Any Canonized Saints we've never heard of?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dronald
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is he? When I read your post chills went down my spine. I hope its not the Lucifer that im thinking of 😦
Lucifer, bishop of Cagliari in Sardinia, died around A.D. 370. He has a local cultus and is venerated in Sardinia as a saint, but not in the universal Church. He was a staunchly orthodox bishop who vigorously opposed the Arian heresy, and suffered much for it. He was associated with a brief schism due to his opposition to allowing reconciled former Arian clergy to resume their priestly duties, and came into conflict with other bishops, and to further his position, he unilaterally consecrated a bishop. His weakness was more of lack of tact, but his position was completely understandable, given that he suffered much under the Arians. He never denied the validity of the former Arians’ holy Orders; he only insisted that they not be reinstated to their former dignity. His schism did not last long after his death.

Catholic Encyclopedia article: newadvent.org/cathen/09410b.htm
 
Lucifer, bishop of Cagliari in Sardinia, died around A.D. 370. He has a local cultus and is venerated in Sardinia as a saint, but not in the universal Church. He was a staunchly orthodox bishop who vigorously opposed the Arian heresy, and suffered much for it. He was associated with a brief schism due to his opposition to allowing reconciled former Arian clergy to resume their priestly duties, and came into conflict with other bishops, and to further his position, he unilaterally consecrated a bishop. His weakness was more of lack of tact, but his position was completely understandable, given that he suffered much under the Arians. He never denied the validity of the former Arians’ holy Orders; he only insisted that they not be reinstated to their former dignity. His schism did not last long after his death.

Catholic Encyclopedia article: newadvent.org/cathen/09410b.htm
Would not want to have his name, though:eek:

The saint I mentioned St. Wendelin of Trier, I think lived about the same time period as this one. Perhaps a bit later. 🤷
 
Would not want to have his name, though:eek:

The saint I mentioned St. Wendelin of Trier, I think lived about the same time period as this one. Perhaps a bit later. 🤷
ā€œLuciferā€ as a name for the devil came only later and was a result of the Vulgate rendition of Isaiah 14:12, where it appears as a common, not proper noun. Bishop Lucifer was most likely named after Christ himself, and the term lucifer (again as a common noun) appears in the Exsultet for the Easter Vigil, in reference to Christ. The name itself originally had positive connotations as we can see from history and was not originally contrary to Christian sensibilities.
 
That was NOT a canonization.
Couldn’t help but notice it your handle is indicates that you live in the Philippines. How’d you fare through the Typhoon? (not hurricane, right? correct me if i\I’m wrong, but I believe they call 'me typhoons in the pacific, and hurricanes in the Atlantic).

How are the rescue/recovery efforts going there?
 
Couldn’t help but notice it your handle is indicates that you live in the Philippines. How’d you fare through the Typhoon? (not hurricane, right? correct me if i\I’m wrong, but I believe they call 'me typhoons in the pacific, and hurricanes in the Atlantic).

How are the rescue/recovery efforts going there?
Thanks for asking. By the way you are correct about the name. Hurricane, Typhoon and Cyclone are different names for exactly the same thing. The different names are given so you know what part of the world the storm is taking place. Hurricane - Atlantic Ocean, Typhoon - Pacific Ocean, and Cyclone - Indian Ocean.
Despite the typhoon being 400 miles wide we were fortunate here in Manila not to be affected by it but I know many people who have relatives in the typhoon hit area who are very worried.
The whole infrastructure was destroyed and communication for the survivors is non-existent at the moment so not possible for family to know what is happening.
We were hit earlier in the year by typhoons but missed the super-typhoon. This is actually the 25th typhoon to hit the Philippines this year. We get an average of about 20 per year.
What was worse for one island - Bohol - is that they were hit a month ago by a 7.1 earthquake and now hit by the typhoon. Very sad. Thousands dead.
Help has been slow because the magnitude of the disaster has overwhelmed the authorities here, more so with road and airport infrastructures being destroyed. US aircraft carrier arrived today so things are moving now albeit slowly.
To give you an idea of how strong the typhoon was it was several times more powerful than Hurricane Katrina.
I pray daily for those who have died and for the survivors.
 
Thanks for asking. By the way you are correct about the name. Hurricane, Typhoon and Cyclone are different names for exactly the same thing. The different names are given so you know what part of the world the storm is taking place. Hurricane - Atlantic Ocean, Typhoon - Pacific Ocean, and Cyclone - Indian Ocean.
Despite the typhoon being 400 miles wide we were fortunate here in Manila not to be affected by it but I know many people who have relatives in the typhoon hit area who are very worried.
The whole infrastructure was destroyed and communication for the survivors is non-existent at the moment so not possible for family to know what is happening.
We were hit earlier in the year by typhoons but missed the super-typhoon. This is actually the 25th typhoon to hit the Philippines this year. We get an average of about 20 per year.
What was worse for one island - Bohol - is that they were hit a month ago by a 7.1 earthquake and now hit by the typhoon. Very sad. Thousands dead.
Help has been slow because the magnitude of the disaster has overwhelmed the authorities here, more so with road and airport infrastructures being destroyed. US aircraft carrier arrived today so things are moving now albeit slowly.
To give you an idea of how strong the typhoon was it was several times more powerful than Hurricane Katrina.
I pray daily for those who have died and for the survivors.
We are praying for you guys and those in Vietnam who we understand got hit really hard also by this storm. :D:gopray::gopray::gopray:
 
Lucifer, bishop of Cagliari in Sardinia, died around A.D. 370. He has a local cultus and is venerated in Sardinia as a saint, but not in the universal Church. He was a staunchly orthodox bishop who vigorously opposed the Arian heresy, and suffered much for it. He was associated with a brief schism due to his opposition to allowing reconciled former Arian clergy to resume their priestly duties, and came into conflict with other bishops, and to further his position, he unilaterally consecrated a bishop. His weakness was more of lack of tact, but his position was completely understandable, given that he suffered much under the Arians. He never denied the validity of the former Arians’ holy Orders; he only insisted that they not be reinstated to their former dignity. His schism did not last long after his death.

Catholic Encyclopedia article: newadvent.org/cathen/09410b.htm
I went to Catholic.org I believe and went to saints under L and could not find him. But I’m glad that you posted this.

But I agree not a good name
 
By the way, in the cases of the persons I said were not canonized that does not necessarily mean I do not think they are saints. I’m simply saying they were not canonized.
 
Thanks for asking. By the way you are correct about the name. Hurricane, Typhoon and Cyclone are different names for exactly the same thing. The different names are given so you know what part of the world the storm is taking place. Hurricane - Atlantic Ocean, Typhoon - Pacific Ocean, and Cyclone - Indian Ocean.
Despite the typhoon being 400 miles wide we were fortunate here in Manila not to be affected by it but I know many people who have relatives in the typhoon hit area who are very worried.
The whole infrastructure was destroyed and communication for the survivors is non-existent at the moment so not possible for family to know what is happening.
We were hit earlier in the year by typhoons but missed the super-typhoon. This is actually the 25th typhoon to hit the Philippines this year. We get an average of about 20 per year.
What was worse for one island - Bohol - is that they were hit a month ago by a 7.1 earthquake and now hit by the typhoon. Very sad. Thousands dead.
Help has been slow because the magnitude of the disaster has overwhelmed the authorities here, more so with road and airport infrastructures being destroyed. US aircraft carrier arrived today so things are moving now albeit slowly.
To give you an idea of how strong the typhoon was it was several times more powerful than Hurricane Katrina.
I pray daily for those who have died and for the survivors.
Thistle:

Thank you for the in depth reply. That’s very tragic. Glad you (and Manilla) weren’t effected, but I’ll be praying additionally for those who were (and the extra insight also helps to muster greater passion, sincerity, and empathy, in prayer). I’ll also look into contributing to Catholic Charities (or other Catholic relief organization I can identify if not CC not involved–but I’m pretty sure they are–saw a guy from Cat. Charites being interviewed on Monday morning news–NBC I think he was on), for relief efforts.

btw: If I remember correctly, typhoons and hurricanes spin in opposite directions. Thanks for info. re. cyclone/Indian ocean–wasn’t aware of that.
 
^^^just to correct myself above: it appears hurricanes & typhoons/cyclones spin the same direction–counterclockwise north of the equator, clockwise, south. (google’s a great thing!). So you were correct.

:cool:
 
St Wendelin was not canonized.
How did some of the people in the early Church get the title ā€œSaintā€ if there was no canonization process as we know it today?🤷 I would think the folks who attend St Wendelin Parish would be surprised to know their patron is not canonized!🤷
 
How did some of the people in the early Church get the title ā€œSaintā€ if there was no canonization process as we know it today?🤷 I would think the folks who attend St Wendelin Parish would be surprised to know their patron is not canonized!🤷
Popular acclaim.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top