.
I think it is more of a statement than activities. Don’t you think black lives matter? (It is not enough to say ‘all lives matter’)
 
Just watch the news and then you can tell me. The coverage on CNN last night was particularly telling.
 
As I understand it, one policeman was arrested and charged, and the others are under investigation. And I don’t think it matters one bit to the vandals burning and looting in Minneapolis, NYC, Atlanta and wherever. It’s just an excuse to commit terrorist acts. And yes, I do believe that the people who live in these areas are terrorized by these angry mobs who are running around burning and looting. To attempt to dignify their actions as some kind of legitimate protest is a slap in the face to all of those who have marched in peaceful protest over the years.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top