R
Revelation13_16
Guest
Dear CA,
In my ongoing ‘fence sitting’ inquiry into Catholicism, I have been reading many pro-Catholic works, and a few anti-Catholic works. (but mostly pro, and most who know me here believe I am earnestly seeking the truth)
Ephesians 2:8-9 says:
Now, as I understand the Catholic position, and please correct me if I’m wrong, it involves Merit.
So here’s my problem.
I read from an anti-Catholic site that: “Rome believes in salvation by works. Ergo, no Roman Catholic can be sure of his salvation”
Now I don’t know if this is true or not.
This “Merit” is it merely something that makes Purgatory go quicker, or is it actually needed to avoid Hell?
To rephrase this, let’s say I choose to become a Catholic, go through RCIA, be a good Catholic for a year, and then decide never to step foot in a Catholic church again and just stay home for the rest of my life.
Do I go to heaven (via a long stint in purgatory) or Hell because of my Mortal Sins?
Thanks.
Love,
Rev
In my ongoing ‘fence sitting’ inquiry into Catholicism, I have been reading many pro-Catholic works, and a few anti-Catholic works. (but mostly pro, and most who know me here believe I am earnestly seeking the truth)
Ephesians 2:8-9 says:
Protestants use this any many other passages from the New Testament to bank on their salvation. (although almost all Protestants acknowledge that God produces a change in people to make them do good works so a Christian who says they are saved but then sins en masse is probably not a Christian at all and has a false faith)By Grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves, not of works, it is the gift of God"
Now, as I understand the Catholic position, and please correct me if I’m wrong, it involves Merit.
So here’s my problem.
I read from an anti-Catholic site that: “Rome believes in salvation by works. Ergo, no Roman Catholic can be sure of his salvation”
Now I don’t know if this is true or not.
This “Merit” is it merely something that makes Purgatory go quicker, or is it actually needed to avoid Hell?
To rephrase this, let’s say I choose to become a Catholic, go through RCIA, be a good Catholic for a year, and then decide never to step foot in a Catholic church again and just stay home for the rest of my life.
Do I go to heaven (via a long stint in purgatory) or Hell because of my Mortal Sins?
Thanks.
Love,
Rev