Are There Any Religious "Callings" Here?

• Thread starter Thread starter robertaf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am being called to a vocation. I am very nervous, scared and excited. I have butterflies in my stomach over weither I should call a community or email them. The emails I had with vocation.com suggested I try Dominican Sisters of Saint Cecilia.

I am very excited, like I just want to jump right into this and then I am nervous and feel that I should just forget about it all.

Maybe it is a “mid-life” crisise, but, increasingly, I have been feeling a call to the priesthood.

This is not sudden and has been happening over the past half dozen years. If fact, I never had the urge (except for one brief moment which I am glad I did not pursue) to the married life.

This calling seemed to intensify starting last winter when I attended the ordination to the Diaconate of a seminarian that was serving in my former parish. It increased even more when I was invited (and attended) his ordination to the priesthood last May.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I did meet with the Vocation Director in my hometown diocese to discuss this calling. To my suprise, he said I seem to be further along than I thought in my dissernment.

Luckily for me, I was aware of a late vocation in my hometown and discovered that the Vocation Director was a classmate of that priest.

I am hoping that this calling does come true and would be entering the seminary next year.

PF

40.png
lily628:
Furthermore, it is a type of uniform, a sign of her consecration to God. Military, FedEx drivers, UPS drivers, and many others wear uniforms. Are you saying that the role of a member of a religious order is less important than these jobs?
No, it’s more important. FedEx and UPS wear uniforms to advertise an earthly product. God is not a product.
40.png
lily628:
A woman in religious habit no more “singles herself out” than one who wears a cross necklace, a WWJD bracelet, Christian t-shirts, a head covering, a Jewish man who wears the yamaka, those who bear ashes on their forehead on Ash Wednesday, etc. These are all outward signs of an inward commitment to God. Wearing these things takes a humble courage, especially when society around us considers it strange. It opens one up to persecution and provides opportunities to stand up for one’s faith.
I do wear a small cross neclace usually under my shirt, but otherwise I try not to be pretentious in my faith. As a matter of fact, I don’t use offering envelopes because God knows how much I put in the offering plate; no one else needs to know. I don’t need to get “my reward on earth,” I’d rather get it in Heaven. Plus, it’s God’s money anyway; why should I put my name on it?
**Matthew 6 **
*16. **"Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. *

*17. **"But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face *

*18. *so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

I don’t think “outward signs of an inward commitment to God” are earthly, man-made, material things at all. Anyone can buy jewelry, t-shirts, or special clothes, it doesn’t mean you have an inward commitment to God. Expressing an inward commitment to God would be loving others and all that entails.

Also, I don’t need to “open myself up to persecution” for opportunities to defend my faith. I try not to be defensive, but proactive.

40.png
Tiffse:
No, it’s more important. FedEx and UPS wear uniforms to advertise an earthly product. God is not a product.

I do wear a small cross neclace usually under my shirt, but otherwise I try not to be pretentious in my faith.

I don’t think “outward signs of an inward commitment to God” are earthly, man-made, material things at all. Anyone can buy jewelry, t-shirts, or special clothes, it doesn’t mean you have an inward commitment to God. Expressing an inward commitment to God would be loving others and all that entails.

Also, I don’t need to “open myself up to persecution” for opportunities to defend my faith. I try not to be defensive, but proactive.
:blessyou:

Hello Tiffse,

I see that we disagree on this issue, and that’s ok. I do not see the religious habit or wearing religious articles in the way you describe it. Certainly we are not to do our acts of righteousness before others simply in order to be seen by them, but I do not see wearing the habit as doing that. For me, wearing a cross is difficult but challenging, because I need to get over being ashamed of what others think about my faith. The Bible also tells us to not be ashamed of the gospel (Rom. 1:16). I see the religious habit as an outward sign of the gospel message, and a way to be a powerful and silent witness for Christ.
40.png
Tiffse:
I agree completely. Some people wear these “signs” without a commitment to God, but that doesn’t mean we need to throw out the signs for the faithful.
40.png
Tiffse:
Also, I don’t need to “open myself up to persecution” for opportunities to defend my faith.
I’m sorry if I was unclear, but that was not the message thatI intended. Certainly I don’t think anyone has to go seeking persecution :). Let me provide that section in context from my original quote:
40.png
lily628:
Wearing these things takes a humble courage, especially when society around us considers it strange. It opens one up to persecution and provides opportunities to stand up for one’s faith. It also brings people approaching religious sisters with prayer requests.
I meant it in the sense that since the world considers it strange, it takes courage to wear the habit. It is a visible and recognizable witness to one’s faith. For me, it would take more humility to wear the religious habit than not. Perhaps you and I are different on this.
40.png
Tiffse:
I try not to be defensive, but proactive.
I agree with this, however I do not see how wearing a religious habit makes one not proactive. I see it as the opposite, actually. With whatever clothing I wear (within reason), I am not harming anyone else, and only possibly doing some good. A religious in habit has a high responsibility to live a holy life because others will look to them as examples, and I see this as a way of silently witnessing to the gospel. St. Francis of Assissi said “Preach the gospel always, and if necessary, use words”. Along with acts of charity, one of the primary means of doing this is through outward signs. This is a proactive way to show the gospel without being offensive by imposing your views on others.

If because I were wearing a religious habit, someone were to recognize me and ask me for prayer, or ask about my faith, or about Christ, or tell me about how they remember when nuns taught them in school… whatever be the case–this type of encounter with a stranger or parishoner would be such a joy to me, and I expect to the other person also.

:blessyou: Lily628

Br. Dan:
Well, I look at is as saying “Look at the clothes I’m wearing and what they represent.” And, what they represent is not me.
Why do priests wear black? To remind people of death.

Why do religious wear a habit? Because it’s what paupers wore way back when. They just didn’t keep up with fashion. 🙂

40.png
Augustine:
Why do priests wear black? To remind people of death.
🙂
And I thought they chose the color because it is slimming and hides stains well.

I am married with children and yet I wonder if I am called to the Lay Carmelite order.

God Bless you,
Donna

I am a diocesan seminarian studying for the priesthood… half-way through, but thinking about religious life still (any one know any good orders that work with the poor… I was thinking about the CFR’s in NY, etc.). [please pray for me… I am a bit torn and confused] (the only thing that I am pretty sure of is that I am not called to marriage, as noble a vocation as it is)

RE: religious clothing. As a seminarian who attends theological university in a city outside of my seminary residence, I have had to wear a collar. Can that be a sign of pride for some?.. I suppose so. But it is also humbling in the sense that you are guaranteed to get stared at by people who think you are a gay pedophile (do you know what that is like?). I think distinct religious garb is important because it is a witness to the world… not a self-righteous witness, but really just a reminder that such a thing as a life of consecration to God even still exists (I cannot tell you how many people either have never seen a priest or a nun before… or think that they are practically extinct!). It can be an excellent way to start a conversation and evangelize because people see you and know that you are follower of Christ (at least that you are trying to be)… many times they feel that is it is safe to be able to start a conversation and ask questions because they figure that the Faith is “what you are all about”… it is who you are. Can you show that in other ways than a habit?.. Yes, but the habit and other identifiable garb have a rich history in this regard.

I’m finishing my first year in seminary. Its rough ya don’t know u are called for sure until u r ordained. Then ya know you are called because ya have received the sacrament of Holy Orders that gives ya the grace for your vocation. I want to talk to those who are in discernment either privately or in seminary. We need to encourage each-other.

I’ve been feeling a very strong call to action. That is, to help people. The life of a monk has greatly interested me for a while now. If I could just decide which sect of Christianity to join… Oh well, I’m young.

40.png
Juxtaposer:
I’ve been feeling a very strong call to action. That is, to help people. The life of a monk has greatly interested me for a while now. If I could just decide which sect of Christianity to join… Oh well, I’m young.
Hello Juxtaposer, I am glad to hear that you are sensing a call to help those in need. If you would like to consider men’s religious communities, allow me to suggest that you check out this site with various communities of religious brothers and priests: religiouslife.com/webfact/search.phtml

The Institute of Religious Life (which hosts that site) is a Catholic organization that ensures that all of its member communities are viable and exhibit an orthodox Catholic faith (faithful to Catholic teachings). If that is what you seek then they are an excellent resource.

During your investigation of Christianity, may I suggest a few resources to consider?

The Catholic Answers library is full of materials that explain the Catholic faith in an easily understandable format, that draws from sources such as Scripture and the early Church Fathers.

Catholic Outlook is another great site for understanding and discussing Catholic beliefs. The author uses logic and Scripture to prove Catholic beliefs. Click on the “Topics” menu.

If you have not already found your local Catholic radio station, I suggest that you check it out. I have been so blessed by the Catholic radio station in my area. I saw in your profile that you are from Minneapolis, MN. According to EWTN’s radio guide, your local station should be WLOL 1330 AM. If you can’t hear it for some reason, you may be able to listen online or even watch the EWTN television programming.

Finally (and perhaps most importantly), I suggest that if you have not already done so, please take the opportunity to visit a Catholic mass. If you feel ready to inquire about the faith, find a priest who is open to discuss this with you. This is not saying that you necessarily have to commit to it, but just to help in your journey.

I will pray that God leads you to where He wants you to be.

Blessings in Christ,
Lily628

After High School and college, I’m becoming a priest. Pray for me, please?

40.png
TheTruth0723:
After High School and college, I’m becoming a priest. Pray for me, please?
How wonderful! I will keep you in my prayers 🙂

God bless,
Lily628

Hey all. I’m new here.

I’m 24, and I have felt a strong calling to the priesthood my entire life. For as long as I’ve been aware, I’ve known God was calling me to serve Him in that manner.

I surprised and confused everyone, though, when I did not enter the seminary right out of high school, and decided to just work instead. The only answer I was able to give was that I knew, in my heart, the time wasn’t right. God was not ready for me yet, and had other things for me to do first.

But in the past six months, I’ve felt my calling reawakening inside of me. The time’s not here yet, but soon. One friend told me she sees me starting within two years. I think it’ll be less than that. But we’ll see.

Keep me in your prayers. I see a long and difficult road before me.

If anyone would like to chat, feel free to PM me.

God Bless!

Timmay!

40.png
robertaf:
Hi Church,
Oh Man, I should have put the Deaconate in here. I forgot.
I do apologize for neglecting it.

I love the posts from you guys, though.
I will let you off the hook. It gets my goat when people forget to put the Diaconate in a catagory like “Priests and Religious.” There are only three ordained levels in the church - Bishop, Priest, & Deacon. Nuns and Brothers are not ordain but consecrated to their order. Any call to a life of service to the church is most honorable so please do not think that I am trying to belittle Nuns and Brothers - because I am not. I just want to make sure that Deacons get their fair shake.

For months I have been going back and forth and back and forth on this. I mentioned on this forum a couple times in one of my pendulum swings.

But finally I have made the decision to follow the path of discernment and find out if God is really calling me. In my research already I’ve found that many of my own personal objections and concerns are very common and they have been answered and put aside.

I also realized that I was absolutely TERRIFIED of telling someone only to recieve the response, “WHAT! ? YOU? Of ALL people, what would God want with YOU?”. No matter how irrational, I realized that the very fact that I suffer this fear means that I have a desire for this life.

I’ve told my immediate family that I’m thinking about it. I’ve gotten involved with my parish’s Charismatic group and the other day I revealed it to them…and I was shaking as I did so. I told them that when the 6th person (here I looked at one of the women in the group in particular)) came up to me and asked me if I have a Vocation I should look into this, and then I learned that that particular woman wasn’t the last…others had wondered the same but said nothing.

So far everyone has been very supportive, which is great!

So on Thursday evening when I called my Spiritual Director, a priest at my parish, I told him over the phone. He was maybe the most-surprised sounding, but told me he really wasn’t. We talked a little and then set an appointment for Friday night (last Friday). He asked me why I think I might be called and I took him through all the little things that had come up. He used to be the Vocations Director in his parish in another country and often nodded as I was speaking about my doubts and questions.

He told me to contact the Vocations Director for our archdiocese, and this priest is very well regarded so I know it’ll be easy to talk to him.

But I have to say, when I told my SD I could barely spit it out. Has anyone else had this experience?

Why am I so afraid to tell people that I’m even considering this?

My SD is very supportive and has affirmed that I need to discern this possible calling, and I have to say that since he and I spoke I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!

Anyway, I’m looking at Dominican orders, maybe some contemplative (not cloistered, but my SD thinks I should consider it, citing St. Therese of Avila), and possibly missionary. I shared with him some of my feelings upon my semester in Mexico in college and my return to the US.

Sorry, didn’t mean to ramble on.

I am really thinking that God is calling me to live totally and radically for Him. And probably as a Dominican 😃

JCPhoenix: I so agree! I told my school chaplain a couple of weeks ago (the first person I’ve told face to face.) I felt sooooo much better after talking to him, particularly as he was supportive.

I haven’t told my family yet. But I’ll need to. You see, I’m only 17…so I’d want their blessing to enter.

I am equally torn between the cloister and teaching…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back