R
recentrevert
Guest
Firstly, the Church teaches that unless non-Catholics convert, they will be damned. Outside of the Church there is no remission of sin. They must convert. God gives all people who sincerely seek to do His Will the graces they need to enter the Church. We cannot say for certain that any particular non-Catholic is in hell because that person could, in his last moments, have accepted the Faith and desired baptism - where there is life there is hope.Agreed!!! The Church does not teach Jews are going to hell. Maybe that is just where they learned about their Catholic faith. Makes me wonder if he is a convert. I am a cradle catholic, going to 12 years of Catholic school, and have worked at a Catholic high school for 20 years and not one of the many, many priest I have known, ever taught the Jews were not going to be saved.
I don’t see why people care if the Jews are saved or not. They should be worrying about their own salvation and I don’t see damning people to hell helping them get there!
Secondly, if it is true that neither your parents, nor your teachers, nor your catechists, nor your priests have ever taught you that non-Catholics must convert then they have done a most terrible job of teaching you the Faith. Why do you think so many martyrs have died spreading the Gospel if belief in it is just some sort of unneccessary choice?
Thirdly, I care about whether the Jews are saved or not because God has commanded me to love my neighbour as I love myself. It would not be loving to pretend that non-Catholics will go to heaven when we know that if they die in unbelief they will not. If we tell Jews that they need not convert we lie and we call Christ a liar and we damn ourselves also. Not that you are lying, because you do not know, but you should consider whether that is something you ought to have known. We must preach the Gospel and pray for their conversion.