AP: In big states, tiny counties, Trump attacking voting rules

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulinVA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve encountered a number of stories in which the Trump campaign is interacting with elections through lawsuits. This is an unusually active and direct strategy.

And the democrats haven’t been trying to influence voter rules over the past 20 years?

This argument seems to be about whether or not the GOP can have poll watchers at places where mail in ballots are counted. Poll watchers are essential to fair elections and have been a longstanding practice.

This argument seems to be about whether or not the GOP can have poll watchers at places where mail in ballots are counted.
There have been some unusual actions done in the name of “poll watching” this past year. In an extreme case, a person armed with a gun would approach people he thought looked Mexican that had parked at a voting location and ask to see proof of citizenship before they went into the building to vote. In another, a lady wanted to watch people fill out their absentee ballots and turn them in.

Poll watchers are essential to fair elections and have been a longstanding practice.
They are? How long did Republicans whine about supposedly influential Panthers poll-watching in Philly in 2008?

If the Republicans present such a great alternative, shouldn’t they try to use this to garner more support instead of trying to restrict the vote? The GOP efforts to keep down the numbers seem particularly un-American.

There have been some unusual actions done in the name of “poll watching” this past year. In an extreme case, a person armed with a gun would approach people he thought looked Mexican that had parked at a voting location and ask to see proof of citizenship before they went into the building to vote. In another, a lady wanted to watch people fill out their absentee ballots and turn them in.
Sometimes when chaos is engendered, it’s difficult to control it fully. But if some have reacted with wrongful acts (and I don’t much doubt some have) that does not make it right to prevent either party from observing the process and challenging votes if they feel they’re irregular. Back in the day, I served as a Democrat poll watcher and there are sometimes spoiled or otherwise irregular or doubtfully legal ballots. There was always a Republican poll watcher there. We were friendly, but we watched the ballots and each other to make sure it was honest.

Are we talking about poll watchers or volunteer militia intimidation?

If the election authorities refused to assign poll watchers, political parties are going to want to do it anyway, and there is always the hazard of unauthorized volunteers if it’s known that nobody from the parties is paying any attention to the ballots.

If the election authorities refused to assign poll watchers, political parties are going to want to do it anyway, and there is always the hazard of unauthorized volunteers if it’s known that nobody from the parties is paying any attention to the ballots.
Each voting location is full of elections officials. Not sure what you mean.

Each voting location is full of elections officials. Not sure what you mean.
Then are you saying the article is a hoax? There really are representatives of both parties examining the mail-in ballots?

Then are you saying the article is a hoax? There really are representatives of both parties examining the mail-in ballots?
Sometimes I seriously wonder what you’re trying to say. What does this mean?

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

I know they are wanting to do away with verifying signatures on mail in ballots and we already know they have been successful in voter ID being banned in some places.

I think our election process needs a complete overhaul
to ensure fair and honest elections.

They are? How long did Republicans whine about supposedly influential Panthers poll-watching in Philly in 2008?
They whined so much, I thought about sending a case of crackers and cheese to both the House and the Senate.

I can imagine if neonazis were poll watching in Philly you would be outraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back