J
Jessamy
Guest
Hello all. I’ve been lurking and occasionally posting around here for quite some time now, and I’ve kind of hit a stand still on my “search” for truth.
I come from an immediate family of atheists. My dad’s family are Catholics (though not especially devout ones) and my mom’s family are pretty much atheists as well. I have had very few discussions with my family regarding religion, but I grew up with the notion that it was nonsensical. This past summer I did quite a bit of reading, mostly starting with intellectual arguments for God’s existence. I found many quite convincing, to a degree I certainly hadn’t expected. I also listened to most of the New Testament as an audio book while working my very repetitive summer job.
My boyfriend is Catholic, so that has what’s led me here in particular. I’ve certainly learned a lot about Catholicism and I appreciate all the Catholic teachings that have made my boyfriend into the loving, selfless person that he is. He has been so helpful in encouraging me to keep asking questions without pushing. I find I agree with so many things Catholics teach on the moral level, and feel I could believe in many more if I truly believed in God’s existence.
But there’s the problem. How can one be convinced of God’s existence when everything in her upbringing tells her this a load of baloney? Where does faith come from if it isn’t gifted to you as a child? I’ve tried to pray a little but I feel mostly like I’m talking to myself.
I am not looking for intellectual arguments here; I’ve seen enough. I know the major ones and find them convincing, just not compellingly so. In any case, they don’t necessarily apply to the exact Christian concept of God. What I’d like to see are stories from people who’ve come the same way, if there are any here. How did you overcome doubts and prejudices about Christianity? How did you come to accept the Bible and Church as the real deal?
I know there will probably be some people who are not converts posting on this thread and trying to answer, and I’m okay with that, but please really think your comments through. It’s not enough to tell someone who has never been encouraged to believe that the Bible is true because the Catholic Church says so. I also tend to take things personally…. So be nice if at all possible….
Thanks for reading/responding.
I come from an immediate family of atheists. My dad’s family are Catholics (though not especially devout ones) and my mom’s family are pretty much atheists as well. I have had very few discussions with my family regarding religion, but I grew up with the notion that it was nonsensical. This past summer I did quite a bit of reading, mostly starting with intellectual arguments for God’s existence. I found many quite convincing, to a degree I certainly hadn’t expected. I also listened to most of the New Testament as an audio book while working my very repetitive summer job.
My boyfriend is Catholic, so that has what’s led me here in particular. I’ve certainly learned a lot about Catholicism and I appreciate all the Catholic teachings that have made my boyfriend into the loving, selfless person that he is. He has been so helpful in encouraging me to keep asking questions without pushing. I find I agree with so many things Catholics teach on the moral level, and feel I could believe in many more if I truly believed in God’s existence.
But there’s the problem. How can one be convinced of God’s existence when everything in her upbringing tells her this a load of baloney? Where does faith come from if it isn’t gifted to you as a child? I’ve tried to pray a little but I feel mostly like I’m talking to myself.
I am not looking for intellectual arguments here; I’ve seen enough. I know the major ones and find them convincing, just not compellingly so. In any case, they don’t necessarily apply to the exact Christian concept of God. What I’d like to see are stories from people who’ve come the same way, if there are any here. How did you overcome doubts and prejudices about Christianity? How did you come to accept the Bible and Church as the real deal?
I know there will probably be some people who are not converts posting on this thread and trying to answer, and I’m okay with that, but please really think your comments through. It’s not enough to tell someone who has never been encouraged to believe that the Bible is true because the Catholic Church says so. I also tend to take things personally…. So be nice if at all possible….
Thanks for reading/responding.