L
Lisa_N
Guest
That is true. They do cover world events and have for some time. One of the reasons that we were so shocked about 9/11 is that our foreign press has just disappeared in recent years. The few foreign correspondents such as CNN sold their souls to devils to stay in Bagdhad instead of exposing Saddam’s atrocities.One big difference is that Star and National Enquirer provide mostly personality-driven news coverage. I’ll grant the BBC does this as part of its product, but the difference is that the news is from much more diverse points…
Oh I agree and one of the things that most irks me about our MSM is that they consider entertainment news REAL news. I couldn’t care less about Ben and Jen’s relationship or who got kicked off American Idol.For instance, is today’s story about a call to arrest Kenya’s first lady really legitimate news and a real freedom of press issue, or is it just tabloid journalism dishing dirt about a personality, who the BBC opposes because of sympathy for the other party, a news organisation? I can’t say for sure, but I’d sure rather read about that than the latest Brad Pitt scoop you’d find in the rags you mentioned…
Fox is a different medium than NYT or CSM. There are rarely in depth stories on TV. Just short soundbites. OTOH Fox does provide stories that the MSM tends to bury or hide or spin. I will say one thing, I have not heard of Fox News fabricating stories as with CBS or NYT. I criticize them for their superficial stories and focus on fluff. But I don’t think they 'make it up as they go along.Also, several people endorsed FoxNews. It’s ok as far as it goes, but unfortunately I haven’t found the coverage to be particularly deep compared with NYT or CSM, and I think the scope is quite poor. As an example of the latter, I found no mention of the no-confidence vote which passed against the government of Canada yesterday.
Lisa N