Are we in the Tribulation?

• Thread starter Thread starter potterygirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

potterygirl

My husband wanted me to ask you all if you think that we are in the Tribulation?

This came up in our numerous theological discussions one day as the EURO came about what 2 years ago?? My husband had read in the Bible about one currency or one government that comes about during the time of the Tribulation.

Thanks from my husband to those who can answer this.
~amy

I do not think we are there yet, but I think it will come soon. I do not think that the AntiChrist has appeared yet.

I would agree that we are not there yet…but I also agree that the European Union could eventually evolve into Antichrist’s kingdom. If you read through the book of Daniel…we learn that the 4th beast (usually identified as the Roman Empire) is to come cease for a time and then return at the end, with ‘ten horns’ or ‘ten toes’ (in Revelation we see mention of these ten horns, or ten kingdoms, again) as Antichrist’s empire. The book of Daniel is really good for using prophecy to defend the faith…it’s incredible how detailed the prophecies were (which were accurately fulfilled) regarding the Third Beast (identified as Alexander the Great’s Empire), I think the prophecies I’m thinking of are mainly in Daniel 11.

Speaking of the Tribulation, does anyone know if any Catholic scholars subscribe to the interpretation that the Tribulation will be 7 years long (Hebrew years, that is)? I know that those Protestants that believe this base it on a combination of verses in Daniel and Revelation.

Do Catholics believe this about the Anti-Christ, Tribulation, and Rapture? I thought it was only certain American Protestant Fundamentalist denominations that interpreted certain books of the New Testament this way but that Catholics do not subscribe to those interpretations.

my husband just jokingly stated that he feels the antichrist is the ACLU!!! the anti-christ league of underlings…

I see it happening soon too. Now I am just an infant of Biblical Studies and I wonder sometimes that in revelations when it refers to those who deny God. Makes you wonder if this so called denial of God in our America of today is the beginning of the Tribulation. Just as the ACLU has a lawsuit against the County of Los Angeles to remove the cross on the county seal which is 1/8th of the size of the PAGAN goddess of fishing?? or something??? that is in the very middle of the seal. Hello, LA was founded bc of a mission that was built by a priest and a monk. (as Fox news tells it). And what does LA stand for??? The City of Angels.

My husband who has a great deal of protestant background (some seminary and was a youth minister/educator) was always told that it was a period of 3 years. I think most think this because of the Tri-prefix that is associated with numerical three!!!

One thing I have noticed is that the world is quickly speaking only one language again (English). Now when we used to speak one language God didn’t like it. We started to build the Tower of Babel.

I don’t think we are in the end yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if something starts in 2033.

Trial, Tribulation & Triumph Before, During and After Antichrist by Desmond A. Birch.

He goes into detail what the Early Church Fathers taught about The End Times and only writes about Approved Church Apparitions.

Fascinating stuff! He writes a lot about happenings in France and Europe. Whenever I see anything “disruptive” in France I think we might be getting closer to “something” big happening!

Stephanie

No, we are not in the Tribulation–because that isn’t part of Catholic theology.

As used popularly, “Tribulation” is a term (and an idea) coming out of Dispensationalism, a Protestant movement that began in the nineteenth century.

The Holy Father repeatedly has spoken about the prospects for this century, even going so far as to say it might usher in a new springtime for the Church. He gives no evidence of subscribing to the idea of the Tribulation.

Some Catholic writers have imbibed Dispensationalist theology and write in favor of the Tribulation (which supposedly will last seven years) and even of the Rapture, but none of this stems from Catholic teaching, and much of it is incompatible with Catholic teaching.

My advice is to steer clear of books promoting Dispensationalist theology.

I suggest you and your husband read the following three books to give you a better insight on how the Catholic Church views Dispensationalist theology:

“Rapture” by David Curie 👍
“The Rapture Trap” by Paul Thigpen (study guide available)
Will Catholics Be Left Behind" by Carl Olsen

Also the following tapes or CD’s available from St. Josephs Communication at www.saintjoe.com.

“The Rapture Revealed” by David Curie
“The Rapture Files” by Tim Staples 👍
“The End: A Study On The Book of Revelation” by Scott Hahn

As an Anglican I was quite caught up in all this second coming business. Reading books by people like Tim LaHaye and Hal Lindsey. I believed it all.My view changed over the years though by reading different views on the subject (books by Tom Wright) an Anglican) even before becoming a Catholic.
Then started reading the Catholic view on my road to Catholicism.
I agree 100pc. with Karls view on this subject. It is no longer a problem for me.
👍

phew…what a relief…with all that’s going on in the world, the last thing that I need to worry about!

Thanks you guys! I will check out the other literature mentioned before!

Karl Keating:

As used popularly, “Tribulation” is a term (and an idea) coming out of Dispensationalism, a Protestant movement that began in the nineteenth century.
I thought that Catholics did believe that there would be a great tribulation before the second coming of Jesus.

As I understand we are Amillenial, which means that we are currently in the millenium (taken not to be a literal 1000 years) awaiting the second coming. And just before the second coming there is going to be a great tribulation with the Anti-Christ coming on the scene.

Also don’t Catholics believe in the rapture, just not the way Pre-millenial Christians view it (which comes in many different flavors)? The Catholic understanding is that we will be “raptured” (I.e. caught away) at the second coming when Jesus comes to judge the living and the dead.

Am I off base here?

Cary Melvin:
I thought that Catholics did believe that there would be a great tribulation before the second coming of Jesus.

As I understand we are Amillenial

The Catholic understanding is that we will be “raptured” (I.e. caught away) at the second coming when Jesus comes to judge the living and the dead. Am I off base here?
Nope, Cary. You have posted the general Catholic view. The thing to remember is that there are gradual and different ‘layers’ of fulfillment of the eschatological prophecies. Most discussion about them is overly simplistic.

Karl Keating:
Thank you, I was starting to get a little worried about some of these postings.

mara

I am very certain that the Catholic Church does teach a great tribulation in the last days…but I think Karl means not in the same sense as those views taught by Tim LaHaye et al.

Karl, could you perhaps elaborate? I know there is a Tribulation in Catholic teaching, but I know very little about Catholic end-times views. The Bible is quite clear that there will be a great tribulation (or the Day of the Lord) in the last days.

I also agree basically with what Cary has stated. but the questions is. Are we in the tribulation?
The church has gone through many tribulations and may go through may more before the end.
The book of revelation may have a shadow reference to the future but the basic message was for the church of that day and mostly fullfilled at the destruction of Jerulsalem in ad 70
The point for me is that we are not to worry about the future - the Lord will look after that.
I myself am basically a-millenialist.
walter

Good Job Karl! Thanks for speaking the truth much better than I could have. My answer would have been no, ask Karl for more reasons! :cool:

Every year some Fundamentalist is predicting the Tribulation, the Last Days or something. I remember years ago a minister had “absolute biblical proof” that “Rapture” would be in 1980. Then there was a big buzz about Y2K. Then 2004, because of the 4-year error in calculating Christ’s birth. People twist all sorts of stuff happening in the middle east or Europe into interpretations of Revelation. This is all superstitious nonsense. You could probably come up with the same sorts of convuluted predictions by extrapolating from the works of Shakespeare.

First of all “no one knows the day or hour”. Second, what is Tribulation anyway? Many Catholic theologians do not even adhere to the concept of a “date and time” second coming, but see it as a spiritual metaphor. As long as we are living an earthly existence, we are in “tribulation”! It might be intellectually fun to spin fantastic predictions out of world events and scripture verses, but it seems it would be more useful to work on one’s individual salvation.

Get a copy of the series on the end times that just finished on EWTN called the Last Things in Time and Eternity. It was done by Desmonfd Birch who wrote Trial, Tribulation and Triumph: Before, Duiring and After the Anti-Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back