Are You a Convert or a Revert?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TrueLight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I paid good attention! The saying somewhere is, that if you train a child well, he will return to his roots after making a U-turn into non-religious ways. I reverted around 37 years old because I remembered those truths and knew where to go. What a wonderful journey it has been to come home!
😛 Then I guess I must have too. 🤷 You are so funny. 😃

BTW, " The saying somewhere is" in the Bible which is one reason it came to pass for you and me.

Proverbs 22: [6] Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.
 
Church Militant:
. . . and when he is old
he will not depart from it.

:rotfl:Well, I guess we’re “lifers” in our old age, set in our ways, ne’er to depart again. Thanks for the bible verse!
 
Convert: ex-agnostic. Just undergoing RCIA right now!

God bless all
 
Convert.

Raised Presbyterian, but not baptized (5th child and my parents never “got around to it”). Baptized in Presbyterian church at 16. By early 20s I was an agnostic, but really atheist in all but name. Swam the Tiber at 34 (through the grace I saw in my wife who made the swim 3 years before me).
 
I’ve got kind of a roundabout story…

My mother was Catholic, dad was Quaker. They married in the Catholic church and had all of us kids baptized Catholic, but since my dad never totally understood the Catholic church we never attended.

When I was about 9 we joined a Methodist church as a family. I always knew that I was baptized in a Catholic church, but I never would have considered myself a Catholic. I always identified myself as Methodist.

I met and married my husband who was a cradle Catholic from a large Irish Catholic family. But at the time we met and got married, he was not active in the Church. He was 28 when we got married and had probably been away from the church for 10 years or more. So when we got married, we got married in the Methodist church I grew up in.

We went to that church for a while and had our two oldest children baptized there. But as the years went by both of us realized that something was missing, though it took us a while to figure out what to do.

DH’s mom passed away in December of 2009, and after we’d been back to England to his home parish I think that was the turning point that made both of us realize that we were being led back to the Church. We started going to Mass when we got back home, met with our priest right away and arranged to have our marriage convalidated in February 2010. We found out I was pregnant with our third son in April 2010, I started RCIA in September of 2010 because I’d never had my first communion or confirmation. Baby was baptized in March 2011, and I received the sacraments in April at the Easter Vigil. Our two oldest boys are in sacrament prep class this year and they will be initiated into the Church at the Easter Vigil 2012.

So on paper I guess I’m a revert, but by life experience I feel more like a convert since I didn’t truly know I was considered Catholic all this time.
 
Convert here. I grew up nothing, started going to a baptist church in high school and bounced around a bit through college. Landed in a United Methodist church and then converted about 4 years ago. 👍
 
I am what is known as a “cradle Catholic” – have been a Catholic all my life – have NEVER thought of leaving – go to Mass every day to receive Jesus in the Eucharist and at my age that’s the only thing that keeps me going. My children/grandchildren live many MILES away and Jesusin the Eucharist is with me all through the day. I would NEVER think of leaving the Catholic Church, and I find it difficult to understand from some of the comments in this Forum why some Catholics would consider leaving!!!
 
My faith journey goes something like this: baptized Catholic, to under-catechized boy, to pre-adolescent holy roller, to doubtful, skeptic Catholic just getting to study science and materialism, to weak agnostic, to strong agnostic, to athiest, to strong agnostic, to weak agnostic, to ex-Catholic with a guilty conscience, to intense prayer and reader, to revert.
 
I was a member of a semi-mega Baptist church. I never felt a sense of anything sacred. They portrayed Jesus as the primary person of God, and gave little to no acknowledgement to God the Father and the Holy Spirit. Then I moved to South Carolina, where, ironically, is where I became friends with a Catholic, and decided to convert.
 
i am a convert, although i feel as though i have been Catholic my whole life. i was baptized in the episcopal church at the age of 2 and loved church as a little girl. i wanted to live in the church i loved it so much. the episcopal church (the u.s. branch of the anglican communion) is very similar to Catholic. it is liturgical, has saints, a 3 year cycle.
i developed a love for the liturgy at a young age. i learned the our father and the apostle and nicene creeds. my father’s side of the family was Catholic, some practicing and some not. i was confirmed in the episcopal church at 16. i really wanted to be Catholic and at one time hoped to be a nun, then decided i wanted to be married and have children.
however, like most people, i went off to college and fell away from organized religion.
i would return to an episcopal church every now and then for Christmas Eve service or Easter, but i just didn’t really know what i believed. in my 40’s, i was invited to some protestant churches by friends, but i missed holy communion. i began to study Judaism and then Catholicism and converted to the Catholic church at the age of 56.
my faith has grown so much in the past 3 1/2 years since i converted. my faith is deeper.
i LOVE being Catholic. next summer will be my 4 year anniversary.
 
I was never baptised in any church since my mother is Anglican and my father is Catholic and they couldn’t decide which to raise me and my sister as. My mother took us church every Sunday as children but we attended a Catholic school (not on purpose, it was the only private school around). When I was 8 years old I chose to become Catholic and I was baptised when I was 12. I feel away for a while but I took RCIA when I was 17 for as Confirmation preparation. So I’m technically a convert and a revert, but I was so young when I converted I’ve never really thought of it like that. 😃
 
I admit I could be dead wrong on this, but I feel like almost everyone on CAF is an ex-Protestant. So I thought I’d create this little poll for fun.

Are you a convert from any religion?

If you are a convert, which religion did you convert from? Ex-atheists and agnostics are welcome to respond as well.

If you are a revert, were you a cradle Catholic (baptised Catholic as a baby)? Which religion or lack thereof, did you revert from? 😃

Looking forward to seeing the responses!
I feel left out, but I chose convert anyway… I was a convert who had a catholic baptism! And I wouldn’t say I exactly converted from protestantism, though the situation surrounding my conversion lead me to a great understanding of protestant non-denominational teachings.
 
Let me see. I’m kind of complicated when it comes to religion.
I was born in a Catholic Hospital and was baptized there. I was born on Oct. 28, feast days of St. Jude and St. Simon. My name at that time was Judith Simone (female for Jude and Simon.)
I was given up for adoption at age 2 and was renamed. I was also baptized in the United Church of Christ, where I attended until I graduated from High School.
As a teen, I always loved to babysit for my neighbor, while doing so I could read about her Catholic faith. 🙂
I married a man whose father was a Penticostal minister. We went to a different church every time we went to church, his Dad scared us, really scared me!
My hubby died when we were 28. I was engaged at age 34 to a minister in the Church of Christ and was once again baptized, this time by immersion. I did not marry him. After I broke up with him, I went to different churches with my children and then started going to the nearest Catholic Church. In 1987 I became Catholic.
Having been able to get a hold of my original birth certificate and finding out about my earliest baptism, it appears that I was baptized Catholic at birth. And maybe that’s why I wandered from church to church and religion to religion when I was younger, I was trying to find my way back home. 🙂
 
Cradle Catholic, I was in Catholic school from 1st grade-12th. I was always very pious and obsessed with the rosary. My room is filled with holy cards, rosaries, icons, books about saints, etc. When I was little I wanted to be a priest and I wanted my sister to be a nun because then I’d always be near her (in my mind it made sense).
 
I selected “revert,” though I should’ve probably selected “convert” instead. I was baptized into the Church as an infant, though my family didn’t practice the faith. Prior to my confirmation in 2006, I attended Episcopal, Lutheran, Baptist and non-denominational evangelical churches, and it was in the Lutheran church that I first committed my life to Christ.

So, am I a convert or revert? I don’t care what label you apply. I’m Catholic 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top