Hi guys
I need your help. For the first time I feel that I might have a good opportunity to lead someone into the Catholic faith.
It’s a lady raised in a Baptist community.
Long story short:- We got to a point in the discussion where she asked are works necessary for salvation in the Catholic Church.
I’m thinking yes. So I said yes but that I would check with you guys.
Then she hit me with the thief on the cross.
I’m sorry I’m not very good at this. Leading someone into Catholicism is very difficult, can someone help please.
We are saved by faith in Jesus Christ not by our works.
Salvation is strictly from Christ and our faith in him.
Faith does have a works component in it. It is not truly faith to just say “I believe”. If you believe it show that you believe it. If you believe it it will manifest works in you.
Ephesians 2:8-10 says, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8-10 NASB)
Paul later says in Galatians 5:6?
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love. (Galatians 5:6 NASB)
Faith working through love…this is exactly what the Catholic Church teaches.
Paul talks about how he finished the race, he has kept the faith… Such statements describe an active faith so foreign in baptist theology. (2 Tim 4:7)
One must look at 1 Cor 13 with a closer look, Paul tells us three things remain, Faith, Hope, andLove and the GREATEST is love. Shouldn’t Faith be greatest? No because there is no true faith without a working love for God and man. Love by definition is an action and love is what brings faith to fruition. This is the saving faith demonstrated by the thief on the cross.
Finally James Chapter 2
What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected; and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “A nd A braham believed G od, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness,” and he was called the friend of God. You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead. (James 2:14-26 NASB)