Any decent movies / tv shows?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter laircy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

laircy

Guest
Maybe I’m just watching the wrong things, but every time I see piece of entertainment, it’s either disgusting… or even children’s films are written with agendas. Tired of sex-obsessed movies for “my age group,” I went to the children’s section in hopes for something innocent and fun. I just started “The Croods” on Netflix and already they’re demonizing “rules” saying sarcastically “you should never try anything new or different!” which just really echoes many of the snarky anti-religious sentiments of today. So does anyone have any recommendations for a show or movie that actually has a moral value?
 
Stick with older books, movies, tv shows, i.e. the Classics.
 
Maybe I’m just watching the wrong things, but every time I see piece of entertainment, it’s either disgusting… or even children’s films are written with agendas. Tired of sex-obsessed movies for “my age group,” I went to the children’s section in hopes for something innocent and fun. I just started “The Croods” on Netflix and already they’re demonizing “rules” saying sarcastically “you should never try anything new or different!” which just really echoes many of the snarky anti-religious sentiments of today. So does anyone have any recommendations for a show or movie that actually has a moral value?
The newer version (2007) of Bridge to Terabithia. It’s awesome!

The author was involved in the film, and after the opening, she told my favorite actor, Robert Patrick, who plays the father in the film, that he “nailed it!”

Recently, Shawn Ryan (from my hometown!!) tweeted that he spent the Fourth of July watching his show, The Unit, and he called it “the most patriotic show ever done on TV.” I agree with him. There is definitely sinful behavior in the show (this is the Army!), but it’s not glorified, it’s condemned (especially in the last season–wow, the adulterer gets punished severely by his fellow soldiers!).

I think the show Family Matters, the one with Steve Urkel, had a lot of wonderful family and Christian values, plus it was really funny. It’s older (1990s), but not ancient.
 
The new Dinesh D’Souza movie is really good.
It is called America-Imagine what it would be without her.
I liked his first movie too but this one had a lot of history.
He is an immigrant from India and loves this country.
 
You have to look hard. I turned my tv off Jan 1st of this year for that reason.
 
My 19 son bought me the DVD of the Lego Movie to watch with him He and his friends at Uni had gone to see it. It is a good family movie which I enjoyed as I have the mental age of a ten year old. It is highly imaginative which keeps you guessing right up to the end. I would recommend this one.Another classic is going to be the new Madagascar penguin movie.
A lot of the Marvel movies are a lot of fun.
 
The BBC are doing Chesterton’s Fr. Brown mysteries. I think they’re on series 3 at the moment. It’s not on Netflix yet but certainly keep an eye out for it!
 
Maybe I’m just watching the wrong things, but every time I see piece of entertainment, it’s either disgusting… or even children’s films are written with agendas. Tired of sex-obsessed movies for “my age group,” I went to the children’s section in hopes for something innocent and fun. I just started “The Croods” on Netflix and already th
​
ey’re demonizing “rules” saying sarcastically “you should never try anything new or different!” which just really echoes many of the snarky anti-religious sentiments of today. So does anyone have any recommendations for a show or movie that actually has a moral value?
I agree, film is at an all time low. Nothing original, nothing wholesome. EWTN or baseball games for me. Sometimes I like Bernie Mac or Everybody loves Raymond as well. I second, The Lego movie was pretty good.
 
Maybe I’m just watching the wrong things, but every time I see piece of entertainment, it’s either disgusting… or even children’s films are written with agendas. Tired of sex-obsessed movies for “my age group,” I went to the children’s section in hopes for something innocent and fun. I just started “The Croods” on Netflix and already they’re demonizing “rules” saying sarcastically “you should never try anything new or different!” which just really echoes many of the snarky anti-religious sentiments of today. So does anyone have any recommendations for a show or movie that actually has a moral value?
The Sound of Music… sorry, I’m showing my age. I haven’t seen anything new that’s worth watching…
 
I like the oldies, like the old BBC detective dramas; Agatha Christie, Cadfael, Poirot. I loved the ‘Little House’ series and you can find all the classics on film. If you haven’t seen it; ‘Touched by an Angel’ and ‘Stairway to Heaven’ are gorgeous too. You might have to dig a bit but there’s lots out there. There’s a ‘Religious/Inspirational’ section on Netflix, too.
 
Just to add, almost alot of what we see on now is so violent, constant things blowing up, people with guns and bows, so much blood, etc. etc, etc. Or its over sexualized, constant sexual remarks, people not dressed modest, or a hidden sexual message.

I hope this thread keeps going… is there any modern show that is half way decent? And what about the oldies? Agatha Christie sounds interesting…
 
Maybe I’m just watching the wrong things, but every time I see piece of entertainment, it’s either disgusting… or even children’s films are written with agendas. Tired of sex-obsessed movies for “my age group,” I went to the children’s section in hopes for something innocent and fun. I just started “The Croods” on Netflix and already they’re demonizing “rules” saying sarcastically “you should never try anything new or different!” which just really echoes many of the snarky anti-religious sentiments of today. So does anyone have any recommendations for a show or movie that actually has a moral value?
We don’t get out to see many movies. $15.00/ticket is just too rich for my husband and my blood. I watched “Son of God” on the movie chanel and loved it. I also am currently watching “The Dome” a Stephen King serial and “Resurrection” (another serial), and I really like them both. Other than that, it’s basically “America’s Got Talent”, “The Red Green Show” and “Antiques Roadshow” I read a lot cause there’s just not much good on TV–especially this time of year. I’m 63 so I have no idea what’s out there for kids! (I’d love to see “Frozen” though–I hear it’s hilarious.👍
 
There are some good shows on Catholic TV (catholictv.com) (I like ‘Divine Intervention with Father Steve.’) and Salt and Light TV (saltandlighttv.org) (I enjoy watching the ‘Witness’ interviews). I actually prefer their programming to EWTN.

There’s a Irish film coming out called, Calvary coming out (at least in the US) in August.
Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=LGM5rq_vX4U

As for TV shows, I’ve heard good things about Star Trek, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Downton Abbey, Doctor Who…

I second The Lego Movie. Breaking Bad gets pretty intense, just to let you know, but it is well written and one can have a whole year or more worth of ethics classes on that show. 🙂
 
Haven’t read the replies, but Hallmark Channel has a series “When Calls the Heart” based on the Jeannette Oake books. It’s amazing. You can rent episodes at Amazon. The new season starts next May, I believe.
 
Pawn Stars,Duck Dynasty,Jeopardy are the only modern shows I watch.

As for old

Johnny Quest

Dick Van **** Show

Andy Griffith Show

Twilight Zone

Ray Bradbury Theater

What’s my Line?
 
Our cable lineup includes INSP, which shows 60s western series, which I like. They also show Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons…those are good. I also watch EWTN (I enjoy Johnette Benkovic’s show, Father Mitch Pacwa, some of the movies they show on Saturday/Sunday nights), Tiger baseball games, watch my local news in the morning and at 6, check on Fox News at some point during the day to see if there’s anything going on, once in awhile watch an old movie on TMC.

I have trouble finding “new” movies I can sit through. The last one I rented and enjoyed was “Saving Mr. Banks” about the woman who wrote Mary Poppins and how Disney persuaded her to let him make the movie. We also recently started watching the old “Centennial” series from Netflix…I think it came out in the late 70s perhaps…a bit dated, but a good story.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top