I’m only speculating here but I think Bonnie and Lisa were referring to some charismatic music choirs that play a different brand of church music. And I agree with Lisa’s suggestion to seek instead for a mass/parish that’s more to your temperament. I’m sure there’s one near you. But I just want to clarify that we are not being led away from the Church just because we play a different style of music.
We play/sing for the 1pm mass in our parish and it is very different from the choir in the 9am mass. But I don’t believe that we are guilty of any sacrilege because of our musical selection. Of course the solemnity and reverence of the Mass should be respected and observed but I don’t believe that it’s being broken because the choir plays a contemporary song instead of a traditional church song.
Lastly, I want to say that I have great respect for our Protestant brothers and sisters for their fervor and zeal in loving Jesus and proclaiming the gospel. It has been a personal prayer intention of mine that the Church will get revived by many Protestant converts and inject nominal Catholics sitting in their pews with the fire and zeal that they’ve had from their Protestant days. Just imagine if you take the passion and fire of pastors from the mega churches but equip them with the Truth of the Catholic Church that lukewarm, cradle Catholics will get inspired and trully get their Bibles and spread the Gospel to the world. Like how it was in the days of St. Peter and St. Paul and St. Barnabas and St. James, etc.
In Christ,
OMGJ