Ask A Protestant

• Thread starter Thread starter grantklentzman1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it would be. Thinking about one Protestant community here in the UK, the Church of England, you’d get different answers depending on their churchmanship.

Sorry, no questions from me. Having spent 40 years in Protestantism (as deacon, elder, doing Bible College) before I returned to Catholicism… I have no more questions.

Before I say my answer, I want you to understand that I am not personally attacking you or questioning your sincerity as a Catholic. I think the main reason I’m not Catholic is because I believe that the Roman Catholic Church offers a partially works-based gospel and salvation experience. From what I’ve understood, there’s almost no way to really have assurance of going to heaven apart from doing good things, going to confession when you make mistakes, attending mass regularly, having faith in God, and hopefully having your sins being purged out in purgatory. That may not be what you personally believe, but that’s what I understood Catholicism to be as a Catholic for roughly 16 years. My main hang-up is I personally believe in the idea of being justified by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. No other works are necessary for obtaining a place in heaven. The works are only the fruit or results of genuine faith in Jesus. You may not agree with this, but this is what my thoughts are regarding this.

Although I don’t like to limit myself to a denomination, I would say that I align closest to Southern Baptist Theology and those beliefs are explained in the Baptist Faith & Message 2000.

What do you mean by a wrong interpretation of the Bible? Can you explain so that I can better understand and answer your question?

Can you elaborate on what you mean so that I can better understand and answer your question?

I align most closely with Southern Baptist Theology which is better explained in The Baptist Faith and Message 2000.

I think that over time, people start having different opinions on different doctrines. The reason for that varies depending on the case. Some may be troubled by that, but I think the main thing to understand is that humans don’t determine what is truth. They discover truth. It doesn’t matter if the six blind men are totally oblivious to the elephant in front of them. An elephant is still an elephant. I hope what I’ve said makes sense

Do you believe on once saved always saved? Can someone who was absolutely sincere at their baptism ever lose it? No matter what?

Can you define what you mean by dispensationalism so that I can understand and answer your question better?

Just to be clear, I don’t believe that people are saved through Baptism or that’s it is necessary for salvation. I believe that people are saved as soon as they genuinely put their trust in Jesus as their savior.

I believe that people are saved as soon as they genuinely put their trust in Jesus as their savior.
Thank you for your answer to that. Then I will ask something similar… do you believe that as soon as someone genuinely puts their trust in Jesus as their savior, they can’t ever lose salvation? Even if they lose that faith or by any sin?

I don’t believe that someone can lose that faith because I believe that God holds won’t allow that to happen (see John 10:27-29). No sin can separate one from God after they have personally trusted in Jesus. The reason is because what Jesus did on the cross is powerful enough to forgive any sin.

The reason is because what Jesus did on the cross is powerful enough to forgive any sin.
Does that mean you believe everybody is saved automatically? Or does faith bring those fruits of Christ’s Crucifixion?
I don’t believe that someone can lose that faith because I believe that God holds won’t allow that to happen
I see. Do you believe in free will? I kinda forgot whether or not Baptists were those who denied free will or not…

Do you believe it’s possible to interpret the Bible incorrectly? Say two individuals read the same bible passage, but they come up with two wildly different interpretations of what the passage means. What criteria should be used to judge the correctness of the interpretation? For Catholics, the final say in interpretation would be the magisterium, so I’m wondering what you think about that.

Peace

The way I understand it, it is the belief that before end times unfold, God’s promises to the Jews will be fulfilled. And only then can the end times begin, and promises to the gentiles will be fulfilled.

This leads to the belief of a secret “rapture”, like the Left Behind series of books portrayed.

Last edited:
We do believe in free will from what I’ve understood over my years of being a Baptist.

Do you think it was wrong for John Smyth to baptize himself, considering that is not how it was ever done in the Bible?
Also, who gave him the authority to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back