Are works required for Gods mercy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter John121
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John121

Guest
Read St Faustinas book and it seems prayer is required for Gods mercy or/and sacrifice in some way please clarify ?
 
Provide a quote from the diary so people know what you’re talking about, and then they can respond appropriately.
 
See Matthew 25, verses 31 to 46 for what Jesus says about this matter.
 
I read Matthew 25:30 onwards I’m just not sure mercy will be granted in my case I have a feeling mercy is weighed on a scale but I’m not sure !
 
If you have confessed and been absolved, then you can reasonably ask for mercy from God.
And show your good faith by being merciful and forgiving to others as you would like God to be unto you.

Prayer is essential for building a relationship with God, which would include asking for mercy. But it’s not like you have to say a particular prayer to get mercy to come out, like putting money in a vending machine to get candy out.
 
From reading St Faustinas book she saved a lot of souls from the devil by prayer obediance and sacrifice and demons confessed this and Jesus was speaking to her of his mercy
 
God’s mercy is that our sins are absolved from our souls, so to speak. However, damage remains, and this damage must be repaired.

The damage is to ourselves, such as fostering attachment to sin, and generally, such as tempting others to sin or a loss incurred by one’s sin.

The spiritual damage caused by sin is repaired through prayer, fasting, and almsgiving, and potentially but not necessarily through other ways, such as direct restitution for what we have stolen.
 
Last edited:
Yes and no?

I can’t remember this priest’s name but I watched in on YouTube. He was talking about a saint. She wrote about her hearing about a murderer repenting right before he was put to death (kissed a crucifix). St Therese of Liseaux, I think, said that she felt that he was saved because of this little act.

The priest expressed that he felt angry because he does sooo much and he heard from God that if he were to continue with what he was doing in his life, he would not get into heaven.

He then explained that we have different capacities for God’s love and then we are saved when we use as much as we can. For the murderer, his little act was all he could do to show his love. But for the priest, it was nothing.

I don’t know how relevant this is. I thought it’s interesting because he didn’t need works or a life of prayer.

Of course, this is an incident of a person repenting in his last minutes. We have plenty of minutes, lol.
 
I don’t feel like a have a great capacity to love currently I wish I did but I’m to shocked by the reality of people going to hell every day and I’m still not clear if I’m going there over restitution problem that I can’t seem to get a clear answer from a priest on !
 
I’m quoting from the book “Handbook of Devotion to Divine Mercy.”

Begin Quote

Deeds of Mercy

The revelations given to Saint Faustina confirms this, in that it includes the need of practicing mercy towards one’s neighbor daily: . . .
By deed, word, or prayer, (Diary II,162) as a second foundation stone . . .
"If a soul does not exercise mercy in some way or other it will not obtain My mercy on judgement day. Oh, if only souls knew how to gather eternal treasure for themselves, they would not be judged, because even the strongest faith is of no avail without works (of mercy), for they would forstall my judgement with mercy," (IV,57).

End Quote

So, indeed some works of mercy are required, according to the above. There are many ways to go about it as can be seen below.

The Corporal Works of Mercy
  1. Feed the hungry.
  2. Give drink to the thirsty.
  3. Clothe the naked.
  4. Shelter the homeless.
  5. Comfort the imprisoned.
  6. Visit the sick.
  7. Bury the dead.
The Spiritual Works of Mercy
  1. Admonish sinners.
  2. Instruct the uninformed.
  3. Counsel the doubtful.
  4. Comfort the sorrowful.
  5. Be patient with those in error.
  6. Forgive offenses.
  7. Pray for the living and the dead.
Try to practice all or some of the above, every day, in line with what your current life situation will allow. Surely we are all capable of some.
 
Read Matthew 25:14-30. Those “Talents” can be taken as the charisms which the Holy Spirit grants us. We are intended to do something with those Talents/charisms to profit the giver of the gifts. Prayer is certainly primary - I would think - but our Lord also said “The poor you will always have with you, and you can do good to them whenever you want…”
 
We are given faith. We have to accept it. One thing we believe in is God’s mercy.
Our faith can’t be hidden away. It must be invested. The way we do that is in good works. Forgive us as we forgive others.

You would have to be God to understand how God measures out mercy. None of us deserve it but we hope for it.
 
I get confused by reparation people talk about after being absolved.
 
Although our sins are forgiven in confession, there are effects of the sin which must be “repaired,” hence the need for reparations. There are always spiritual effects, and usually material effects.
 
It seems to me that if you have confessed the sin sacramentally, you would not go to Hell, but if the reparations are incomplete, you would need to stay “longer” in Purgatory.
 
Last edited:
But like lets say I lied two months ago, or 5, or a year? Do those have to be repaired for forgiveness? My priest sort of made it seem like it is a judgement thing?
 
I don’t know what you mean by “a judgement thing”!

Prayer, fasting, and almsgiving are each a way of performing acts of reparation.
 
Oh I was referring to when one lies to another or deceives and judges letting it go
 
Grace precedes everything. Our response to that grace involves believing, first of all, and seeking, praying, works such as those in Eph 2:10, helping others, loving God and neighbor. Grace is “invested” and justice and nearness to God grows, grace leading to more grace, holiness to more holiness.
 
You’re talking about reparation to people on earth for what you did.
You should do what your conscience and common sense tells you to do. If you lied 5 years ago, it might be the whole situation has moved on and there’s no reason to ever bring that up. But if there’s any impact from your lie now then you should make it right. The priest wants you to follow your conscience in that regard.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top