• Thread starter Thread starter CARose
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CARose

JMJT

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anyone here in OCDS? I’m an aspirant, participating in a study group in Reno and thought it would be nice to see if anyone else from my family in Carmel is on the forum.

May the Peace of Christ be with you,

CARose

Hi 👋,

Aren’t you going to tell us what OCDS is. There’s at least two of us who don’t know as of this posting. (2 votes so far)

Yes, my wife is fully professed and I’ve made my first promise, and will be fully professed by this time next year. We are starting a new study group in Tampa FL with 10 members. We will be having our 3rd meeting on July 9th, please pray for us.

ILeo

40.png
Joanna:
Hi 👋,

Aren’t you going to tell us what OCDS is. There’s at least two of us who don’t know as of this posting. (2 votes so far)
OCDS, stands for Order Carmelites Discaliced Secular, which is Spanish for Secular Discaliced Carmelites, We study the teachings of St. John of the Cross, St Therese of Lisieux, and our founder St. Terese of Avila. One does not “join” a group but will find one if you have a “vocation”. I could go on for hours but this is the short answer.

Leo

On my second year of temporary promises. Need much prayers.

😃 My mother is an OCDS member. I like the spirituality of the Carmelites…🙂 you can probably post in some of those beautiful quotes from the great mystics. or start a blog on it ! keep it on. god bless.

Not a Carmelite*, but discalced in the summer time (often in the winter time too 😛 )

(* Secular Franciscan, though)

You suggested poetry

How about this one…

**A Prayer of Thanks to **
**Our Holy Father **
Pope John Paul II

**On the occasion of **
**The 25th Anniversary **
of his Pontificate

Thank you God, our Father,
for casting a Light so bright
that Your Truth is foreshadowed thru the ages.

Thank you Christ, our King,
for fulfilling the prophesies,
that we might come to know our Father.

Thank you Holy Spirit,
paraclete for the ages,
for providing a compass so true.

Thank you, Blessed Mother,
for giving us the body of Christ,
for teaching me to pray, and
for defending the Church,
your most precious offspring,
the Eternal Body of Christ, our Lord.

Thank you, Holy Father,
for accepting the keys of Peter,
that you might serve the household of our Lord.

… cont…

continued …

Thank you, all the faithful members of the Church,
for two thousand years of inspired care
given to the Word,
the Truth unchanged through the ages.

Thank you, for the teachers,

who have shared the 10 Commandments,

that I might learn to Love the Lord my God,

with all my heart,

with all my soul and

with all my mind.

Thank you for the seven Sacraments,

that I might participate in God’s covenant,

made present thru the ages.

Thank you for helping me to know my eternal Family,

all the angels and saints,

who join me in proclaiming the Glory of God,

and to whom I turn in time of need.

Their example is an inspiration,

their assistance a blessing.

Thank you for Cannon Law

that we might know justice.

…cont…

continued …

Thank you for teaching me to suffer,
that I might be resurrected through Christ.

Thank you for all that you have collected
and protected through the ages,
that I might be inspired by the art and words

of those who have walked this path before me.

I am also an OCDS. I just got my scapular this past month and will start my formation/novitiate. If you want more information please go to a search engine and type “OCDS” and you will get alot of internet sites to get more information. I had just typed a whole description of the OCDS, but I apparently took to long that I lost my connection to this forum and my original reply did not get posted. So I need to make this shorter. It is a great way to get closer to Jesus through prayer and spiritual reading. We will be covering the writings of St. Teresa of Avila, foundress; St. John of the Cross; and St. Therese of Liseaux. They are all great writers and their methods of prayer have been an inspiration to many over the last 400 or so years. God’s blessings to all of you, and may your spirtual journey take you closer to Christ! Joe

I forgot to add, that when we got our scapulars, Father Paul who is our spirtual director told us that the scapulars that we get are actually made from material that is left over from the making of the habits for the religious and priests in the order. So, we actually get the real material that they do. It makes me feel more of a part of the order. The scapular that we get, is one that is not worn all the time, like the small ones that you purchase in religious stores. The front and back panels are almost the size of 3/4 of a sheet of paper and the straps over the shoulders are about 2 inches wide. We wear them at our meetings and at Carmelite feast days when we attend Mass. We are also to wear a smaller brown scapular or scapular medal all the time. Thanks for reading this wordy message. God bless!! Joe

At our study group, wearing the ceremonial scapular is discouraged, except at a specifically OCDS ceremony. I went to the OCDS Western Province Congress a couple of weeks ago, and the Formation Director and others who are fully professed from our group did NOT wear their ceremonial scapulars.

As it was explained to me, OCDS are meant to be quiet in their ministry, not flaunting their affiliation.

I enrolled myself and my CCD class (those who chose to participate) in the Order of the Brown Scapular a year ago May, before I even knew OCDS existed. So, while I have not moved past the apostolate phase, I wear the smaller scapular under my clothing every day.

My daughter was also enrolled in the Order of the Brown Scapular, although she is not willing to commit to wearing her scapular daily and I don’t push it. She does, however, say at least 3 Hail Mary’s on a nearly daily basis. I’m quite grateful to Mary for the interest she’s taken in my daughter.

Don’t you love Carmel! I’ve been learning so much.

CARose

CARose,

If you are inrolled in the scapular- that is the OCDS scapular then you are are starting your formation, that is you have been going to meetings for 6 months to 1 year and went thru the clothing ceremony (we say clothed in the scapular). You are a member of OCDS, the OCDS habit is the scapular and you should wear it at any OCDS function. You are also required to wear a small scapular or medal all the time again this is your habit. You are a member of the Carmelite order according to your state of life.

Welcome aboard the journey will be eventful, but the retirement plan is out of this world.

Actually,

I enrolled in the Order of the Brown Scapular before I even knew OCDS existed. The Holy Spirit led me to the Brown Scapular, saying Liturgy of the Hours, Devotion for Mary, Joseph and St. Theresa Liseux and great respect and obedience to the authority of the Magisterium before I even knew OCDS existed.

I’ve been attending study group since October, but with the new Constitution, and my application having gotten lost in the mail (it took me a couple of months to submit my application, as I went to Rome for the Beatification of Mother Theresa), our Formation Director is requiring me to wait for 1 year from the receipt and processing of my application. It’s not my preference to wait, but this has all happened so fast, I can’t really argue with the wisdom of slowing down. But I am 100% convinced that this is something Divine in which I have been called to participate. So, I know my answer, now I need to learn to walk the walk. I’ve got the remainder of my life to enjoy Carmel, but can I step up to the challenge? With God’s Grace anythings possible! :yup:

Thanks for you words of welcome! The more I learn, the more I know I’m home. I felt as though I’d been given a small taste of Heaven on Earth when I attended the OCDS Congress. I met some great people and had the opportunity to become better acquainted with the people in my study group (I live an hours drive away, so I don’t see them much outside our meetings).

CARose

40.png
CARose:
Actually,

I enrolled in the Order of the Brown Scapular before I even knew OCDS existed. The Holy Spirit led me to the Brown Scapular, saying Liturgy of the Hours, Devotion for Mary, Joseph and St. Theresa Liseux and great respect and obedience to the authority of the Magisterium before I even knew OCDS existed.

I’ve been attending study group since October, but with the new Constitution, and my application having gotten lost in the mail (it took me a couple of months to submit my application, as I went to Rome for the Beatification of Mother Theresa), our Formation Director is requiring me to wait for 1 year from the receipt and processing of my application. It’s not my preference to wait, but this has all happened so fast, I can’t really argue with the wisdom of slowing down. But I am 100% convinced that this is something Divine in which I have been called to participate. So, I know my answer, now I need to learn to walk the walk. I’ve got the remainder of my life to enjoy Carmel, but can I step up to the challenge? With God’s Grace anythings possible! :yup:

Thanks for you words of welcome! The more I learn, the more I know I’m home. I felt as though I’d been given a small taste of Heaven on Earth when I attended the OCDS Congress. I met some great people and had the opportunity to become better acquainted with the people in my study group (I live an hours drive away, so I don’t see them much outside our meetings).

CARose
I think that you will make an excellent addition to the OCDS community in your area. You already have a great foundation and will only enhance that as you grow in Carmelite spirituality. You will be a great role model for others who wish to join the secular order. Thanks for doing what you are doing and there are many great blessings waiting for you! God Bless and welcome, Joe

Garsh, thanks! :o

I know I’m loving it, and I’m thrilled to be honored by His call.

I just need to learn to do it, more than talk it.

CARose

40.png
CARose:
Garsh, thanks! :o

I know I’m loving it, and I’m thrilled to be honored by His call.

I just need to learn to do it, more than talk it.

CARose
YOU GO GIRL!!! I wanted to let you also know that I got an email from my OCDS president and she stated that we are to fast the day before any major feast day of the order. This friday, July 16th is the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. We are therefore to fast on thursday for friday’s feast day. At our mass on that day, one of the OCD brothers is going to make his first vows and we as members of the order are invited to attend. We should wear our brown scapulars to this service. We are there to show our support of him and to attend the Mass of Our Lady. Oh what a beautiful day to make his vows! I got clothed with the scapular on June 19th, which is the feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, also a wonderful day. There is so much to remember, but I will hopefully do better once I am more versed in the order. Have a great day and a great feast day! The Archbishop of Bagdad will also be saying Mass on thursday the 15th. as he is visiting from Iraq, and we as members of the order are also invited to attend Mass on that day. I happen to be off this thursday and friday, so you know where I will be on those two days. We do not have to wear our Brown scapular on thursday, but it is required on the friday service. Joe (OCDS member, Holy Hill Chapter, Hubertus, WI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back