Are There Any Religious "Callings" Here?

• Thread starter Thread starter robertaf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
poppiedancer,

So wonderful you are 17 and realizing that God may be calling you!

I am 31 and I have walked a circituous (sp? sorry) path, and only recently realized that God really opened every single door for me and when I was “stuck” it was by his will because he was waiting for the next “lesson” in his plan.

I don’t know what other late vocations go through but I used to love my current job, and saw a very clear and promising career path. But in only a few months I have grown to hate my job and if I didn’t go to an adoration chapel over my lunch break I would not make it. The Lord is faithful as he provided this haven.

I still hate my job but I am finding out what redemptive suffering is about as the Lord takes me through this lesson. Anyway, my point is that I have expressed over the last couple months how I have no direction suddenly; I don’t have a clear path for the first time in my life and I was at a loss and brought to the very feet of Jesus in total dependence upon him as I faced the possibility of not only NOT having another career goal, but I may also be fired due to an attack upon my character (long story).

Now that I look back I see that God has been calling me to discernment and because I was running away I have been suffering so much. That’s not to say that I’m really called to religious life, but that God does have a path and he is asking me to trust him no matter where this path leads.

Amazing how the Lord works.

poppiedancer, if you are recognizing this call so young you are so blessed! Please follow it and don’t fall into the trap I set for myself in running away thinking I wasn’t worthy (who is?) or that God wouldn’t have real use for me.

Please keep us all updated as you proceed, no matter where God leads you.

I feel that the Lord may be calling me to the permanent diaconate. I have young children, so it will be a few years before I actively pursue the formation program.

Several months ago I started my “unofficial” discernment process. Upon recommendation of my pastor, I am now distributing Holy Communion at a local nursing home. I’ve also been praying the Divine Office and doing lots of spiritual reading. Just about all of this is done with no impact on my family.

I don’t know where this will lead, but I feel a very strong calling to serve others. This is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before. Prior to getting married 10 years ago I spent most of my life serving myself. Several months ago, I had a health scare (I’m fine now) which provided a huge wake-up call. At that point, I dedicated the rest of my life to the Lord. I am getting unbelievable peace and joy from serving my family and other people that the Lord has placed near me. I attend Daily Mass before work and I’m now going to confession every 2 weeks. The nursing home ministry has been a great blessing and I consider it such an honor to be able to serve Jesus in this way.

I’d appreciate all of your prayers as I continue to discern God’s will for my life.

God Bless,
Gary

I feel called to the active contemplative life, particularly working with children or the elderly. does anyone know of any orders that have both the active and prayer life balance? thanks and God Bless 🙂

40.png
twin2004:
I feel called to the active contemplative life, particularly working with children or the elderly. does anyone know of any orders that have both the active and prayer life balance? thanks and God Bless 🙂
Here’s a great website that allows you to search different congregations.

The Carmelite Sisters of the Sacred Heart work with both children and the elderly and have the Carmelite devotion to contemplative prayer.

carmelitegeneralate.homestead.com/

God Bless you!
Rosa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back