Are Homosexuals Welcome in the Catholic Church?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gaddguy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in no way questioning the church’s position on the subject but rather trying to get a practical solution to helping those who feel disconnected because they are gay(or any reason for that matter) from the church and thus are not receiving the sacraments.
 
I think homosexuals are particularly sensitive in this area because they have been the object of hatred and hostility for so long. I think the feelings and reality of a gay person is different than the rest of the church and so they feel particularly unwelcome. I’m not saying the church does not welcome them- but I’m pretty sure this is what the gay person believes and as a result rarely if ever find themselves joining the very church that can offer the graces they so desperately need (like the rest of us).
 
Indirectly but I could be wrong about that. My point is can we find a practical solution to this problem?
 
tell them
1- SSA (aka homosexuality) is not bad
2- Homosexual actions are intrinsically disordere.
3- So, if you are in a relationship that currently entails homosexual acts, get out of it.
4- Once 3 is completed, come to Confession,Mass, and everything else, just like any other Catholic who struggles with any other sin.
 
Last edited:
What is interesting to me is that some people who suffer from SSA will talk about it openly to everyone. Online, to friends, in the workplace, but will never come to the church to talk to the priest, or the youth minister or a Deacon to talk about it.
All of the drama and angst can be avoided if they would just show up for Christ.
They’d receive a warm and loving welcome if that’s what they seek.
I think sometimes, that’s not really what they are looking for.

Everybody wants love and acceptance. And it’s hard when you know the answer is no.
For all of us…staying away (far away) from the Church only hurts ourselves.

We had a young man who would never come to formation classes. He had a boyfriend. His Dad thought he could beat him into a straight lifestyle, The child ended up hanging himself DESPITE the professed love of his boyfriend. The teens said it was because Dad was homophobic. Dad was uneducated in Church. So was the teen. Both were confused. It was a tragedy all the way around, and we Catechists were left with the fallout, the rubble of sorrow and attending to the emotional and spiritual needs of 200 kids who could not stop crying.

What I’m saying is: Take everything to Jesus. Come to church, learn from your priests, stay in Formation, talk to people, read good material. Don’t’ assume anything about anyone or anybody. God does love, abundantly, and with Him, all of us can get through anything, no matter the cross. There is love to be had.
 
Last edited:
same-sex attraction. Just a diferent, shorthand way of saying homosexuality.
 
am in no way questioning the church’s position on the subject but rather trying to get a practical solution to helping those who feel disconnected because they are gay(or any reason for that matter) from the church and thus are not receiving the sacraments
There are Many types of sins that could prevent us from receiving the sacraments. For me, its about priorities. Give up whatever sinful disorder prevents you from receiving the sacraments. The rules will not change to accommodate our chosen lifestyles.
Rule number
  1. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 1 Corinthians 10:13 .
  2. If all else in question, refer to rule number 1
 
Beautifully stated. I do take it to Jesus but many ssa folks do not. They won’t come to a church where they feel unwelcome and will never understand the true love of Jesus until they do. Catch 22- how to break the cycle?..
 
EDUCATION

Get educated before you assume what Catholicism is about.
It always comes down to poor catechesis.
 
My point is can we find a practical solution to this problem?
we help them by showing them the truth of the church. We show them an accepting Church with love and support while explaining how they fit in the Church in terms of their attractions. We show them how to carry this cross and to avoid temptation to commit these actions which are displeasing to God.
 
Get educated before you assume what Catholicism is about.

It always comes down to poor catechesis.
Indeed! I used to have a warped understanding of the Church until i actually got the facts instead of gossip and false stereotypes
 
In order to show others the truth of the church- we must know it ourselves. I will admit- I was poorly catechized growing up but through the grace of God have been learning and have a unquenchable thirst for more. I hope to lead this loved one to the Lord so she can experience the grace, joy, and peace only He can give.
 
I think some priests have been trying to encourage the gay people to come to church with things like the “LGBT Vespers” service that a bunch of people pitched a fit about on here a few months ago.
 
absolutely. The line has to be walked between hospitality and endorsment of morally illicit behavior.
 
Well, telling people, “You’re welcome to come to our church, by the way we think you’re probably committing morally illicit behavior right and left” is not likely to get many customers in the door.
 
Which is an instance in which the organizers could probably lean towards hospitality more.
 
What is interesting to me is that some people who suffer from SSA will talk about it openly to everyone. Online, to friends, in the workplace, but will never come to the church to talk to the priest, or the youth minister or a Deacon to talk about it.
ya that’s true. I guess its the stigma of the Church that society wants us to believe, that if the Church ever found out that a person ever had these attractions, they would be bullied and alienated from the faith. This is far from reality obviously, but that is probably how some view it.

Its easier to go online and talk about SSA openly, instead of talking to your Priest or deacon or youth minister. That is what i did for a while. I had understood what the Church said about my attractions to other men and how they support people like me, yet although i knew this, i still found it hard telling one of my priests face-to-face about my struggle. Eventually i did and the results were incredible. I also ended up telling my youth minister the same day.

The point i want to make is that we can help these people. We can show them the love of God, and help them lead Holy lives if we could just rescue them from society’s ideology that brainwashes them into thinking the Church doesn’t like them and that living the homosexual lifestyle is somehow better than serving God.

Anyway, just my two cents.
In order to show others the truth of the church- we must know it ourselves. I will admit- I was poorly catechized growing up but through the grace of God have been learning and have a unquenchable thirst for more. I hope to lead this loved one to the Lord so she can experience the grace, joy, and peace only He can give.
Ya i also was catechised poorly. I need to complain to the school board about religious education in Catholic schools. Have a blessed day
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top