L
LaurenGetty
Guest
Hello Mike, I did understand that to be your signature.The words you take offense at are in my signature, which gets included in every post I make.
Hello Mike, I did understand that to be your signature.The words you take offense at are in my signature, which gets included in every post I make.
I think Archbishop Fulton Sheen’s quote is notable here: People aren’t so much opposed to what the Catholic Church believes as they are to what they think the Catholic Church believes!Albert Mohler, President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, preached a series of sermons over a period of some 15 months at the seminary chapel, each sermon covering a line of the Apostles Creed. For a man who refers to the Catholic Church as “a false church” that “teaches a false gospel”, Mohler exhibits an amazing range of Catholic beliefs. For one thing, taking on the Apostles Creed as a series of sermons at the largest Baptist seminary in the world is pretty remarkable. He embraces every word of the Creed, even the part about the “holy catholic (not Catholic) church.” Of course his take on this pertains to the universality of the church but in doing so he makes a pretty good case for the “holy Catholic Church.” He also holds the wierd belief that Mary is the New Eve. Mohler is a gifted preacher and an intellectual giant, every bit the equivalent of Scott Hahn, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him convert just as Hahn did. I don’t expect it but it wouldn’t surprise me. His sermons are available for listening on his blog and I will share the site with anyone who wants to PM me.
Isn’t that the truth?I think Archbishop Fulton Sheen’s quote is notable here: People aren’t so much opposed to what the Catholic Church believes as they are to what they think the Catholic Church believes!
There is no such thing as “the Roman creed”, so you’re quite mistaken.Every Church I’ve ever attended has recite “the holy catholic church”
I believe it is the Roman creed that omits the word “catholic” and possibly other creeds.
under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered, died, and was buried.
to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.
he is worshiped and glorified.
and apostolic Church**.
for the forgiveness of sins.
But not in all Protestant communities, as we have seen.But the Apostle’s Creed contains the word “catholic” and is recited as such in all Protestant churches I have attended.
Says who?Protestants don’t have a problem with it because there is only one church - the body of believers.
Google it.There is no such thing as “the Roman creed”, so you’re quite mistaken.
I said all that I have attended. I did not say I have attended all Protestant churches.If I produce a Protestant community which does have a problem with the Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed referring to the “holy catholic” church, what would you say?
I did and you are indeed correct: there was an Old Roman Creed:Google it.
I don’t see the three questions.The Old Roman Creed. This creed developed about A.D. 200. It supposedly came from the Apostles themselves. From three questions, this creed expanded to thirteen positive statements all affirming the deity and lordship of Christ.
Only if you can show me where Protestants received the Old Roman Creed in 1520 rather than the Nicene Creed. Or that Protestants do not today use the Nicene Creed.Totally blows your theory away about Protestants removing the word “catholic”, doesn’t it.
I said all that I have attended. I did not say I have attended all Protestant churches.
Get going–you have a number of communities to return to the fold.I guess I would ask why and then explain it to them.
Agreed! One Church consisting of all who are saved in Christ Jesus. It is said the original Roman Creed which does not have the word “catholic” preceded the modern version which added the word “catholic”.I did and you are indeed correct: there was an Old Roman Creed:
It refers to the one Church, not a plethora of Churches, though. The Body of Christ undivided.
I can show you in Scriptures when I return from an interview this morning.Perhaps you can provide evidence that the Latin “ecclesiam” referred to an invisible body of believers strewn across many disagreeing communities and believing many different things.
I am stating the older version does not contain the word “catholic”. AND that my experience is Protestants recite the Apostle’s Creed most often and include the word “catholic” without problem.Only if you can show me where Protestants received the Old Roman Creed in 1520 rather than the Nicene Creed. Or that Protestants do not today use the Nicene Creed.
God.I note that you didn’t answer as to who speaks for all of Protestantism.
Are you signaling by use of the word “saved in Christ” that you understand the Catholic notion of “The Church” being comprised of three parts : 1) Church Militant (fighting Satan here on earth) 2) Church Penitent (those judged “Saved” by God but in purgatory completing their final purification) and 3) Church Triumph (those judged by God to be “saved” and in the fully perfected purity (both justified and sanctified in Christ and fully transformed)?Agreed! One Church consisting of all who are saved in Christ Jesus. It is said the original Roman Creed which does not have the word “catholic” preceded the modern version which added the word “catholic”.
Except for the Catholic Church telling you - how do you know that Old Creed is genuine if it is not in the bible?I am stating the older version does not contain the word “catholic”. AND that my experience is Protestants recite the Apostle’s Creed most often and include the word “catholic” without problem.
True, God will speak in judgement of all nations and man-made institutions and even His Bride- The Catholic Church. There will be many who will be condemned and complain “but we called you Lord Lord and drove out demons in your name” but Christ has already told us that not everyone who calls Him “Lord Lord” are known to Him and has warned that ‘those who reject who He has sent and put in authority over His church (the ecclesial episcopate through apostolic succession) will also be rejected’.God.
If what they claim is contrary to basic Christian doctrine, then they are “Christian” in name alone.
All true Christians agree on basic fundamental doctrine found in the Holy Scriptures and summarized in the Apostle’s Creed -Even Catholics.
This is the foundation of the Christian faith. If they don’t agree with it, then they are not really Christians, are they.
Good. It’s nice to find points of agreement.True, God will speak in judgement of all nations and man-made institutions and even His Bride- The Catholic Church. There will be many who will be condemned and complain “but we called you Lord Lord and drove out demons in your name” but Christ has already told us that not everyone who calls Him “Lord Lord” are known to Him and has warned that ‘those who reject who He has sent and put in authority over His church (the ecclesial episcopate through apostolic succession) will also be rejected’.
Correct - all true Christians believe in one faith and all the core tenants - baptism, 7 sacraments through properly ordained apostolic priests and teaching authority of The Church - The Holy Catholic Apostolic Church. Those outside of this faith are on extremely thin ice and will be judged both by what they knew and by what they deliberately neglected to know but should have.
James
It is a summary of doctrine found in the Bible. That’s how I know.Except for the Catholic Church telling you - how do you know that Old Creed is genuine if it is not in the bible?
James
You would really appreciate the treatment of the Creed in The Catechism of the Catholic Church. It is the first of the four sections of the Catechism and is saturated with references from Scripture and the Fathers. A friend of mine, who is Plymouth Brethren, keeps a copy in his car just to have it handy whenever he wants to look something up.It is a summary of doctrine found in the Bible. That’s how I know.
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
born of the Virgin Mary, Luk 1:27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name [was] Mary.
suffered under Pontius Pilate, Luke 23:16 I will therefore chastise him, and release [him].
was crucified, Luk 23:23 And they were instant with loud voices, requiring that he might be crucified. …24 And Pilate gave sentence that it should be as they required.
died, Luk 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
and was buried. Luk 23:52 This [man] went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. 53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
He descended into hell. Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
etc., etc., etc.,
Catholic means “universal”. One holy Church and one “holy, catholic, and apostolic Church” are synonymous—the latter merely emphasizes what “one” implies.Agreed! One Church consisting of all who are saved in Christ Jesus. It is said the original Roman Creed which does not have the word “catholic” preceded the modern version which added the word “catholic”.
You’ll have a hard time doing that unless you’re using Jerome’s vulgate. The Old Roman Creed was in Latin; my question was “Where in Latin do we see “ecclesiam” refer to an invisible community of believers who disagree on fundamentals of the faith?”I can show you in Scriptures when I return from an interview this morning.
Are you claiming to speak for all Protestants?I am stating the older version does not contain the word “catholic”. AND that my experience is Protestants recite the Apostle’s Creed most often and include the word “catholic” without problem.
Well, just ask some of the folks on this board who belong to anti-Catholic communities. They aren’t hard to spot and they will surely provide you an interesting response to this question.I cannot say there aren’t churches out there that refuse to recite creeds containing the word “catholic”. I can only say that I have never heard a Protestant object to it. I did hear one ask why it is in there and she seemed to accept the answer.
You will have to enlighten us as to these fundamentals, particularly as we’ve already noted not all Protestants adopt even the Apostle’s Creed, nor are all Protestants Trinitarian.God.
If what they claim is contrary to basic Christian doctrine, then they are “Christian” in name alone.
All true Christians agree on basic fundamental doctrine found in the Holy Scriptures and summarized in the Apostle’s Creed -Even Catholics.
You said it, not me.This is the foundation of the Christian faith. If they don’t agree with it, then they are not really Christians, are they.
My apologies for any confusion. I was on my way out the door when I responded.You’ll have a hard time doing that unless you’re using Jerome’s vulgate. The Old Roman Creed was in Latin; my question was “Where in Latin do we see “ecclesiam” refer to an invisible community of believers who disagree on fundamentals of the faith?”
Again I am not claiming heretics are part of the body of believers. If they disagree with the basic doctrines of Christianity, by definition, they are not Christians.Scripture would be good in addition, but then you’ll need to explain St Paul’s calls for unity. If it didn’t matter whether or not the faithful resided in various heretical communities, you’ll have to account for the epistles to the Corinthians for starters.
No. I did I say “all protestants” anything? No. I said I have never heard any Protestant object to the word “catholic”. My point is that you are making a blanket claim that Protestants removed the word “catholic”. If that were true why is it so rare to find any that object?Are you claiming to speak for all Protestants?
I’ve already responded to thisYou will have to enlighten us as to these fundamentals, particularly as we’ve already noted not all Protestants adopt even the Apostle’s Creed, nor are all Protestants Trinitarian.
Where in Scripture might I find the Old Roman Creed, the Apostle’s Creed, or the Nicene Creed, by the way?
lol. I’m sorry, but I know atheists who were Baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.The Catholic Church applies a much simpler standard for being called Christians and a most Scriptural one at that.
If you were baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit, you may be called a Christian and Catholics will call you “brother” or “sister”.
Again, I never claimed “God decreed all standards” for being Christian. On the contrary, I said only the standards set forth in Scripture or valid. These are the standards set forth by God.Unfortunately, there are many standards out there for who may be called a Christian, which is why I think you’re mistaken in assuming that God has decreed ALL of these standards.
Because you cannot answer a question about a Latin phrase from a text originally written in Greek and Hebrew.First, why would you assume I would go to men and councils over the Scriptures to find answers? I am Protestant, remember?
Yes, please do.So from the Scriptures I would show “an invisible community of believers”
But that is precisely the case in Protestantism. You have to define the lowest common denominator among the various conflicting doctrines of the various communities within Protestantism. C.S. Lewis called this “mere Christianity”.As for your suggestion of, “an invisible community of believers believers who disagree on fundamentals of the faith”
Yes, but who defines your de fides and where are they defined?I said those who disagree with basic doctrines of Christianity are Christian in name - only!
Agreed, but then, the Catholic Church has since its inception always been able to do what Christ bid us do in Matthew when he told us to bring our brother before the Church (which begs the question “If the Church is invisible, where do we bring him?”) and if he does not listen to the Church, treat him as a “heathen man and publican.”If they disagree with the basic doctrines of Christianity, by definition, they are not Christians.
You shall have to make the case from Scripture that Christ, the Son of God, was in fact God.And believe Jesus was only a man and nothing more, I am really a Christian?
You need only look at the Protestant communities which refuse to use either the Apostle’s Creed or the Nicene Creed in the form the Church provided them. Try Googling “Whore of Babylon” and you’ll uncover a whole bunch of these.My point is that you are making a blanket claim that Protestants removed the word “catholic”. If that were true why is it so rare to find any that object?
No, the statement would be accurate. Catholics believe many things, some of which are false.What if I said Catholics secretly believe birth control is moral and acceptable? Some do, but my statement would be false as it insinuates that idea is common and widespread among Catholics.
Yes, and they are Christians. The Prodigal Son was still a son.lol. I’m sorry, but I know atheists who were Baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
And how did you determine that only the stanards set forth in Scripture are valid?Again, I never claimed “God decreed all standards” for being Christian. On the contrary, I said only the standards set forth in Scripture or valid. These are the standards set forth by God.
Except when most Protestants interpret John 6.We must believe. “Believe” doesn’t mean “believe whatever you please”.
Yes, one must believe to be baptized. We baptized my son several months ago because we believe, as the man baptized his whole household, including one presumes several who were either to young or too unfamiliar with Christ to believe on their own.Mark 16:16 Jesus says, “He who believes and is baptized will be saved, but he who does not believe will be condemned.”