Any good bible verses for my girlfriend

  • Thread starter Thread starter nperks2004
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhmmm…I encourage you to give this relationship more time. If you truly love her and seek a happy marriage, you will. Just as relationships take time to build, so also does faith. Pray for her and give both herself and yourself time to grow in both faith and love 👍

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius:cool:
 
Catholics have no business dating non-Catholics? A little charity please? As a non-Catholic becoming Catholic I beg to differ. It is that kind of hostile (and un-Christian) attitude that paints a sad picture of the church.

I used to be a really luke warm Anglican dating a very devout catholic girl. After the first month of us being together, she spent a few days in constant tears because of this sort of talk. Her parents were very very very strongly opposed to the fact that we were dating, and frankly, i was afraid that my legs would be broken. This actually impeded my journey for a long while, because i figured all catholics were this hostile and judgmental of people not in their religion. A good example was at mass i hated communion time because then everyone knew i wasnt catholic, and i felt very alone and rejected, all because of my initial interactions.

Dating does not mean that marriage will follow. I agree that without the intention of marriage (after 3 or 4 months, assuming no “illicit” things have happened) that it is pointless to go on with the relationship. It’s a waste of time because that real person is out there waiting for you. My GF got through the trials and persecution at home and we are still together after 2 years.

I am in RCIA. I feel stronger in my faith than ever. I am grateful that my GF brought me home. None of them forced anything on me, challenged me to anything, made me read books, or debated me openly at the dinner table. Nothing like that. They just took me to church and eventually having been with Jesus every sunday i had absorbed enough divine radiation that i just couldnt resist anymore.

So, to the OP, apologize to your woman, give her a hug, and promise to let her do things on her own. Don’t let the extremists on this board phase you, life unfortunately is not ideal for everybody. Pray for her, but set her free for now. Invite her to mass with you, and you go to her service. Let God take care of this…

-revelations
 
Catholics have no business dating non-Catholics? A little charity please? As a non-Catholic becoming Catholic I beg to differ. It is that kind of hostile (and un-Christian) attitude that paints a sad picture of the church.
-revelations
Thank you for your post. We are called to be salt and light.
Mixed marriages can have difficulties that are painful.

Does anyone recall why Fatima Portugal is named Fatima? A Catholic knight encountered a Muslim woman named Fatima and ended up marrying her. The town is named after her. It is also the name of one of Mohameds daughters. Does anyone think there might be a connection between why Mary chose this place to appear?

If the OP is a little patient God will lead him in this relationship, either to marriage or a gentle goodbye. Saying things like Catholics have no business dating non-Catholics is not only offensive to you, but many people. My wife converted after a couple of years of marriage, of her own accord. We are happily married for 33 years. I had nothing to do with her conversion. In my small parish we recently had another similar story. I know many.
 
Thank you for your post. We are called to be salt and light.
Mixed marriages can have difficulties that are painful.

Does anyone recall why Fatima Portugal is named Fatima? A Catholic knight encountered a Muslim woman named Fatima and ended up marrying her. The town is named after her. It is also the name of one of Mohameds daughters. Does anyone think there might be a connection between why Mary chose this place to appear?

If the OP is a little patient God will lead him in this relationship, either to marriage or a gentle goodbye. Saying things like Catholics have no business dating non-Catholics is not only offensive to you, but many people. My wife converted after a couple of years of marriage, of her own accord. We are happily married for 33 years. I had nothing to do with her conversion. In my small parish we recently had another similar story. I know many.
Right on! Always let love be at the center- then you won’t have a problem-forced conversions are no conversions at all. If A conversion doesn’t come from the heart it is useless and damaging. If you guys OP(not grandfather!!) get married I do have a quote for you “Be fruitful and multiply”!!!😃 😛
 
This is my first thread posting. My girlfriend (23)and i(24) have been dating for about 6months now and we are talking about getting married. (6 months is normal in my family) I am a devout Catholic and i will not convert to any other religion. She is a evangelical protestant. I told her that i would convert if she could prove something was wrong with my Faith. Like wise she said she would convert if could prove her wrong on faith. Well i won. Now she is holding back. There are so many issues now.
  1. Her mom was at one time Catholic. (her reason for leaving the faith was she had bad experiances with the nuns when she was in school.
  2. Her father comes from a very strong protestant family
  3. She just signed up for classes that had to do with spiritual counceling. The college is ran by Church of the United Brethren in Christ, USA .
  4. There is a Catholic university in town that she could have enrolled in
  5. Now it seems everytime i talk to her about religion she gets mad.
  6. She is a youth minister at her church.
  7. She says she feels like she is to deep in her church and it would be so hard for her to leave now.

    She is a very great girlfriend and i dont want to break up with her. She has conceided on many of her beliefs and i feel like i would just be giving up on her now. I have been saying the Rosary, Novenas, Mass and there are still promising signs. She said she has not desided yet. But I am up for all the advice in the world. I also wanted to know if there were any bible verses that might ease her pain of leaving her friends and her church. Thank you and God Bless!
Instead of quoting scripture and make it sound like a competition of religions between the both of you, you need to take the initiative to go see the priest at your parish and discuss all of this with him. Don’t put it off. Many marriages can be successful if both parties exercise religious tolerance. Again, go talk with your priest. He’s the best resource for this.
 
Catholics have no business dating non-Catholics? A little charity please? As a non-Catholic becoming Catholic I beg to differ. It is that kind of hostile (and un-Christian) attitude that paints a sad picture of the church.
Thank you for your uplifting testimony, and I agree that hostile attitudes, which is contrary to Church teaching as I posted above, paints a sad picture for the Church. My statement was aimed at Catholics who should have a preference for dating Catholics, because the OP is Catholic. It was in no way intended to mean absolute exclusion, but to prevent the agony of divorce, because a majority of mixed marriages end up in divorce. Why take a chance falling in love with a non-Catholic? *The spouses risk experiencing the tragedy of Christian disunity even in the heart of their own home. *Obviously, that is not you. (see my quote above, green text) Words cannot express the suffering my ex-wife and I endured, so please forgive my bias.

The non-Catholic or unbelieving spouse is saved by the merits of the believing spouse, because they are one flesh, and one spirit, and the graces of Matrimony can work in mysterious ways. I am sorry my statement appeared to negate your experience, and I am happy that things have turned out well for you. Catholics need to be more educated about mixed marriages so that hostilities are minimized, and the priest isn’t reduced to a referee. Most Catholics I know never heard of a co-officiating ceremony, where the bishop approves a Catholic wedding in a Protestant Church, co-officiated by minister and priest.

But we are a royal priesthood, a people set apart, and its the Catholic Church that struggles for unity more than any church or community or bless-me-club on the planet. Most of the time, not all the time, ecumenical good feelings ultimately don’t work inside a home, so Catholics have no business asking for trouble, no business **dating **non-Catholics, that is not reference to engagement or marriage or family prejudices. My statement stands.

Lastly, Catholic teaching of Matrimony is what helped convert Scott Hahn. HE FOUND OUT IT’S NOT THE SAME.
 
As an Evangelical Christian (thank you very much) I find it quite interesting that many of you make assumptions about her heart because she is not of the Catholic Church. I might remind you all that scriptures say nothing of Baptists, Catholics, Methodists etc. Whats in the name of the church? Faith is a deeply personal affair and is about your relationship with your one true Father and Creator and less so about a specific church. **Truth in its purest form is found in the words of scripture, the words of the Father. **

I am not in favor of a break up necessarily but i would strongly advise holding off on marriage and I would strongly consider breaking up. Matters in relationships should not be about I’m right you are wrong, especially in regards to faith.

Lastly I would love to hear of how you won…
 
I suggest you and her both check out the book “Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic” by David B. Currie (Igantius Press). Aside from being an excellent bit of apologetics, it is basically him writing to his friends and extended family explaining why he decided to be Catholic, and how he came to understand the Truth of Catholicism. He discusses the issues of having to leave a Church you are very entrenched in (he did all sorts of ministry and pastoral work in his Evangeical church, and was even on its board). He also discusses how his wife and children, although initially upset by his conversion, eventually reconciled themselves to the Church along with him.

It seems like he has gone through many of the things both you and your girlfriend are going through, so i think the book would be an excellent read for both of you.

Good luck 🙂
  • Andrew
But then again there are stories of Catholic priest leaving to serve as priest in the Eastern Orthodox church. So what in the case a Orthodox boy wants to marry Catholic girl ? Orthodox Boy may try and persuade her to convert and may have differences in the doctrine of purgatory and pray to/for the dead and the ortho/cath differences in that. Is it better than to not inter marry?
 
This is my first thread posting. My girlfriend (23)and i(24) have been dating for about 6months now and we are talking about getting married. (6 months is normal in my family) I am a devout Catholic and i will not convert to any other religion. She is a evangelical protestant. I told her that i would convert if she could prove something was wrong with my Faith. Like wise she said she would convert if could prove her wrong on faith. Well i won. Now she is holding back. There are so many issues now.
  1. Her mom was at one time Catholic. (her reason for leaving the faith was she had bad experiances with the nuns when she was in school.
  2. Her father comes from a very strong protestant family
  3. She just signed up for classes that had to do with spiritual counceling. The college is ran by Church of the United Brethren in Christ, USA .
  4. There is a Catholic university in town that she could have enrolled in
  5. Now it seems everytime i talk to her about religion she gets mad.
  6. She is a youth minister at her church.
  7. She says she feels like she is to deep in her church and it would be so hard for her to leave now.

    She is a very great girlfriend and i dont want to break up with her. She has conceided on many of her beliefs and i feel like i would just be giving up on her now. I have been saying the Rosary, Novenas, Mass and there are still promising signs. She said she has not desided yet. But I am up for all the advice in the world. I also wanted to know if there were any bible verses that might ease her pain of leaving her friends and her church. Thank you and God Bless!
If either of you must cut off ties with their family then you both are dating the wrong person.

I suggest you both study throught the book of Romans together. If you can not agree on its meaning, move on and stay friends.
 
This is my first thread posting. My girlfriend (23)and i(24) have been dating for about 6months now and we are talking about getting married. (6 months is normal in my family) I am a devout Catholic and i will not convert to any other religion. She is a evangelical protestant. I told her that i would convert if she could prove something was wrong with my Faith. Like wise she said she would convert if could prove her wrong on faith. Well i won. Now she is holding back. There are so many issues now.
  1. Her mom was at one time Catholic. (her reason for leaving the faith was she had bad experiances with the nuns when she was in school.
  2. Her father comes from a very strong protestant family
  3. She just signed up for classes that had to do with spiritual counceling. The college is ran by Church of the United Brethren in Christ, USA .
  4. There is a Catholic university in town that she could have enrolled in
  5. Now it seems everytime i talk to her about religion she gets mad.
  6. She is a youth minister at her church.
  7. She says she feels like she is to deep in her church and it would be so hard for her to leave now.

    She is a very great girlfriend and i dont want to break up with her. She has conceided on many of her beliefs and i feel like i would just be giving up on her now. I have been saying the Rosary, Novenas, Mass and there are still promising signs. She said she has not desided yet. But I am up for all the advice in the world. I also wanted to know if there were any bible verses that might ease her pain of leaving her friends and her church. Thank you and God Bless!
Hello to both of you.
I am male, 46 yrs, and am neither a Catholic or a protestant.

I would like to assist you both. As you can see I would have an unbiased approach with religion beliefs.

Before I do, I must be very up front. You stated that you proved her wrong in her beliefs and you won! No you have lost to date. It reads like your own pride is in the way of loving your girlfriend.

You also contradict yourself when you said " I am a devout Catholic and i will not convert to any other religion". Right here you are not open minded to what she has to say about her beliefs. Then 2 lines later you say…" I told her that i would convert if she could prove something was wrong with my Faith."

I suggest that whenever you talk together, that you pray and ask for the holy spirit, to open your mind and heart and ask for the truth of what God wants for you both.

In saying that, if you want me to assist, please provide me with the major differences, or issues in the beliefs of you both.

Thanks be to God.
craig
 
Frankly, you are not yet ready to get married for more reasons than a difference in religions.

Problem 1: Even though you have absolutely no intention of ever converting to another religion, you told her you would “if she could prove something was wrong” with our faith. This was based on a lie to begin with and you knew it, apparently saying it only to manipulate her into doing what you wanted. Apparently she did the same. You need to learn some healthier ways to communicate. Game playing like this is counterproductive, as you are finding out, and only creates more issues.

Problem 2: “I won”. The minute you start framing issues between the two of you in terms of “winning” and “losing”, you create more problems than you can solve by “winning”. See above about healthy ways to communicate. A healthy marriage is not a competition to see who can get the most things their own way. Marriage is a partnership and a lifelong series of compromises.
Agreed. Conversion is not a game to won and treating something this serious as some sort of contest shows a)maturity is not where it should be and b) respect for each other is not where it should be.

You are not ready for marriage yet.
 
=nperks2004;3148358]This is my first thread posting. My girlfriend (23)and i(24) have been dating for about 6months now and we are talking about getting married. (6 months is normal in my family) I am a devout Catholic and i will not convert to any other religion. She is a evangelical protestant. I told her that i would convert if she could prove something was wrong with my Faith. Like wise she said she would convert if could prove her wrong on faith. Well i won. Now she is holding back. There are so many issues now.
  1. Her mom was at one time Catholic. (her reason for leaving the faith was she had bad experiances with the nuns when she was in school.
  2. Her father comes from a very strong protestant family
  3. She just signed up for classes that had to do with spiritual counceling. The college is ran by Church of the United Brethren in Christ, USA .
  4. There is a Catholic university in town that she could have enrolled in
  5. Now it seems everytime i talk to her about religion she gets mad.
  6. She is a youth minister at her church.
  7. She says she feels like she is to deep in her church and it would be so hard for her to leave now.
Code:
   She is a very great girlfriend and i dont want to break up with her.  She has conceided on many of her beliefs and i feel like i would just be giving up on her now.  I have been saying the Rosary, Novenas, Mass and there are still promising signs.  She said she has not desided yet.  But I am up for all the advice in the world.  I also wanted to know if there were any bible verses that might ease her pain of leaving her friends and her church.  Thank you and God Bless!
Advise from a life long IPRC [informed, practicing Roman Catholic] Grandpa…

DO NOT get married without resolving these issues before hand
  1. Catholic Position on Sex being “open to life” issues
  2. Raising your children as Catholics [mandatoy agrement] but given her position this could be highly problematic.
What is Her understanding of the Bible?

There are many verses I can share and direction I can give, but it’s only valid IFshe understands that the Bible is the Inspired Words of her God. [2 Tim/3:16-17]

Also what are her “specific issues” with the CC?

Answer these for me and we’ll go from there.

Love and prayers,
Pat
 
Folks, this is a two-year old thread…I don’t think the OP is going to be reading or responding…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top