Again, it has less to do with me being Christian, than my positing the existence of a God. As an atheist, if you kill someone, you must believe that you have done one of the worst possible things to that person.
As a Christian, I believe that killing that person is potentially, but not necessarily one of the worst possible things I could do to them but it is far from the worst possible thing that could happen to them (that would be damnation). Further, I believe that unless the killing is lawful (i.e., done in the defense of others, during a just war, etc.) that I am prohibited from killing period.
That being said, I also believe that death is not the end. We are all destined to die, but ultimately our real life begins at death. If in the past God chose to order his people to commit what we today would consider genocide, that is in part because God knows that how we die here has less impact on eternal life than how we live here. I am not sure why God did ordain such actions in the past; perhaps to show us how little such actions really gain us – after all, the Israelites still ended up turning away from God.
Finally, I also believe that God no longer ordains such actions. Those actions were done in the past, and the era of general revelation is over. I.e., no Christian these days can claim that God has ordered us to exterminate a whole people.
Now in contrast atheistic and materialistic philosophies have frequently claimed that it was morally required in this day and age to kill on a massive scale. Even today there are still people who view Stalin as a hero. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, any one of them managed to match the atrocities of centuries of the Israelites or Christians or Muslims – but they managed to do it in a single generation.
So the question is, do you reject Christian morality because you don’t believe in God, or do you reject God because you reject Christian morality.
Oh yeah, one last question… if one is an atheist, what motive does one have to be good?
–
Bill