E
exoflare
Guest
I’m well aware of the difference between lying and playing make-believe, although I would like to ask the same question of some people here. The difference is that playing make-believe doesn’t involve willful deceit. When we played such things as “cops and robbers” as kids, for example, none of us were actually under the impression that we really became either legitimate officers of the law or convicted criminals. That would be ridiculous. But it doesn’t matter that none of it was real since it was all just for fun and a good exercise of imagination. Reading and listening to stories about Santa flying around the world and dropping presents down chimneys, or playing Santa at Christmas in some way is similarly harmless.Did you fail to read or understand the post above about the difference between lies and story/fable?
Is there some difficulty in being able to discern the difference between a lie and make-believe?
Most people readily understand. Children make believe all the time. Adults with a spirit of fun and play do also. This is the polar opposite of lying.
It becomes a lie when you try to deceive a child into thinking the stories are the reality, even when the child seriously wants to know the truth. And THIS is the point which never gets addressed when I bring it up. Instead it gets met with equivocation fallacies and irrelevant appeals to emotion like being the Grinch, or calling into question whether I’m any fun at parties.
Again I don’t even think it’s that serious of a lie, and really I don’t care that much if other parents tell it to their children. I’m more just utterly fascinated at how so many people are so hell-bent on refusing to call a spade a spade whenever this particular topic comes up.