As a Catholic, whats your opinion on space exploration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gilgamesh8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gilgamesh8

Guest
Do you ever think we will ever reach the stars? It goes against our beliefs about the day of judgement and bible.
 
Last edited:
Not at all. There is nothing in Catholic theology that says that reaching the stars would be against the beliefs of the Catholic Church. And frankly I don’t even know why a question like this would come up. I would go the other way around, we SHOULD be exploring this great big universe our God has created.

It was a Roman Catholic priest who came up with th Big Bang after all…
 
Part of my bucket list is seeing Saturn up close and living on Mars, so we’d better get space exploration and terraforming under way quickly. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Uranus up close, but that’s just to crack a few crude joke to whoever I’m travelling with.
 
Do you ever think we will ever reach the stars? It goes against our beliefs about the day of judgement and bible.
Huh? It doesn’t go against anything of the sort. Not sure who the “our” is in “our beliefs” but the Church has never said anything against space travel for peaceful purposes.

Space travel is awesome. The only moral issue with it is whether the taxpayer money spent on it might be better spent for some other purpose, which depends on the reason for the space mission and the cost/ benefit ratio.
 
Space is both terrifying and beautiful. Ever since the image of the black hole was released, my interest in space has grown quite a bit.
The same goes for the ocean, it’s so vast and still holds a lot to discover.
 
I have unpopular political opinions involving NASA, so I am going to not my mention my opinion on that. However, I have no problem with space exploration, in and of itself.
 
The sun is a second generation star. We don’t really want to reach the sun, we will get burnt up!
 
As a Catholic, whats your opinion on space exploration?
I feel robbed of the possibility of ever seeing humans achieve intergalactic space travel. I’ll be long gone before it happens.

My opinion is that NASA and private space companies should work together to build a self sustaining Space-Ark (a generational ship with it’s own planet-like ecosystem) and send it to Alpha Centauri.
 
There is a really interesting video about what would happen if a human were to fall into the cloud surface of Jupiter, and how far they would get.

Another terrifying, but also amazing, video I found was about the different sounds the planets make.
 
Yes! I love that video so much. Saturn wins a giant blue ribbon for the scariest sounds.
 
It’s amazing, but my private feeling is that. It’s frivolous in the sense that billions spent by nations could be better used to help people in need on earth, and many people are in desperate, lifelong, unaddressed need, or periodical dire need.

Realistically there are no reasonable, only mostly science fiction hopes of finding a near enough safe planet for humans to relocate to and probably set about gradually ruining.
For the countless billions spent in various nations, ,relatively little has actually been achieved that, in honest reality, benefits human beings.
It’s fascinating, but fails regarding the gospel command expressed by Jesus, to love others as ourselves. “Love God above all, others as ourselves”.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top