Anyone else uneasy about annulments?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GraceDK
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the problem is also pretty serious in Europe, however the numbers are crazy in America compared to everywhere else in the world…
I’m curious as to what happens to Catholics in Europe when they divorce. Do they remain single for the rest of their lives? Do they remarry and leave the Church? Or something else?
 
I want to bring up a small point with regard to annullments in the US vs Europe. I’m just going to use Italy as an exple since I have a personal connection there. Italy has a Catholic cultural identity. What I mean is that even if an Italian Catholic isn’t devout at all, they will likely marry in the Church because it’s a part of their culture. The US does not have a Catholic cultural identity on the whole. So a lapsed or nominal Catholic, even though they are required to marry in the Church (or with dispensation for another location) often will not. They will marry in a random nondenominational church, or in a park, or at the beach, etc. Those marriages are not valid and when they don’t work out, and one party decides to return to the Church, they can typically get a decree of nullity based on defect of form.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top