Are dissenting Catholic views based on reason or emotion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thoughtful
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been a superinteresting thread although you did a switchroo on me as I determined that views meant like opinions now it is disobedience to truth?
But I would still like to reply because the talk of family made me think that My faith is actually more of a comparrison to marraiage than like parents. I am married and everything and decisions we have made has not even compared to my return to my faith in the Catholic church and Christ.
Marriage is a bond and even though I may think of divorce for reasons or emotions I could not divorce God because of the forgiveness He has shown me. So I stay in both aspects. So are you kind of like talking about leaving god like divorce or why do we stay with God because we don’t believe in or agree with everything He says? Can you explain more on this thoughtfull? dessert
Hi dessert!

That is a great analogy! 👍 We often compare our relationship with God to parent and child, and rightly so! However, when we enter into a relationship with God, we also enter into a covenant (like marriage), one that requires fidelity (as one example). God always upholds his end of the covenant, and He, through the Church (- which “binds” and “looses”, interprets scripture, etc.) has left us a pretty good framework of what is required of us. Thankfully, when we fail (sin), He forgives us.

I think the question has evolved. Roughly put…

(1) What do you call holding an obstinent dissenting view? *Disobedience. *
(2) What is disobedience? Using one’s free will in refusing to obey.
(3) Is a Catholic’s *willful *refusal to obey based on emotion or reason?

Just to add another 2 cents to the discussion, I think that to obstinently hold a dissenting view can be an emotional response to authority and rules; … or an emotional response to their sense of autonomy; … or an emotional struggle between their secular values (relativism) and Church values; to name a few.

And dissenters don’t like to be challenged…next time count how many times they throw the word “judgemental” around when they can’t fall back on reason to hold up their arguments.
 
Based on my personal experience as a former dissenting Catholic, I have to say that my personal opionion is that such views are based not on emotion nor on reason, but on ignorance–ignorance of the Church’s teachings, of the Bible, of how life works, of history–and come mostly also from being relatively out of touch with God and his will. Once you are in sync with God, in touch, on good terms…you will be orthodox in your views. If you are more in sync with this material world than the spiritual one, you might dissent more than otherwise.
 
No, I’m not away yet! I head off late this evening 😃

The one thing I would say is that perhaps this isn’t the best place to really gain an understanding of the dissenting position (dissenters, interestingly, was an early name for Presbyterians!). There are not a lot of them here. And they tend not to be very open about their position (the thread which sparked this one disappeared). Not a single one has posted on this thread.

So to say, as a group of Conservative Catholics, ‘this is our conclusion on the dissenting position’ would be a little like a Presbyterian saying ‘this is my view of Catholicism’ having only listened to other Presbyterian’s views, the views of Presbyterians who’ve met a few Catholics, and a few Presbyterians who’ve converted from Catholicism. You’d probably recommend that to REALLY understand Catholicism, it might be an idea to really spend some time among Catholics.

As for dissent being ‘willful disobedience’, I’d probably buy that (though not all actively disobey - they may THINK something, without actually doing anything about it, out of obedience). The question is, disobedient to what? I remember reading a commentary on Ephesians 5 where it says ‘wives submit to your husbands/children to parents/slaves to masters’. It emphasised that what the book of Ephesians is about submission to Christ - that we submit first to Him, and that submission is primary. Down through history we have people who dissented to one authority, because of being obedient to a higher authority - Bonhoeffer for example, or Martin Luther King.

Right, now I’m off to get packed!
 
IMO lack of obedience is the original sin. It is the thing we have to do, and like Adam and Eve, dissenters think they know better than God…

But like the two thieves on the crosses, some believe and repent and go to heaven, and some don’t.
 
That is the Catholic Church.

The Church is a formal organization – that’s how Christ organized it. He did it so that it could teach His message down through the ages. You can read in the Gospels how He trained and commissioned the Apostles to teach his message (that’s what the Magisterium is.) He promised that the Gates of Hell would not prevail against His Church (that’s the Kharisma of Infallibility.)

And there is overweening pride – “the Holy Spirit tells me things that He does not tell the Church. *** I*** am right and the Church is wrong!”
Yes when i was brought up in the Church I thought as a child(someday I will grow up and do my own thing) but now as an adult I am not to think of as a child but as an adult with the child faith. As an adult trying to have the commitment as a marriage as I am married so I know that all the commitment is about and just hanging in there and being faithfull is the gift I am stiving for. Faithful not only to my marriage to my dh but to my union with my Church and Christ or I should say reunion. dessert
 
Yes when i was brought up in the Church I thought as a child(someday I will grow up and do my own thing) but now as an adult I am not to think of as a child but as an adult with the child faith. As an adult trying to have the commitment as a marriage as I am married so I know that all the commitment is about and just hanging in there and being faithfull is the gift I am stiving for. Faithful not only to my marriage to my dh but to my union with my Church and Christ or I should say reunion. dessert
As I said, we all have difficulties with our faith. There are those who can’t believe and those who won’t believe.

The former should pray for the grace to believe. The latter have chosen themselves as the final authority.
 
Based on my personal experience as a former dissenting Catholic, I have to say that my personal opionion is that such views are based not on emotion nor on reason, but on ignorance–ignorance of the Church’s teachings, of the Bible, of how life works, of history–and come mostly also from being relatively out of touch with God and his will. Once you are in sync with God, in touch, on good terms…you will be orthodox in your views. If you are more in sync with this material world than the spiritual one, you might dissent more than otherwise.
I think ignorance can definitely play a part…but do you think it is ignorance of a particular Catholic teaching…or ignorance of why the Church teaches what it does?
 
The one thing I would say is that perhaps this isn’t the best place to really gain an understanding of the dissenting position (dissenters, interestingly, was an early name for Presbyterians!). There are not a lot of them here. And they tend not to be very open about their position (the thread which sparked this one disappeared). Not a single one has posted on this thread.
Yeh, you’re right. Soooo, I guess I will have to read that book! 😃
So to say, as a group of Conservative Catholics, ‘this is our conclusion on the dissenting position’ would be a little like a Presbyterian saying ‘this is my view of Catholicism’ having only listened to other Presbyterian’s views, the views of Presbyterians who’ve met a few Catholics, and a few Presbyterians who’ve converted from Catholicism. You’d probably recommend that to REALLY understand Catholicism, it might be an idea to really spend some time among Catholics.
Yep, good point. 😃 Why do you think they’re missing? I can completely understand “questioning” the Church and to fully admit that that is where someone finds themselves - I can respect that. But it is difficult to engage in a conversation with someone who says this “organization” is wrong on xyz without backing up their position. I say “Please give me something other than sentiments to establish your position.”

I’m a teacher and one of my “pets” is critical thinking (the other is media literacy). So, when I encourage someone to “back up their statement,” I ask for reasons why their statement is correct. Is it based on fact or emotion. For example, if someone says “same-sex marriage is wrong” - is it because they feel it should be because…well because “it just is?” or do they have proof that harm is being caused, do they have information about what the Word of God has to say about it (from a Christian persepctive), do they have resources about what the Catholic Church says (from a Catholic perspective). And if you agree with same-sex marriage and identify yourself Catholic, well then prove to me where the Catholic Church supports you in your position.

For all intents and purposes, this thread was really meant to create a dialogue about thinking about how we think and why we think what we do. In teaching, we use a process called metacognition (very roughly stated “knowing how we know/learn/think”). So often people (other than for reasons of ignorance or apathy) dissent without really thinking why they believe what they do.

Whenever I’m in a conversation with someone and someone challenges me, it forces me to think how I came to that conclusion. I love that kind of deductive thinking.
Down through history we have people who dissented to one authority, because of being obedient to a higher authority - Bonhoeffer for example, or Martin Luther King.
But in the case of Luther, look at the** fruits** of his dissent. Hundreds of demoninations and many who are no longer even faithful to Luther’s vision. I think one really has to think, does my willful and vocal dissent really build up the Church that Christ left.
The question is, disobedient to what?
Obedient to who? Really good question. I’m going to save that one for another post. Gotta run…
 
The one thing I would say is that perhaps this isn’t the best place to really gain an understanding of the dissenting position (dissenters, interestingly, was an early name for Presbyterians!). There are not a lot of them here. !
But on second thought…there have been a few “former” dissenters who have shared their thoughts…does that count?🙂
 
I think ignorance can definitely play a part…but do you think it is ignorance of a particular Catholic teaching…or ignorance of why the Church teaches what it does?
I think there is an ignorance out there that is so ignorant that it has no idea that there is anything to learn. This type of ignorance believes media stereotypes utterly without question.

I see it whenever someone uses the Galileo controversy, the Inquisition, or the Crusades to “prove” that the Catholic Church has no idea what it’s talking about. (It’s fairly obvious that these people have no clear idea what happened in any of those situations.)

They then take these stereotypes as justification for their (unfounded) assumption that the leaders of the Catholic Church have absolutely no clue what’s going on in the world, and that therefore, the only way to really protect yourself is to do whatever the secular media tells you is the “right” thing to do, whether it’s accept homosexual marriages, encourage birth control and abortion, teach kids to have “safe sex,” or whatever.
 
As I said, we all have difficulties with our faith. There are those who can’t believe and those who won’t believe.

The former should pray for the grace to believe. The latter have chosen themselves as the final authority.
I quess it does depend on who we think is the authority and a good rule of thumb is that obedience bringing us happiness. Dessert
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top