A
Ad_Orientem
Guest
In another thread, David Filmer and I had the following exchange (excerpted here):
It is grace indeed that gives us the power to make salutary acts; but we do make salutary acts. Scripture tells us to work out our salvation (Phil. 2:12), and that “by works a man is justified…” (Jas. 2:24). I don’t think it ever says we are saved by X alone.
To further support my position I refer the reader to the Council of Trent, Session VI, Canons 24, 26, 31, & 32. These canons mainly treat “faith alone,” but I think are applicable also to “baptism alone.”
David, you are especially invited to comment here, but I also open the discussion to anyone else who has some (name removed by moderator)ut.
…] We are saved by Christian Baptism ALONE …]. We can forfeit our salvation through mortal sin, but can regain it through Sacramental Confession …].
I’m sorry, but this is incorrect. If we have to do something to maintain our baptismal grace then it is not baptism alone …].
I think our disagreement is at least partly semantics. Ultimately, yes, it is God’s grace that saves us; but statements that “we are saved by X alone” tend to be wrong, because in common parliance they exclude the other conditions for salvation, as with the Protestant solas.Sorry, but it is correct …] “By Baptism all sins are forgiven …] In those who have been reborn nothing remains that would impede their entry into the Kingdom of God …]” CCC 1263
…] The Church does not teach that Baptism + ANYTHING leads to salvation. …] It is possible that our FAILURE to have faith, or perform works, etc might (or might not) constitute mortal sin, which could nullify our Baptismal Grace (which is restored, not by faith or works or any other thing, but by Sacramental Confession).
It is grace indeed that gives us the power to make salutary acts; but we do make salutary acts. Scripture tells us to work out our salvation (Phil. 2:12), and that “by works a man is justified…” (Jas. 2:24). I don’t think it ever says we are saved by X alone.
To further support my position I refer the reader to the Council of Trent, Session VI, Canons 24, 26, 31, & 32. These canons mainly treat “faith alone,” but I think are applicable also to “baptism alone.”
David, you are especially invited to comment here, but I also open the discussion to anyone else who has some (name removed by moderator)ut.