G
guanophore
Guest
There is much “poured in” at baptism, but none of it is doctrine. We are transformed spiritually, so that we are opened and able to be taught “like newborn babes” we are to seek nourishment.Except when I was baptized I knew nothing about matters of faith, the Catholic faith or any religion. So I could not lose the Catholic faith you believe was infused into me that I knew nothing about until much later.
There are many such Catholics who were very poorly catechized (I was one) and cannot “lose” a faith you never acquired. When one does not build on the seal of baptism by growing in the faith, one can easily find oneself adrift.
Yes. I did not really begin to understand the meaning of my baptism until I left the CC and began going to Baptist Bible studies.Sure once I knew more, then I could have lost it. But I have not lost all Christian faith. Not by a long shot. And others actually come to faith be it in God or in Christ to begin with before they seek baptism.
There are some that acquire the graces of baptism through a desire to be raised with Christ even though they don’t realize that they need to be physically baptized. Fortunately, God is not constrained by the sacraments He has provided for us.