W
Whitacre_Girl
Guest
So, I have been wrestling with this issue in my mind a lot, and I am having a hard time coming up with a solution. Maybe fellow cantors or church musicians will have some good feedback.
So, firstly, I am a church musician. Majored in music, and have performed in concerts more times than I can count. (Just last night I was in a choir that sang with the local symphony, and am auditioning for said symphony in a few weeks…) I have felt a calling to use my talents for the glory of God in the mass. I am working with other church musicians to revamp the music in the church to make it more…well, musical. Based mainly on what the mass USED to be…you know…Bach, Beethoven, Mozart masses
for the longest time the church was THE HUB of music, and now that is not the case. Sad, but true. ANYWAY
Before I lead the congregation in worship via song, I pray that they see God and GOD ALONE in the music. THis is an attitude I adopted while in school. But after mass I am always in an awkward position where people come up to me and say that “I sounded lovely” or they thank me for “MY beautiful music” I always get awkward about it and say a hushed “uhh…yeah…uh…thanks…” and scurry away. I asked my husband if I should start telling them to give their thanks to God because I don’t want it…but he said that would be as if I were ungrateful for their appreciation, and just plain rude. I guess I just don’t like the wordings. I have been ducking out of masses as quickly as I can afterwards because I want them to be focusing entirely on GOD, rather than me. Or I find a task to do in the back room until people clear out.
I personally accept the thanks and thank them back if I just finished a secular concert. (such as last night) but I just feel that after church, they should be thanking God, and not me. I am just an instrument when I am in church. It seems to me as silly as thanking the piano, rather than the pianist.
How do I handle these situations after mass? I want to show them that I am grateful that they acknowledge the work I put in to singing or playing at mass, but at the same time I don’t really want them thanking me for it, I want them to thank God.
So, firstly, I am a church musician. Majored in music, and have performed in concerts more times than I can count. (Just last night I was in a choir that sang with the local symphony, and am auditioning for said symphony in a few weeks…) I have felt a calling to use my talents for the glory of God in the mass. I am working with other church musicians to revamp the music in the church to make it more…well, musical. Based mainly on what the mass USED to be…you know…Bach, Beethoven, Mozart masses
Before I lead the congregation in worship via song, I pray that they see God and GOD ALONE in the music. THis is an attitude I adopted while in school. But after mass I am always in an awkward position where people come up to me and say that “I sounded lovely” or they thank me for “MY beautiful music” I always get awkward about it and say a hushed “uhh…yeah…uh…thanks…” and scurry away. I asked my husband if I should start telling them to give their thanks to God because I don’t want it…but he said that would be as if I were ungrateful for their appreciation, and just plain rude. I guess I just don’t like the wordings. I have been ducking out of masses as quickly as I can afterwards because I want them to be focusing entirely on GOD, rather than me. Or I find a task to do in the back room until people clear out.
I personally accept the thanks and thank them back if I just finished a secular concert. (such as last night) but I just feel that after church, they should be thanking God, and not me. I am just an instrument when I am in church. It seems to me as silly as thanking the piano, rather than the pianist.
How do I handle these situations after mass? I want to show them that I am grateful that they acknowledge the work I put in to singing or playing at mass, but at the same time I don’t really want them thanking me for it, I want them to thank God.