Any decent movies / tv shows?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter laircy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever seen Even Stevens? You should check it out, it sounds like what you’re looking for. It’s a family-friendly show, sort of old, went off the air about ten years ago. But I still enjoy watching it, even as an adult. It never gets old.

That show was entertaining, without being crude or pushing any agenda. I liked that both parents, even though they worked, were really involved with their kids lives. And neither one was incompetent either. The mom and dad worked together.

Plus, it has Shia Labeouf, before Transformers. All the actors in it are pretty solid, but he really makes the show.
 
AMEN TO THE KOREAN SHOWS!!!

My wife and I have watched about 100 different series on Hulu (free) in the “Korean” TV Genre. Korea is about 60 years behind us in morality on TV (and I mean that in a good way). The shows are really good (with English subtitles).

We’ve watched mostly the historical dramas, but for some contemporary shows you might want to watch “Bride of the Century”, which we just finished. BTW - for all the Korean shows, ignore the Hulu “summary” on the show web page - they dramatically understate the “depth” of the shows. Also, the first episode is usually confusing because of character similar names and unclear family relationships, but make it past the first episode and they get more clear. And on the historical dramas you need to “get past” the funny hairstyles and hats.

We’re currently watching “You’re Beautiful” and it is reminiscent of I Love Lucy but with a young romantic twist.

).
yay a kdrama fan. I’ve watched a lot of the ones you mentioned. One that was very popular recently was Man who came from the Stars. Oh it was so good and hillarious. I know a lot are available on Hulu but the sites are listed are almost exclusively kdrama and are free if you can tolerate ads once in a while. Another recent good one is Master’s Sun
I urge people that are looking for clean entertainment to give it a shot 🙂
 
Haha, I am having trouble finding good stuff on TV/radio too. 😉

My current “to-watch” list is

“Desire of Everlasting Hills” -new film about formerly gay people turning their life around + becoming Christians

“There Be Dragons” -movie about Saint Josemaria’s life + struggles

“Call the Midwife” -BBC series about midwives and nuns who work in the East End of London in the 1950’s

Good movies I’ve seen:

LES MISERABLES!!! -currently my absolute favorite movie, GREAT message about a prisoner who gets redemption through Jesus and lives a God-geared life. Warning: themes of sadness, death, prostitution, + general debauchery/drunkeness

“Song of Bernadette” - Life + story of St. Bernadette

That’s all I’ve got for now. 🙂
 
Maybe I’m just watching the wrong things, but every time I see piece of entertainment, it’s either disgusting… or even children’s films are written with agendas. Tired of sex-obsessed movies for “my age group,” I went to the children’s section in hopes for something innocent and fun. I just started “The Croods” on Netflix and already they’re demonizing “rules” saying sarcastically “you should never try anything new or different!” which just really echoes many of the snarky anti-religious sentiments of today. So does anyone have any recommendations for a show or movie that actually has a moral value?
There’s a reason I haven’t had cable in 12 years and rarely turn on the tv. Everytimes I turn on a show it’s either more brutal or vulgar then the last time. The only show I’ll watch is Big Bang Threory.
 
yay a kdrama fan. I’ve watched a lot of the ones you mentioned. One that was very popular recently was Man who came from the Stars. Oh it was so good and hillarious. I know a lot are available on Hulu but the sites are listed are almost exclusively kdrama and are free if you can tolerate ads once in a while. Another recent good one is Master’s Sun
I urge people that are looking for clean entertainment to give it a shot 🙂
I’ve noticed in the kdrama shows I’ve watched so far that quite often there are Catholics (nuns, priests, convents, churches, statues of Mary, etc) involved. Usually not part of the main plot, but at least Catholics are shown in a GOOD LIGHT. The only exception I can think of is a spy show where there were some North Korean (the bad guys) posing as nuns.

And in general, the “childlike innocence” portrayed by many of the good-guy characters is extremely refreshing.

The last US network shows I watched, or ever will watch were Lost season 1, and Alias. Even 25 years ago it was garbage. I remember surfing past the “ABC Family Channel” and it showed a couple of teens doing it in bed. And it’s gone downhill from there. What a disgrace. God help us, please.
 
I just remembered My Little Pony and watched an episode today. It’s pretty good, and has a surprisingly wide audience. It has moral lessons, like one I saw was about not being prideful. No questionable stuff (as far as I’ve seen, only a few episodes overall) since it’s really just about friendship and is meant for little girls. And yet it’s interesting, not so geared toward little kids that it has anything like learning how to count or read or any of that stuff.
Oh, if you’re interested in children’s shows, Green Lantern: The Animated Series was great. It’s about superheroes having space adventures, and has regular moral lessons without being too heavy handed or sacrificing good storytelling. The main plot is standard good vs evil fare, but the characters also have arcs, and they’re pretty complex for a children’s show. The characterization and general high quality really took me by surprise, so if a superhero show sounds interesting, you should check it out! It’s on netflix, if you’ve got that.

I wish I could help more. I’ve retreated back to 90s SF lately, and The X Files probably isn’t quite what you’re looking for. 😛

EDIT: Oh, and most people have seen Avatar: The Last Airbender these days, but if you haven’t, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Best American cartoon of its decade, no contest.
 
There’s a reason I haven’t had cable in 12 years and rarely turn on the tv. Everytimes I turn on a show it’s either more brutal or vulgar then the last time. The only show I’ll watch is Big Bang Threory.
This is a joke, right? I have tried to watch Big Bang Theory but it is very rotten. Maybe it’s true that all men try their hardest to get women into bed using every trick they can think of… but is that the right way to live? I find it makes too much of a mockery of the gift of sex and is not suitable for young adults, old adults or children. It is hiding the mockery in humor … Don’t fall for society’s idea of human relationships. We have to keep telling our children that God wants more from them. Watching shows like this just undermines God’s plan for us… MHO
 
This is a joke, right? I have tried to watch Big Bang Theory but it is very rotten. Maybe it’s true that all men try their hardest to get women into bed using every trick they can think of… but is that the right way to live? I find it makes too much of a mockery of the gift of sex and is not suitable for young adults, old adults or children. It is hiding the mockery in humor … Don’t fall for society’s idea of human relationships. We have to keep telling our children that God wants more from them. Watching shows like this just undermines God’s plan for us… MHO
Not a joke I actually enjoy the show and think it’s funny. I didn’t say it was the cleanist show by the way either only that’s it’s well written actually funny and never takes itself too seriously. Better than the other **** where people are gutting either or getting rapped, totally belittled or just terrible writing. Sorry it’s not your cup of tea but nothing says you have to watch it either. That’s why I get movies from the library and usually just watch those. 🤷
 
TV is in much better shape than film. In terms of serious dramas, here are those I’ve watched recently, all excellent (though not always family appropriate) and all from the twenty-first century:

LOST - superb beyond my ability to do justice to

Battlestar Galactica - astonishingly well-crafted drama with fascinating characters and impressive themes. It’s science fiction, obviously.

Breaking Bad - I think we’ve all heard of this one. Disillusioned high school chemistry teacher, who is an unsung genius, learns he has lung cancer (though he has never smoked a day in his life) and turns to manufacturing and selling crystal methamphetamine to provide for his family. Then his soul just goes waaaay downhill from there. I’m not finished with this one yet; I’m on the last season. Definitely not kid appropriate but a powerful and grueling drama well worth anyone’s attention.
Isn’t it interesting how we all have different standards for what is a “good” show?
Haha yes; I agree! 🙂
I find The Big Bang Theory horribly offensive and not funny at all. I hate the stereotypes of intelligent people, especially the character on the show who is so very effeminate (the actor is militantly homosexual in real life). My husband and I grew up as the “class brains,” and it was nothing like this show, and I despise any art piece that makes “brains” out to be weirdoes. We suffered enough from people who made fun ofus; my husband even had food thrown at him. He used to lie about his grades and report cards so that the other kids wouldn’t make fun of him.
Damn, I’m sorry. For what it’s worth, this really does illustrate what you said above: I’m definitely a nerd, and I enjoy that show. I’m not a genius like those characters or anything, but I always got good grades, I love learning, science fiction, role-playing, computer games, etc.

You’re definitely not alone in feeling that way, but for some reason I’ve never felt attacked or mocked by the series. It really does seem to me to be crafted with love for nerds everywhere! 😛
Earlier someone mentioned Everyone Loves Raymond as a decent show? Decent? Since when is it decent for a woman to castigate her husband and make him look like a fool? So many comedies (and tv commercials) have a plot in which the woman is obviously much smarter than her dumb-bunny husband, who manages to make a mess out of everything he does and always gets rescued by his well-organized, brilliant wife/girlfriend/mother. I HATE shows and commercials that do this to men!
Yet another example. I don’t really enjoy that show, but only because it seems kind of formulaic and uninteresting to me. I don’t mind the bumbling husband character archetype, though. And I’m a man myself.
Finally, I find any of the “violent” shows utterly unacceptable for me. I can’t understand why anyone would want to watch the CSI shows that delve into all kinds of grisly “death methods.” This would eat into my soul and make me gloomy and despairing, as well as terrified that a murderer is waiting for me.
I hear you there. I’m watching Breaking Bad now anyway, even though it’s so horrific in many ways. It’s just too well-crafted and beautifully executed to pass up, but it is definitely hard to watch.
All this being said, I think that we need to be careful not to be so high and mighty that we routinely do a blanket condemnation of “EVERYTHING” on TV and in the films. There are a lot of good shows and films, and even the shows that I personally don’t find acceptable, others find much good in, and I’ll go along with that!
Aye! 🙂
This is a joke, right? I have tried to watch Big Bang Theory but it is very rotten. Maybe it’s true that all men try their hardest to get women into bed using every trick they can think of… but is that the right way to live? I find it makes too much of a mockery of the gift of sex and is not suitable for young adults, old adults or children. It is hiding the mockery in humor … Don’t fall for society’s idea of human relationships. We have to keep telling our children that God wants more from them. Watching shows like this just undermines God’s plan for us… MHO
Look more carefully. You have to exercise more nuance than that in your interpretation, because those male characters constantly look ridiculous (at best) or humiliate themselves and seem terrible (at worst) when they behave that way.

Each character, as the series has progressed, has moved steadily away from that behavior pattern and into greater maturity. Howard, once the most shameless womanizer in the bunch, has been happily married for several seasons now.
 
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arcadia

My late mother LOVED the short lived but much honored show “Joan of Arcadia” … the premise of which had a young high school girl “meeting God” as he appeared to her in various “incarnations” giving her tasks to do as his representative. Wikipedia summarizes the show as follows:
Joan of Arcadia is an American television fantasy/family drama telling the story of teenager Joan Girardi (played by Amber Tamblyn), who sees and speaks with God and performs tasks she is given. The series originally aired on Fridays, 8–9 p.m. on CBS and CTV for two seasons, from September 26, 2003 to April 22, 2005.
On initial release, the show was praised by critics and won the prestigious Humanitas Prize and the People’s Choice Award. It became one of the few television shows to be nominated for an Emmy Award in its first season for Outstanding Drama Series. The title alludes to Joan of Arc and the show takes place in the city of Arcadia, Maryland.
http://i1.sell.com/5/193/356173/54/252/3562092-l.jpg

The theology that might be discerned from the episodes might not square without a warning or further explanation from Catholic teaching … as “God” does things in the show
in ways unusual … though God HAS spoken to and appeared to people before in Catholic tradition and in the Bible.

For wholesome entertainment and perhaps a nudge toward the audience considering how God is always here asking US to do things, guiding us, wanting us to love our neighbors or carry a cross - I’d recommend the show (with the previous caveat 😉 ).
 
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arcadia

My late mother LOVED the short lived but much honored show “Joan of Arcadia” … the premise of which had a young high school girl “meeting God” as he appeared to her in various “incarnations” giving her tasks to do as his representative. Wikipedia summarizes the show as follows:

http://i1.sell.com/5/193/356173/54/252/3562092-l.jpg

The theology that might be discerned from the episodes might not square without a warning or further explanation from Catholic teaching … as “God” does things in the show
in ways unusual … though God HAS spoken to and appeared to people before in Catholic tradition and in the Bible.

For wholesome entertainment and perhaps a nudge toward the audience considering how God is always here asking US to do things, guiding us, wanting us to love our neighbors or carry a cross - I’d recommend the show (with the previous caveat 😉 ).
Another show that a lot of religious people enjoyed (and non-religious people, too!) was Touched by an Angel. I believe that the actress on the show is currently involved filming very well-written movies about the Bible that are actually successful.
 
We’re currently in a ‘golden age’ of magic on TV, with more good family-friendly magic shows than ever before: there’s ‘America’s Got Talent’ (at least two good magic acts have gotten through to the finals this year) and “The Carbonaro Effect” on TruTV. On The CW (ordinarily a sleazy channel geared towards teens), there are TWO new magic shows: “Penn and Teller’s Fool Us” and “Master of Illusions.”

I really like “The Carbonaro Effect” the best - it’s like “Candid Camera” mixed with David Copperfield - you can watch whole episodes on the TruTV web site. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top