As a Catholic, whats your opinion on space exploration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gilgamesh8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s fascinating, but fails regarding the gospel command expressed by Jesus, to love others as ourselves. “Love God above all, others as ourselves”.
Don’t you know about the eleventh commandment, the unspoken commission given to us by God?😀…

…to become masters of the universe.
 
Last edited:
Does Laudato Si apply to space exploration? Because mining space may be the next lucrative venture.
 
Developing technology for space travel has helped us tremendously. I used to have a book that documented many of the breakthroughs that we are using in our daily lives. Much of it is medicine related.

I believe God made us inquisitive to explore.
 
For the countless billions spent in various nations, ,relatively little has actually been achieved that, in honest reality, benefits human beings
So you are using a device operating using integrated circuits and sending information around the world over a globe-spanning network, neither of which would have been possible without some of the basic developments from the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs, not to mention the Shuttle program and International Space Station basic scientific research, and space exploration has had little benefit for mankind?

Riiiiiight… Now tell me another one.
 
Project Orion was intended to do that, but it was scrapped on account of being both impractical and running afoul of treaties regulating nuclear weapons (an Orion drive works by launching nukes out the stern and detonating them, using the ship’s armor as a sail to accelerate the ship with the energy from the explosion.) It would still take 40 years for a one-way trip to Alpha Centauri, and the ship would have to be several times the size of an aircraft carrier to have enough armor to withstand using nuclear bombs as an engine.
 
Last edited:
Do not discount the value of astronomy in winning souls to Christ, for it is written, “The Heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament manifests His handiwork.” Many atheists have been converted on account of being overcome by awe at the intricacy of the universe.
 
We observe sufficient information through large telescopes, and I stand by what I said. Billions has been spent and will be spent and countless real human beings are not protectioed or cared for.
And in any case, it is Science that has taken the faith of many whom I personally know, and many in this world. Science maybe compatible with faith, yet still it is as likely to destroy the mystery as to enhance it.

When Jesus describes upon how He as judge of souls, makes judgement, it was regarding practical kindness to others.

He is God, He is the judge, for elucidation, Matthew 25 verses 31-46.
 
Last edited:
Oh do I LOVE space and everything space related. It reminds me of the sheer beauty, and the amazing amount of care and love God put into creating our wonderful universe. Space travel is an amazing step forward in humanity, and I was exhilarated to see NASA making plans to go back to the moon and to head to Mars.

Not to mention Asteroid mining is a fantastic concept taken straight from fiction that can benefit humanity immensely. If we get space travel going we can have great prosperity. All the money we spend in space could be very much worth it in the long run.

But of course, we should fix our problems at home too.
 
Personally, I’ve always been fascinated with space exploration since I was a kid. As a Catholic, I see no reason why we shouldn’t explore the Universe God created. On a practical note, I believe that we’d ensure the survival of our species and civilization by becoming a spacefaring, God willing in time; and starfaring civilization and expand into a multi planet species.
 
Personally, I’ve always been fascinated with space exploration since I was a kid. As a Catholic, I see no reason why we shouldn’t explore the Universe God created. On a practical note, I believe that we’d ensure the survival of our species and civilization by becoming a spacefaring, God willing in time; and starfaring civilization and expand into a multi planet species.
There is no reason this would have to interfere with our capacity to also perform the corporal and spiritual works of mercy, so I think it is a reasonable use of our resources. It is necessary that we do it in a way that it is not allowed to have an adverse impact on our duties, such as love of neighbor and the stewardship of the planet we have actually been given to take care of.

As it is, satellite technology now allows poor people in remote places to engage in commerce electronically, making them safer and their lives more manageable than when they had to hazard taking hard currency to and from banks or carry it on their persons. It allows them to have access to health care professionals that are too far away (and therefore too expensive and unrealistic) to see in person. Technology can obviously be used not just to benefit the most privileged, but can help everyone.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top