L
lozeerose
Guest
Here’s the deal, my wife, who is not a Catholic, is attending a Bible study/history class at her Baptist church. I knew that she was attending this class on Sunday mornings but she just let me in on the details of the class.
She’s been going for the last 3 weeks and I’ve asked how things are going, etc to make conversation because we never talk religion in our house. Anyway, she told me that they are going over the formation of the Canon and what makes certain book canonical and others not. Obviously this cause my ears to perk up and I asked if her invitation for me to attend with her was still on the table (it is a young couples group).
Now I was clear with my reasons:
She’s been going for the last 3 weeks and I’ve asked how things are going, etc to make conversation because we never talk religion in our house. Anyway, she told me that they are going over the formation of the Canon and what makes certain book canonical and others not. Obviously this cause my ears to perk up and I asked if her invitation for me to attend with her was still on the table (it is a young couples group).
Now I was clear with my reasons:
*]Learn their side of the Canon story.
*]Defend the Church.
*]Ensure proper history and context.
*]Challenge.
*]Evangelize.
Last week they discussed the “Apocryphal” books, including the Deuterocanon and this week (and those following) they are planning on going over these books. Not sure what the context is yet.
My primary question is, should I attend this class? My faith is strong and I am fairly knowledgeable (no pro apologist or bible scholar) of these subjects.
Does anyone have any brief but solid resources concerning the individual books of the Deuterocanon, etc.
Thanks and God bless.