Appropriate Pop Music

  • Thread starter Thread starter OneOfTheFew
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dearly beloved friends,

Cordial greetings and a very good day.

In many previous threads I have expended much time and effort in exposing the unsavoury nature of all rock/pop music so this will be final contribution here.

Rock and pop music itself conveys a message irrespective of what lyrics are appended it. Unfortunately, dear friends, this entire music genre is hopelessly wedded to godless philosophies, chiefly revolt against authority and sexual permissiveness. Therefore sacred themes are incongruous in such a profane setting and thus putting them to a piece of rock/pop music is tantamount to desecration. This debased art form cannot be somehow sanitised because it is impossible to dissociate it from its unwholesome and un-Christian outlook, which is why so called ‘Christian rock’ is unsatisfactory.

Sadly, many (not all) of the Catholic youth of today are in denial regarding the evils of rock/pop music owing to poor catechesis and poor parenting, which has chosen to turn a blind eye to this debased sensory material. The young Catholic appears to want a hand in hand with the world type of religion that makes very little demand upon him in terms of personal sanctity and separation from the godless world. Frequently, all manner of worldliness and a lowered opinion is excused on the pretext of avoiding ‘scrupulosity’ or being unduly prissy. Consequently, contemporary Catholic youth are woefully failing to provide a vibrant Christian counter-culture that dares to be different by swimming against the current trends - “The way of perfection passes by way of the Cross. There is no holiness without renunciation and spiritual battle. Spiritual progress entails the ascesis and mortification that gradually lead to living in the peace and joy of the Beatitudes” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, para. 2015, added emphasis mine).

The pious Catholic, dear friends, who truly has the mind of Christ has as little to do with the godless world as possible; he does not attempt, therefore, to pour sacred themes into “old wine skins”, that is to say, into vessels sullied with base passions and profane culture. On the contrary, he labours to rid society of those cultural corruptions that conduce to the debasement of life and living. Today’s Catholic youth must wake up to the fact that being a professing Christian who is in earnest respecting the pursuit of holiness and desirous of a more intimate union with Christ, does necessarily entail saying farewell to a few of your favourite things.

Rock/pop music, dear friends, is incontrovertibly the product of fallen mankind and a cultural corruption that poisons the mind and demoralizes the life. How can it possibly sit comfortably with an earnest pursuit of holiness? There is music that which tends to ennoble a man, elevating him to a higher plain of thought and feeling (e.g. classical music and Gregorian Chant), and music (e.g. rock/pop) which tends to debase him because it makes its appeal to those base and primitive instincts. Let us be under no illusions, music either ennobles or degrades are manners or conduct, as Boethius (c. 480-524), Plato’s most famous student said, “Music has the power to form character”. Moreover, music can be soothing or invigorating, ennobling or vulgarizing, philosophical or profane - it is an influence for evil or for good. Therefore, listening to rock/pop music, regardless of the lyrics that are attached to it, means that we will very likely become tainted by its immoral associations, if not immediately then certainly over a period of time. One cannot foster an erotic and unwholesome type of music and then not expect the erosion of high standards and ideals, to say nothing of dampening our zealous pursuit of holiness and godly separation from the world. Moreover, those that insist on assimilating the vulgarity of rock and pop music are unlikely to develop a passionate attachment to that which is pure, lovely and virtuous (cf. Philippians 4: 8) or be renowned for outstanding moral excellence. Sadly, such debased music is beyond any artistic redemption because it always gravitates in the direction of revolt against convention, sexual licentiousness and anti-authoritarianism. This unwholesome music genre simply cannot help itself, which is why it does require a devastating exposure and why the Catholic faithful should engage in an unrelenting vigorous campaign it.

The whole course of this life, dear friends, is a state of probation and our final goal is Heaven and enjoying the Beatific Vision of God in Christ forever. Now what has this dreadful and unsavoury music got to do with the pursuit of this most noble and worthy goal? It is surely a hindrance rather than a help to the life of faith. St. Paul bids us: “Let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates the body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God” (II Cor. 7: 1). Every Catholic has a searching responsibility to apply that principle to every part of his life, including his musical choices. For many contemporary Catholics, I fear doing so would call for a complete transformation of their musical tastes - indeed, it might well call for bonfire! (cf. Acts 19: 18-20).

God bless and may I wish all contributors and viewers of this thread a jolly splendid and relaxing weekend. Thankyou for your time. Goodbye.

Warmest good wishes,

Portrait:tiphat:

In Christos
 
Don’t be hatin’ on Gregorian chants. There’s nothing better if you want to create a calm atmosphere.
Meh, I tend to associate them more with fantasy cathedrals or haunting satanic imagery. Case-in-point: Frollo’s Hellfire.
Look, Portrait. I get that you’re on a crusade against modern media, but a song can have a completely positive, Christ-centered message while using an electric guitar in the background. These things are not mutually exclusive.
Unfortunately, the pile of eloquent assertions you will see up there means you’re talking to, well, a mass of eloquent assertions. Feel free to remind him how classical composers lived lives just as debased modern rock stars though. 👍

I’m off to have a relaxing weekend indulging my sinful self on fire, blood, and raining destruction from on high. Nothing soothes my soul like combo-ing the crud out of an AI with BlazBlue metal in the background. :cool:
 
Well, Portrait, I disagree with just about everything you just said. I don’t know how to explain to you that Tenth Avenue North is able to communicate the love of God to me more directly than any piece of classical music ever could. I don’t know how to explain to you that sometimes I really, really need to hear a song begging me not to fight “these hands that are holding you”. I don’t know how to tell you that CCM is the best thing I have, and sometimes the only thing I have, that can pull me out of despair when I’m too far gone even to pray. That’s why my radio is set to a station that plays Christian Rock and CCM, not classical music. Because when I’m too tired to move that dial, I want to make sure that the music that pours out will be something that energizes me and reminds me that someone cares.

Clearly, you don’t think that the above is important. I disagree, and that’s that.

I hope you have a nice weekend, too.
 
Augean stable of unimaginable filth and depravity.
If I ever start a band, I call dibs on this as an album title. Sorry folks, it’s mine now.
40.png
Portrait:
There is music that which tends to ennoble a man, elevating him to a higher plain of thought and feeling
Heck yeah there is!
 
I’m trying to find current artists that are popular with teenagers. I’m running into trouble with actually finding appropriate ones. It seems that I can only find lyrics regarding sex. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
J-POP and anime sound. They don’t usually sing about sex. The girls have feminine voices. The music is usually upbeat. It’s usually kitschy but it beats most Western pop IMO.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top