Are Lapel Mics Licit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheMc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So why play a game with us?

Why didn’t you just start the thread out with this explanation as part of the original post?
I was pretty certain he wasn’t actually too concerned about the liceity of lapel mics. The term “devil’s advocate” has a connotation of defending a position other than one’s own.
 
I was pretty certain he wasn’t actually too concerned about the liceity of lapel mics. The term “devil’s advocate” has a connotation of defending a position other than one’s own.
🤷
I guess. Maybe I’m getting a bit to critical. Maybe its time I take a break from here.
 
I have personally seen HH John Paul II, of Eternal Memory, wear a lavolier mic (what most people call a lapel mike) with the mic affixed to his chasuble. If it’s good enough for His Holiness, it’s good enough for me.
 
So does that mean that the Missal isn’t placed on the altar until after the offertory, in effect? I mean , it shouldn’t bethere from the beginning?
Correct, it should be near the priest’s chair before Mass begins. It is placed on the altar just before the offertory procession, after the Prayer of the Faithful.

From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :

“118. The following are also to be prepared:
a. Next to the priest’s chair: the Missal and, as needed, a hymnal;”

“190. If no deacon is present, after the Prayer of the Faithful is concluded and while the priest remains at the chair, the acolyte places the corporal, the purificator, the chalice, the pall, and the Missal on the altar. Then, if necessary, the acolyte assists the priest in receiving the gifts of the people and, if appropriate, brings the bread and wine to the altar and hands them to the priest.”

“139. When the Prayer of the Faithful is completed, all sit, and the Offertory chant begins (cf. above, no. 74).
An acolyte or other lay minister arranges the corporal, the purificator, the chalice, the pall, and the Missal upon the altar.”
 
I understand what you’re saying, and agree to a degree, but projectors aren’t allowed.
I’d be interested to see if there has been any further clarification of what “projectors” means; certainly in 1958 they were loud, clattery devices that certainly would disrupt the mass. Nowadays, “projectors” are silent and are used in some parished to project the hymn numbers and lyrics and in some cases the liturgical responses for the congregation to see. I think that Benedict would see a distinction between the technology of the '50s and today.

Of course that doesn’t mean that projecting pictures or videos during the homily is acceptable; just that the technology that does it is, my guess, no longer prohibited.
 
I can’t believe 25 people actually made the effort to read and reply here…and now I’m making it 26!

I’ve got to stop drinking coffee after 10:00 pm. :coffeeread:
 
I can’t believe 25 people actually made the effort to read and reply here…and now I’m making it 26!

I’ve got to stop drinking coffee after 10:00 pm. :coffeeread:
14 actually. Several of us have make a couple posts 👍
And Lapey, you don’t get to count 3 times! :tsktsk:
 
I have personally seen HH John Paul II, of Eternal Memory, wear a lavolier mic (what most people call a lapel mike) with the mic affixed to his chasuble. If it’s good enough for His Holiness, it’s good enough for me.
That seems like a bad position to take with any pope. I’m sure that even Servant of G-d Pope John Paul II did some liturgically illicit things. Furthermore, this stance ignores the fact that the Pope is subject to the rules and laws like any other priest or bishop. Sure he can change them whenever he wants to, but when they’re in place he is still their subject, not the other way around.
 
How about the trendy around the ear mics? Do we want to bring the mic stands back? The little stand on the altar was cool.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top