Are genetic abnormalities the result of sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpeakInSilence
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having a discussion with my friend, and he told me he believed the reasons why people die and there are genetic abnormalities is because of original sin. That Adam and Eve were perfect people, and because of sin the world was made imperfect, and all hell broke lose so to speak.

He told me that genetic abnormalities isn’t sinful, but it’s because of sin. I disagree with him.

I told him if they were created that way by God, and their form is the result of sin, then God had caused the sin.

Is it wrong for me to believe genetic abnormalities are not because of sin? I have been many children with down syndrome that display beautiful souls (though they aren’t free from committing sin themselves) and I have a hard time believing it’s the result of sin.

What’s the catholic teaching on this? Bible verses, or theological answers would help. Thank you.
I think that is like saying a child that suffers abuse…suffers because of their sin.

A down syndrome child is a blessing…and not at all because of sin…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top