Sometimes the issue of religious assent confuses me. For example with the Papal bulls which authorize forced servitude for prisoners of war
It is my understanding that religious assent refers to submission
to a teaching. I don’t think the papal bulls you’re asking about qualify. They don’t seem to be doctrinal decrees, but something like a declaration of war, and thus I think it is a category error to talk about religious assent in regard to them. They aren’t even commands. They give the go-ahead to some war plans, but I don’t think they analyze these plans in the light of the Church’s just war doctrine. Thus, I don’t think religious assent is required for their contents.
If the papal documents authorizing war against Muslims and pagans from that time shock us, though, I think the best thing to do is to assume that those documents don’t tell the whole story, assume that their authors were not trying to do evil, and try not to judge peoples’ hearts, especially from six hundred years in the future. We don’t know what their level of understanding was, and I think there is plenty of evidence in other documents from the time (and in the ones in question) that they showed a more merciful attitude to their enemies than they appear to at first glance.
I’m sorry if I can’t be more help than that, but I haven’t done enough research myself to think I have a full understanding of those documents.
or which say that it can be the will of the Holy Spirit to burn heretics…
I think there are several things we can say about the document that you are referring to, but first I think we should quote it.
Exsurge Domine by Pope Leo X seems to object to the following thesis, without specifying the reason for the objection: “That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit.”
One reason why the pope could have objected to that thesis is because it doesn’t carry appropriate qualifications or context, and thus could confuse people. Death by burning was a legal punishment for several crimes both in the 16th century and under the Old Testament – Leviticus 20:14, 21:9. Without the proper context, the thesis that heretics, specifically, could not be burned could lead to confusion about this. For example, people at that time might wonder, how come serious crimes carry the punishment of burning, but heretics are exempt? If someone is condemned to die by fire for other reasons than heresy, can they escape the punishment by declaring themselves a heretic? Because “that heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit.”
That thesis, without the proper context, could also call into doubt the morality of the Old Testament. The Old Testament laws that require the Jews to burn some sinners do not make an exception for deserters from their faith. Without explanation, to say that burning such a person is against the will of the Holy Spirit seems to say that the Law of Moses was against the will of the Holy Spirit. The pope could have thought this would confuse the faithful, and therefore forbade it to be taught in the form it appears in the document.
I also think it’s important to point out the limitations within Exsurge Domine. It might not mean the thesis in question is an absolute error. Perhaps it could be rehabilitated with the appropriate context, such as “In the New Law, it seems doubtful that the Holy Spirit wills the burning of criminals.” If Martin Luther had provided such a context in the thesis, rather than limiting it only to heretics, I don’t think it would have been listed as “against Catholic truth.”
Exsurge Domine may not even imply that the proposition is definitely heretical. The pope says that the theses quoted are “either heretical, scandalous, false, offensive to pious ears or seductive of simple minds, and against Catholic truth.” In
this article, Jimmy Akin seems to argue that this means the theses in Exsurge Domine are rejected with a condition: some of them may not be “false,” if explained in context, but were “seductive of simple minds,” and could be clarified in order to be safely taught.
If that explanation is reasonable, then it reminds me of how some books by faithful Catholic authors used to be put on the Index of Prohibited Books until they could be examined by a theologian and approved. Perhaps Exsurge Domine is, in part, like that: he put many of Martin Luther’s potentially dangerous statements in one document, some of which could be defended if the appropriate qualifications or context were provided.
What does religious assent mean and why do we give it if the statement is fallible?
I think to submit your intellect and will to something means to accept its authority without contradiction. Thus, a man should not contradict a pope’s teaching, not even if it has not been proposed infallibly. I don’t think that automatically means we must agree with the pope’s fallible teachings, but if we defended a contrary position, even to ourselves, I think that would be a refusal to submit our will. Perhaps, if we felt unable to agree with a fallible teaching, the best thing to do would be to withhold judgment until a future clarification by the Church came along. Does that seem reasonable?
I myself don’t understand what religious assent exactly means, but Cardinal Ratzinger tried to explain it in the document “Doctrinal Commentary on the Concluding Formula of the Professio fidei” Paragraph 10. The document can be found at the following link if you scroll down almost halfway:
vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_1998_professio-fidei_en.html (Scroll to nearly halfway down.)
Also, how or why would it ever be the Holy Spirit’s will to burn a heretic?
I hope the above explanation helps you understand how I interpret that part.